No announcement yet.

Question for the boxing purist!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Exciterx24 View Post
    I would choose Hopkins vs. Trinidad also. I think Hopkins was perceived as Trinidad's next KO victim even though Hopkins was the bigger fighter. Bernard also showed an incredible ability to make adjustments and neutralize Trinidad, who was considered the deadliest puncher in the sport back then and is, probably, one of the hardest punchers of all time.
    the line I've put in bold should ell you why alot fo people think floyds performance vs corrales was better.

alot of people in the know realized that tito was a powerful slugger with limited skills, he would logically be less effective against a bigger fighter. i picked hopkins to win that fight and he did.

with floyd though I was genuinely unsure. i thought corrales height and reach may cause problems but floys was simply masterful that night.

Comment

Originally posted by toshmurph View Post
      You'd have to go with Mayweather, Corrales was a beast at 135, was undefeated, had huge height, weight advantage. Mayweather completely dominated him, I mean shut him out!

B-Hop's win was also huge, and I know Hopkins was the underdog (Not as big a one as people seem to think) but Tito was far removed from his best weight, he never really looked too good at middleweight, his only previous fight at the weight was against William Joppy! The two times he faced quality opposition at 160 he lost (Hopkins & Winky) I'm not trying to take anything away from Hopkins, but I can't see how anybody could view it as a bigger victory than Floyd's!
      totally agree with the two points in bold

actually forgot that tito didn't have a great resume at 160 so kudos for mentioning that. green k

Comment

As good as the Corrales performance was, I also have to go with Tito/Hop. It might be hard to remember for a lot here, being over an entire decade ago, but Tito was considered a beast. Rightly so too, as he had just come off two destruction of prime, all but undefeated world champions. The only loss between Vargas and Joppy was one loss to champ Julio Cesar Green, which he avenged twice.

These were top guys, and Joppy especially got destroyed so badly it was incredible. Anyone saying that Tito was too small and just a welterweight needs to go back and remember his career. Small welterweights that don't belong at 160 don't lay waste to Vargas and the middleweight champ without much trouble. If he didn't belong at 160 and was too small, he would have lost to Joppy. Instead he just about killed him and no one else has been able to get close to doing that. It was a great win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
          They both were epic but Floyd dropping Chico 5 fuckin times was mind blowing to watch. Floyd looked like he belonged on another planet that night.
          It was impressive if you just look at the record and assume Chico came to fight. He didn't, Floyd still would have won even if he did come to fight. You have to consider the historical context. Corrales was scheduled to begin a 14 month prison sentence shortly after the fight. He had a lot on his mind, and it really showed in the fight.

He barely threw punches, he just plodded all night.

Still a great win for Floyd, but he was fighting a man whose heart wasn't in the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANKGWJ View Post
            Do you give Floyd credit for the Marquez win?
            At first, no way. I mean it was crazy how he dominated him and basically shut him out, but not really at all.

After seeing an even older Marquez just arguably beat Pacquiao, the supposed #1 WW at the same weight, Floyd does deserve some credit for that win. Marquez proved he could fight well at the weight against the #1 fighter at that weight, supposedly.

So yes, one must give Floyd a little credit for that, but it's by no means his best win. It's a very solid win though now.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              At first, no way. I mean it was crazy how he dominated him and basically shut him out, but not really at all.

After seeing an even older Marquez just arguably beat Pacquiao, the supposed #1 WW at the same weight, Floyd does deserve some credit for that win. Marquez proved he could fight well at the weight against the #1 fighter at that weight, supposedly.

So yes, one must give Floyd a little credit for that, but it's by no means his best win. It's a very solid win though now.
              Floyd didn't even make contractual weight for the fight!! But PAC did.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
                totally agree with the two points in bold

actually forgot that tito didn't have a great resume at 160 so kudos for mentioning that. green k
                How can you say that when after Tito destroyed Joppy they thought Tito was going to be the next Hagler!!

Comment

ya gotta pick floyd. bhop was bigger and much more skilled than tito. i understand bhop was the underdog and all, but alot of people thought bhop was gonna win. too much skill and too much ring iq, not to mention tito was the smaller man

Comment

Working...
                  X