Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love Messi but he'll never surpass Maradona. Deal with it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

lol. aight. yes, yes i can watch that and still say yes.
    really??? a video with Ronaldo mostly dribbling in dead zones and not really getting anywhere. I'm sure you didn't really watch the Messi video. Cuz Messi is actually going through opponents and getting to the net. This is something he does each and every game he plays. Ronaldo pulls those tricks every onces in a while.

Great player no doubt, but he isn't as good as Messi IMO.

Comment

Zidane did drift in and out of games, I agree with that, I thought he still used to do that toward the end of his Madrid career, but by the same token, when he turned in a performance, he could win games on his own with individual brilliance, only not against lesser teams, we're talking the CL final(Leyverkusen), dragging France to the WC final under Domenech, scoring the winning goals to clinch the 98 WC, single handedly turning the England-France Euro 2004 game on its head.

Italy won 2006 WC, but Zidane was still voted player of the tourney, that says it all. Remember his performance against Italy before getting sent off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
        Zidane did drift in and out of games, I agree with that, I thought he still used to do that toward the end of his Madrid career, but by the same token, when he turned in a performance, he could win games on his own with individual brilliance, only not against lesser teams, we're talking the CL final(Leyverkusen), dragging France to the WC final under Domenech, scoring the winning goals to clinch the 98 WC, single handedly turning the England-France Euro 2004 game on its head.

Italy won 2006 WC, but Zidane was still voted player of the tourney, that says it all. Remember his performance against Italy before getting sent off?
        Glad someone else thinks this also.. for me he is easily the greatest modern day player and has a possible shout for the greatest.. he has done it on EVERY stage and has come up massively in the finals like you said.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
          according to who?

IMO if you're just talking about the player himself, Messi is the better player no doubt.

If you want to add in team awards, than he probably won't surpass Maradona(as it looks now cuz Argentina can't compete with the top tier teams with their current roster).

But as I said, TEAM accomplishments should not define a player in soccer.
          You do realise that maradona played in a very hostile era where defenders could tackle from behind and destroy your ankles. If maradona played in this era of football where a minor touch would get you sent off, he would absolutely dominate.

Team accomplishments are important and they are the reason why messi is praised to this degree. Do you really think messi would be praised to this degree if he didn't win champions league with barca..i certainly doubt it. This isn't american sports where you can talk individual players while ignoring their team skills. This is real football and teamwork maketh the man. If maradona played in this era he would destroy messi with the easy defending which would let him dribble/pass instead of defenders tackling you from behind and hacking at your ankles. Also maradona waas a tactical genius and a born leader who motivated players...messi is a born introvert who can't motivate anybody. Maradona didn't just win the world cup with an average team. He also took napoli to the championships. The first time a southern italian team won the championships.

What did messi do? he played in prolly the finest team side ever, and when he played in argentina he produces nothing. Xavi and iniesta are above him atm and so is real ronaldo and zidane.

Messi is not the greatest. He is far from eclipsing maradona.
          Last edited by Xercen; 07-21-2011, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xercen View Post
            You do realise that maradona played in a very hostile era where defenders could tackle from behind and destroy your ankles. If maradona played in this era of football where a minor touch would get you sent off, he would absolutely dominate.

Team accomplishments are important and they are the reason why messi is praised to this degree. Do you really think messi would be praised to this degree if he didn't win champions league with barca..i certainly doubt it. This isn't american sports where you can talk individual players while ignoring their team skills. This is real football and teamwork maketh the man. If maradona played in this era he would destroy messi with the easy defending which would let him dribble/pass instead of defenders tackling you from behind and hacking at your ankles. Also maradona waas a tactical genius and a born leader who motivated players...messi is a born introvert who can't motivate anybody. Maradona didn't just win the world cup with an average team. He also took napoli to the championships. The first time a southern italian team won the championships.

What did messi do? he played in prolly the finest team side ever, and when he played in argentina he produces nothing. Xavi and iniesta are above him atm and so is real ronaldo and zidane.

Messi is not the greatest. He is far from eclipsing maradona.

This is precisely why Messi isn't the greatest player of all time.

I dont believe Messi has the personality, desire, leadership mentality to shine above everyone else when things aren't going well, thought he showed that against Chelsea a couple of times to
            Last edited by Dynamite Kid; 07-21-2011, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X