No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XIII may not be what you're expecting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy XIII may not be what you're expecting

There are hardly any towns, there is no leveling up, all the shopping is done at saving points, only 8 items are usable in combat, you can only upgrade weapons (not buy them in shops like you do in most rpgs). FFXIII is more akin to an action-adventure game (kinda like Metal Gear Solid) then an actual rpg. Hardcore, Old-School and and FF veteran rpg gamers will most likely be turned off by FFXIII if you expect it to have the foundations of most other rpgs.
    A review from Game Kult who does Import games.

To sum up a title as FF XIII is finally easy. It is a bad RPG, a bad Final Fantasy, but also a sympathetic mix of reflexion and contemplation. The player go through the game in straight line of completely empty beautiful environments before demolishing the end of corridor boss and the various monsters interposing. The actual gameplay of the title is about its original and catchy combat system which focused as much on reflexes as with reflexion. The compulsive interventionism of the first 20 hours may irritate, but also reassure the beginners to whom the game is aimed at with his with beautiful adeventure side. Visually very impressive but rather poor on animations, the title is a postcard of every moment, an incredible aesthetic made with success. Add a scenario which mixes the large SF with some high-school girl 'fanfic', and you obtain a little empty but well made up curiosity. To try only for the splendid combats and the second part of the game, clearly fascinating and impressive.

+ Fabulous graphics
    + catchy combat system
    + fascinating second part of the game
    + splendid cinematics

- too many corridors…
    - miss variety
    - no side activity
    - a large 20 hours tutorial is tiring

7/10

Originally posted by Ether View Post
    A review from Game Kult who does Import games.

To sum up a title as FF XIII is finally easy. It is a bad RPG, a bad Final Fantasy, but also a sympathetic mix of reflexion and contemplation. The player go through the game in straight line of completely empty beautiful environments before demolishing the end of corridor boss and the various monsters interposing. The actual gameplay of the title is about its original and catchy combat system which focused as much on reflexes as with reflexion. The compulsive interventionism of the first 20 hours may irritate, but also reassure the beginners to whom the game is aimed at with his with beautiful adeventure side. Visually very impressive but rather poor on animations, the title is a postcard of every moment, an incredible aesthetic made with success. Add a scenario which mixes the large SF with some high-school girl 'fanfic', and you obtain a little empty but well made up curiosity. To try only for the splendid combats and the second part of the game, clearly fascinating and impressive.

+ Fabulous graphics
    + catchy combat system
    + fascinating second part of the game
    + splendid cinematics

- too many corridors…
    - miss variety
    - no side activity
    - a large 20 hours tutorial is tiring

7/10
    i was never into FF TBH, but i dont think this game will disappoint....

i think SE has a decent idea what they're doing...

if nothing else, it might attract non RPG gamers as well

Comment

I agree, i'm getting this regardless. What about you?

Comment

I agree, i'm getting this regardless. What about you?
        nah...

im still rocking MW2, i'll pick up AC2 when i get bored with that.... and by then i'll have GT5

Comment

lol the new mw2 map pack that comes out in spring is 360 exclusive for awhile first.

Comment

So get GOW3/Heavy Rain/This too chump!

I know you're too scared to play BioShock 2. Even though it's more sci fi.

Comment

lol the new mw2 map pack that comes out in spring is 360 exclusive for awhile first.
              yeah i know... **** MS

So get GOW3/Heavy Rain/This too chump!

I know you're too scared to play BioShock 2. Even though it's more sci fi.
              i'll probably get GOW3

wasnt as big on Bioshock as most people were... there was SO much hype, i expected alot and it didnt deliver, at least to the hype it got... so i'll pass on Bioshock 2

Heavy Rain is something im still on the fence about... leaning towards not getting it, but we'll see.... i heard it was dated... 2/23 or similar?

Comment

Stop playing them when they stopped being turn-based.

Comment

Originally posted by -veteran420- View Post
                  yeah i know... **** MS

i'll probably get GOW3

wasnt as big on Bioshock as most people were... there was SO much hype, i expected alot and it didnt deliver, at least to the hype it got... so i'll pass on Bioshock 2

Heavy Rain is something im still on the fence about... leaning towards not getting it, but we'll see.... i heard it was dated... 2/23 or similar?
                  Yep, End of next month. I've pre-orderd it.

Comment

Why would anyone listen to that guy?

what he is describing is pretty much the same as any other recent final fantasy, of coure there are limited character paths and exploration.

If i want that stuff ill pop oblivion or fallout in!

Comment

Working...
                    X