Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin vs. Jacobs: Oleksandr Usyk To Return on Undercard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm happy they're keeping Usyk active. By the looks of it he may be the co-main event because it seems like Chocolatito and Cuadras want more money than their first fight. I don't understand why Cuadras would get more money, but I guess I can see where Roman is coming from.
    I won't mind at all if Usyk takes Chocolatito's spot as GGG's co-main for the next events. It will only help Usyk it's not going to hurt. Whether people enjoy Usyk's style or not will be up to them. But being paired up with GGG is not going to hurt.
    You won't see me complaining about Usyk not getting enough money because I don't get any of Usyk's money so what is the point?
    Usyk only got paid 75k for his fight last weekend and he probably won't get much more for this event. The important thing is that he sees the bigger picture. There will be a lot of money in the future, especially once he fights at Heavyweight, right now it's just the building process. I think Usyk and Klimas know that.
    I know some people don't think he'll make it as a Heavyweight but we will see. You need to have that type of style to beat the bigger Heavyweights. You can't be a 6'3 pressure fighter and expect to beat guys like Joshua and Wilder. He may not beat them either way, we can't predict it for sure, but if a smaller fighter want any chance of beating those guys it will have to be through movement among other things. Good luck being a smaller fighter and try to pressure these giants.
    Besides Usyk has always been more comfortable fighting taller fighters.

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Dorticos is unifying with Shumenov then facing the Gassiev Lebedev rematch winner. Briedis is facing Huck for the WBC interm belt almost all the top cruisers are locked up in eliminators and the like.

No Americans knew who Huck or Glowacki were but a good fight is a good fight. The best guy out there available is probably Vlasov and he would also make for an entertaining one.
    I totally forgot Briedis had to face Huck. I was hoping Usyk would fight one of them for this card. Everybody at Cruiserweight is pretty much busy for the next few months. No wonder they were apparently discussing Cunningham and Durodola for the undercard.
    At least with Cunningham you get a former World Champion.
    I don't know. I guess we will see what they decide to do. I'm just happy they're keeping him busy.

Comment

I think Steve Cunningham makes some sense. He is no longer what he was but he is still a reasonable name for a US cruiser and a guy people would recognize as a decent fighter.

Plus I think he style plays right into Usyk who likes to box, has heavier hands, Usyk is younger and most likely more crafty. So I think he will look really good, plus Cunningham is not overly expensive but is worth what he would get paid and the dude deserves decent payday IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
        Mmmm. Yeah forgot about the Dorticos - Shumenov one and Breidis - Huck passed me by somehow. Still think that building Usyks brand would be best accomplished by getting some kind of name in there with him, however past it, but maybe I'm doing the US audience a disservice.

And yeah, I agree, Vlasov would probably be the best available fight, Everyone else (aside from USS which would be a sick joke at this point) of the slightest relevance is tied up. Makabu maybe? At least the guy can bang.
        WBC wants to hold a 4 man box off to determine their next mandatory involving Makabu, Kudryashov, Durodola, Wlodarczyk. Choosing Cunningham as an opponent would be horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Against whom? I get that they're trying to build Usyk in the US, but most of the top talent is on the other side of the Atlantic. Can't see too many US fans getting excited when they ain't even heard of the opponent - in fact might even be smartest to match him with a second tier US Heavy like Scott or Washington - hell, they could even roll Thompson out on his zimmer frame.

My preference would definitely be Dorticos or Breidis at Cruiser, but if they're aiming to build him as a star, a one off HW bout is the route to take.
          think hes going to struggle to be any sort of attraction at cruiserweight really, he could clear out that division, fight all the top guys one after the other and people still wont have heard of his opponents. As you say, if he wants to be a star hes going to have to try his luck at heavyweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
            WBC wants to hold a 4 man box off to determine their next mandatory involving Makabu, Kudryashov, Durodola, Wlodarczyk. Choosing Cunningham as an opponent would be horrid.
            As an honest 40 year old fighter, Cunningham has slowed at pulling the trigger and has reduced stamina, I'm pretty sure Usyk would stop him by the 8th round. However he's a name US fans recognize and a dominate win over him would honestly help Usyk grow his name here (a bit anyways). It'll be on a ppv undercard, so I'm not even sure if the full fight will even get replayed on regular HBO (probably just highlights).

Comment

I really hope this undercard is good. I'm not that big on Usyk but its acceptable. It still leaves something to be desired. Hopefully a meaningful MW fight with an Andy Lee on the undercard comes to fruition.

Comment

Great news!

I've already made up my mind that Golovkin/Jacobs is gonna be the first fight I try to go see live so I'm already pretty pumped. Seeing Usyk live too would be icing on the cake.

Comment

Working...
                X