No announcement yet.

Which of these albums are better?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illmatic>

With that said i prefer outkasts old work then their newer work. Atliens/Aquemini/southernplayalisticaddilacmuzik>

Comment

I wonder will Illmatic sell as much as Biggie and 2pac's top selling albums when Nas dies...

Comment

Illmatic by brutal brutal stoppage.

And 4 corners was wrong. Illmatic was highly anticipated and an immediate classic in hip hop circles.

Comment

Illmatic had 10 songs (40 mins) with no filler, hard to match that kind of consistency. However, my favorite album is most definitely "The Chronic".

Comment

Illmatic. young and prime nas

Comment

my favorite is 2pac, the best is illmatic

Comment

Illmatic is one of very few albums I could sit and listen to all the way through time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
                  Illmatic by brutal brutal stoppage.

And 4 corners was wrong. Illmatic was highly anticipated and an immediate classic in hip hop circles.
                  Ehhh it was seen as a great album. I remember buying it right when it came out, but it wasn't called a classic right away by tons of people. The way you determine a classic is if it stands the test of time. That's the only Nas album that has stood the test of time so far.

I put MMLP first, because it's every bit as solid as Illmatic lyrically, and more original in my eyes as far as content and sound. Both are amazing, and both emcee's I have in my Top 5.

There's something to say about an album that will sound original no matter when you play it. Whether it's right then and there, or 10 years later. No other album will sound like Marshall Mathers LP in my opinion. I think that's why Kendrick's Good Kid, Maad City is getting so much praise. It's such an original piece of work, and no one has an album like that now.

Illmatic has been Nas' curse, just like Reasonable Doubt has been Jay's, just like SSLP and MMLP have been Em's. It's hard to live up to those albums, especially since they came out when they first were coming out. I think with Em though, there's a double edged sword with him. Him being white, he was able to appeal to a wide group of people, not just urban people. So his popularity was pretty wide and it helped that he was white. At the same time, him being white, I still think there's times where he doesn't get the respect he deserves. Though most anyone would call him one of the GOAT's and definitely Top 10, Top 5 by a lot too, there's still some that don't give him the respect he deserves. He's lyrically as good as anyone we've seen, he has two for sure classics (Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP), another album that was damn near close to another classic (Eminem Show, some hip hop circles do call it a classic in it's own right), another really good/solid album (Recovery) and 2 other solid/decent albums (Encore and Relapse). And if you want that raw hip hop sound, check out Infinite. It didn't get much publicity because Em was pretty unknown at the time. But it is a very very dope album.

Yet we still have people who don't acknowledge Em's greatness. On top of having multiple classics and other good albums, he tells a story as good (if not better) than almost anyone can. And is hands down one of the most original hip hop artists of all-time.

I just think, if Em was black, he'd get THAT MUCH MORE respect than he already does, and this is coming from an African American, so I feel I can talk about that. That's just my two cents.
                  Last edited by 4Corners; 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

IMO, It's The Chronic. I don't think there are many albums by a Rap Artist that are more readily identifiable than The Chronic as well as the content on the album.

Dre could have easily retired for life off of the success of that album and in some ways he's still living off of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X