No announcement yet.

Gym? Trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym? Trainer?

So I am interested in getting involved in competitive boxing and have been doing some research as to a good gym in my area. I go to school in rochester, new york and the only gym I could fine was one by the name of ROC Boxing and Fitness. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here so I am not going to, but maybe someone can google it and see what they think. I emailed the trainer there and he got back to me witht he prices and a list of the classes they give throughout the week. My concern is that the gym is more just for casual people looking to get a good work out. I am looking for something that will really train me and get me into the boxing routine. Any suggestions would be great as to what to look for in a gym and what to expect from the trainers. I

Originally posted by jrmcent View Post
    So I am interested in getting involved in competitive boxing and have been doing some research as to a good gym in my area. I go to school in rochester, new york and the only gym I could fine was one by the name of ROC Boxing and Fitness. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here so I am not going to, but maybe someone can google it and see what they think. I emailed the trainer there and he got back to me witht he prices and a list of the classes they give throughout the week. My concern is that the gym is more just for casual people looking to get a good work out. I am looking for something that will really train me and get me into the boxing routine. Any suggestions would be great as to what to look for in a gym and what to expect from the trainers. I
    Well, what kind of shape are you in? You may need to get a good work out before actually starting to train for boxing...

That's just my opinion. Anyone else?

Comment

I'm a total novice but I would echo that. I would start with the workouts. I'm older than you, 39, but I look good, lift weights, do cardio, mountain bike etc. and I was completely blown away by the boxing/fitness workouts that my trainer puts me through. Its only now that I am starting to spar a little and that's only with my trainer. In a few weeks he said I would be ready to go in with a couple of the guys from the gym.

If I were you I would do it and get a taste for the workouts and then take it from there. I sparred 3 rounds with my trainer last night and the last half of the third round I was almost unable to protect myself because of fatigue. Now this was midway through our normal workout so I had already hit the mitts for awhile, done some abs, jumped rope etc. But, it really hit home with me that it would be absolutely miserable to be in a real match and be out of gas. I never want to experince that, so at this point I am devoted to being in shape and being able to box, move, and jab for as long as I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul666 View Post
        I'm a total novice but I would echo that. I would start with the workouts. I'm older than you, 39, but I look good, lift weights, do cardio, mountain bike etc. and I was completely blown away by the boxing/fitness workouts that my trainer puts me through. Its only now that I am starting to spar a little and that's only with my trainer. In a few weeks he said I would be ready to go in with a couple of the guys from the gym.

If I were you I would do it and get a taste for the workouts and then take it from there. I sparred 3 rounds with my trainer last night and the last half of the third round I was almost unable to protect myself because of fatigue. Now this was midway through our normal workout so I had already hit the mitts for awhile, done some abs, jumped rope etc. But, it really hit home with me that it would be absolutely miserable to be in a real match and be out of gas. I never want to experince that, so at this point I am devoted to being in shape and being able to box, move, and jab for as long as I want.
        great post man. Btw no matter how good a shape ur in its not bad to be fatigued at the end, as you the better shape u get in the more punches u should throw to compensate. Ur goal should be to get in as good a shape as possible so that you can be VERY active because even if ur an amazing boxer u can be outworked by a guy with inferior fighting skills if he just keeps coming forward throwing shot after shot. Good luck in the future

Comment

Nice post Nazgul666,

I am looking to start and do exactly what you are doing.
          I am 31 but I can't find a gym in my area that will train me and maybe sparing, there only interested if you want to become a boxer.
          So I don't know what to do at the moment.

I started to do the training but I want to learn some of the skills.

DMC
          Last edited by DMC; 02-11-2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Anyone from Victoria Australia here?

DMC

Comment

Originally posted by DMC View Post
              Anyone from Victoria Australia here?

DMC

hey mate, im in melbourne, vic. where in melb are you? what do u want to know?

Comment

Working...
              X