Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boxers who like to uppercut rather than using the hook.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers who like to uppercut rather than using the hook.

I noticed that alot of people in my gym don't uppercut very much but they use their hooks.

I am the exact opposite, I don't like to use the hook, I'd rather uppercut.

The people I know go jab straight lhook straight.

I go Jab straight l.upper r.upper

My question is... if you tend to uppercut more than usual do you have some sort of advantage over boxers who use hooks instead?

i favor both uppercuts and hooks when on the inside and sometimes hooks for long range attacks or leaping. ive never thrown an uppercut unless i was close enough to kiss the man. then i gave him my kiss, AN UPPERCUT FROM HELL

Comment

No it doesn't give you much of an advantage. The uppercut is an inside/close range punch, you can try to use it from the outside but its dangerous since it leaves you open.

Honesly i woulnd't focus on only using uppercut, you need to make use of everything you can. If you have a good uppercut, great but that doesn't mean that you shouldnt use your hook.

Personally i like using my uppercut right after my right hook.(I'm a southpaw)

I throw my hook either to the head or the body and come right back with an uppercut using the same hand.

A great fighter that used that too was Mike Tyson, Andre Berto does it too.

Comment

paul williams has the dopest style. sooo relaxed, watch how he throws uppercuts n hooks.
        its all timing also. watch how he (in particular) times his ****. soo clean.
        Last edited by Lovely; 02-05-2009, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Problem with being relaxed is it doesn't have much power. Compare his left hook to the body to cotto. Cotto will hurt u bad williams just hits u

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
            No it doesn't give you much of an advantage. The uppercut is an inside/close range punch, you can try to use it from the outside but its dangerous since it leaves you open.

Honesly i woulnd't focus on only using uppercut, you need to make use of everything you can. If you have a good uppercut, great but that doesn't mean that you shouldnt use your hook.

Personally i like using my uppercut right after my right hook.(I'm a southpaw)

I throw my hook either to the head or the body and come right back with an uppercut using the same hand.

A great fighter that used that too was Mike Tyson, Andre Berto does it too.

Couldn't of said it any better. Throwing a uppercut from the outside is dangerous and leaves you very exposed. This is why they are used inside.

Throwing a hook leaves you exposed as well, yes. However, you still have some guard(If you throw the hook properly).

Comment

Working...
            X