No announcement yet.

James Tillis.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Tillis.

I was watching some of his fights earlier and sometimes he would show a resemblance to Ali. Dude had some talent...

Originally posted by Nick Fury View Post
    I was watching some of his fights earlier and sometimes he would show a resemblance to Ali. Dude had some talent...
    Hence the nick name 'Ouick'

Was touted for the very top during the early 80's

Was also the first man to take 'Iron' Mike the full 10..

Came into the ring wearing cowboy gear.. Although he didn't win any titles, you're right. The dude did have some talent...

Comment

Yeah I watched him against Tyson the other day on ESPN Classic. And after i saw him fight there I decided to do some research. I think if he had more drive and just that hunger to fight...I think he would have been a champion. It just wasn't in him.

Comment

Tillis faced some damn good names. Too bad he didn't go further than he did. The guy seemed pretty talented.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Fury View Post
          Yeah I watched him against Tyson the other day on ESPN Classic. And after i saw him fight there I decided to do some research. I think if he had more drive and just that hunger to fight...I think he would have been a champion. It just wasn't in him.
          For Sure..

He won his first 20 fights, beating the likes of Earnie Shavers & Ron Stander along the way.. He then gave Mike Weaver plenty to think about, while dropping a 15 round decision for the WBA title... I believe that was his only crack at it though...
          Tillis then became a very up & down fighter, probably losing more than he won, & kinda took up the post of trial horse.. There were stamina issues to... He would often win the first few rounds, before gassing out... He got up for it when fighting Gerrie Coetzee in South Africa though.. Although outpointed, he sent Coetzee to hospital with a few teeth missing... After this, he got stopped in most of his fights & carried on well into his 40's... If more dedicated, he had the ability to be very good, but not great...

Comment

Always did like Tillis. Never went as far as he should have. He lost to some good boxers in Page, Thomas, Williams & Witherspoon before he met Mike. I don't know if it happened pre or post Mike Tyson but it was disappointing seeing him lose to the likes of Frazier and Bugner. Tillis will most likely go down as another case of 'what if' that we can speculate about.

Comment

Am thinking about geting his book any one read it?

Comment

Originally posted by CCobra View Post
                Always did like Tillis. Never went as far as he should have. He lost to some good boxers in Page, Thomas, Williams & Witherspoon before he met Mike. I don't know if it happened pre or post Mike Tyson but it was disappointing seeing him lose to the likes of Frazier and Bugner. Tillis will most likely go down as another case of 'what if' that we can speculate about.
                He was allergic to the fighter's diet of milk and eggs, which sapped his stamina.When they found out about it, it was probably too late to reverse his earlier setbacks in his career.In truth, the loss to Pinklon Thomas probably hurt him the most, since it began some strings of losses, and he had the ability to beat Pink.

Comment

Working...
                X