No announcement yet.

Want to start and get serious. 18y/o

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to start and get serious. 18y/o

Ok guys I just made a long very informative thread and my computer decided to freeze up and I had to restart it and lost the whole thread before I could post it. So, I'm going to just cut right to the chase.

Info on me: 18years old, 5'6", 147lbs. I lift weights every other day usually, but my routine is focused on "functional" compound movements (flat bench, incline bench, deadlift, squat, weighted chin ups, weighted pullups, weighted dips, leg lifts, abdominal planks, weighted crunches, decline board twisting crunches,etc).

My dad, uncles, and grandfather are all ex-fighters. All of my dads friends for the most part are ex-fighters and ex-pro fighters. My dads freind who is an ex pro wants to train me. I've tried boxing before but only did it for a couple weeks because I was quickly overtrained. I wouldgo to the gym basically everyday and every heavy bag workout was high intensity and I'd also run in teh mornings. To sum it up, I know I overtrained because I started losing muscle mass, I was tired and groggy all the time, my sex drive was almost like nothing, I started gaining fat around the hip/thigh area, etc.

I also at this time was on a low carb diet so that probably contributed to the overtraining as well being that I probably had little to no liver and muscle glycogen.

I'm right handed, but honestly, standing unorthodox feels way more natural for me. I can move better and generate better punches. I'm pretty aggressive when i want to be so I guess that could be considered a good thing as well.

Basically I want to start boxing, but I dont want to end up overtraining. What advice can you give me about anything? ie the weightlifting, the overtraining, the switchstance, any other tips, too old to start?, etc etc etc.

Here's a few pics of me now. BTW I eat every 1-3 hrs and eat mainly clean foods. I take in approximately 3000 calories a day. My carb/prot/fat ratios now are approx 40/40/20.

LoL don't mind the pose and heading in the 2nd pic

well, in terms of the overtraining, just eat a balanced diet, and when you are first first starting you don't want to be training everday. Even when you get experienced there should always be one day every week where you are doing no physical exercise.

I'm going to tell you one thing that you really need to take in if you want to become a successful boxer: boxing is a skill sport. You have to learn the craft, learn proper footwork, learn how to think in the ring. I can tell you come from a bit of a bodybuilding/general fitness enthusiast background. This is fine, and it is good to know about strength training and nutrition and stuff like that, but I see a lot of people coming from a similar background who don't understand what boxing is about. So this is one piece of advice I will give you, become a student of the game and learn your craft.

Boxing is about 80% skill, 20% strength and conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16 View Post
      well, in terms of the overtraining, just eat a balanced diet, and when you are first first starting you don't want to be training everday. Even when you get experienced there should always be one day every week where you are doing no physical exercise.

I'm going to tell you one thing that you really need to take in if you want to become a successful boxer: boxing is a skill sport. You have to learn the craft, learn proper footwork, learn how to think in the ring. I can tell you come from a bit of a bodybuilding/general fitness enthusiast background. This is fine, and it is good to know about strength training and nutrition and stuff like that, but I see a lot of people coming from a similar background who don't understand what boxing is about. So this is one piece of advice I will give you, become a student of the game and learn your craft.

naw man. pick that conditoning up higher. cause without that u dont have strength and your skill goes down a whole bunch.

Comment

nah, boxing is atleast 60 % skill, 40% strength and conditioning.

Comment

1% skill 1% talent 1% dicepline 97% mental
          Last edited by KanMan; 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I DO come from a fitness background and as much as it is good to know about nutrition and whatnot, sometimes I wish I didn't know as much as I did because I find myself analyzing everything little thing I eat and it actually puts a lot of stress on you mentally.

From what I hear from most other fighters I've talked to they basically say "eat lots of carbs. I eat a lot of pasta and oatmeal..."

I'm at a crossroad where I need to decide if I want to get into boxing or if I want to get into MMA. Boxing...I'd have the coach already (dads friend) and I'm sure my family would be 10000% supportive since they were mostly all boxers.

And what you said about the overtraining...that was my mistake right there...everyday I ran about 30mins early in the day...then trained that same day...everyday for a couple weeks...while also being on a restricted calorie diet...BOOM OVERTRAINED..LATERRR

Comment

Originally posted by c10d View Post
              Thanks for the reply.

I DO come from a fitness background and as much as it is good to know about nutrition and whatnot, sometimes I wish I didn't know as much as I did because I find myself analyzing everything little thing I eat and it actually puts a lot of stress on you mentally.

From what I hear from most other fighters I've talked to they basically say "eat lots of carbs. I eat a lot of pasta and oatmeal..."

I'm at a crossroad where I need to decide if I want to get into boxing or if I want to get into MMA. Boxing...I'd have the coach already (dads friend) and I'm sure my family would be 10000% supportive since they were mostly all boxers.

And what you said about the overtraining...that was my mistake right there...everyday I ran about 30mins early in the day...then trained that same day...everyday for a couple weeks...while also being on a restricted calorie diet...BOOM OVERTRAINED..LATERRR
              I'm sorry I forgot to put my question in there. Along with training with a qualified trainer, doing cardio, etc. I'd imagine I would eat a high calorie clean diet. Similar to my "bodybuilding" diet with the exception of I'd add in a lot more complex carbohydrates such as sweet potatos, whole wheat pastas/breads, veggies, oats, "healthy" cereals such as grape nuts/kashi/etc. Is this about right?

Now I could be wrong, but my body naturally (unless on a restricted diet) keeps most of my muscle, so even while doing all this cardio for boxing, as long as I get enough rest and enough calories from quality mostly 'natural' foods, I should keep a lot of strength while still gaining speed/technique/stamina

Comment

IMO, you can ease up on the diet. I use to count calories and all that junk but that takes away too much time reading labels and stuff...

best thing to do is to eat mainly organic foods.

because if you think about it too, boxing is a skill sport and diet doesn't change your skills. you might look better if you count calories and everything, but that doesnt mean youll be a better boxer

Comment

Originally posted by c10d View Post
                  I'm sorry I forgot to put my question in there. Along with training with a qualified trainer, doing cardio, etc. I'd imagine I would eat a high calorie clean diet. Similar to my "bodybuilding" diet with the exception of I'd add in a lot more complex carbohydrates such as sweet potatos, whole wheat pastas/breads, veggies, oats, "healthy" cereals such as grape nuts/kashi/etc. Is this about right?

Now I could be wrong, but my body naturally (unless on a restricted diet) keeps most of my muscle, so even while doing all this cardio for boxing, as long as I get enough rest and enough calories from quality mostly 'natural' foods, I should keep a lot of strength while still gaining speed/technique/stamina

Internet forums are a good place to get caught up in side issues. If you want to be a boxer you should be a bit more concerned about learning to box. How many of these dirt-poor Mexicans spend their time worrying about complex carbohydrates? From what I have seen, most of them can fight like hell!

Comment

Originally posted by potatoes View Post
                    Internet forums are a good place to get caught up in side issues. If you want to be a boxer you should be a bit more concerned about learning to box. How many of these dirt-poor Mexicans spend their time worrying about complex carbohydrates? From what I have seen, most of them can fight like hell!

dude , you'll better shut the **** up

Comment

Working...
                    X