Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to ask some unbiased, smart people...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to ask some unbiased, smart people...

I have seen so many people in since the fight between Marquez and Barrera saying they think Barrera not only did really well, but actually won. I saw it again from someone saying that while Marquez's resume is great, he thought Barrera won.

While he fought what I think was his last great effort and fight, I don't think there is any possible way, no matter what you are looking for, that Barrera could have won that. In fact, I think the scores were probably closer than they should have been and that it was a definite 116-112 type fight.

Forget the knock down. He had his extra point taken away for the very late punch, and is lucky he wasn't DQ'd. That's not a factor. If it is to you, just look at it like this, even were the KD counted, it only becomes an even round for the point taken off and the fact that Marquez had utterly dominated it to that point.

Anyway, I just don't get it. I've watched that fight many times, and both have been favourites for a long time, so is it just rose tinted glasses or what? Barrera didn't get close to winning the fight, no matter what style of fight you prefer. He lost the boxing match and he lost the fight.

What's the deal guys?

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
    I have seen so many people in since the fight between Marquez and Barrera saying they think Barrera not only did really well, but actually won. I saw it again from someone saying that while Marquez's resume is great, he thought Barrera won.

While he fought what I think was his last great effort and fight, I don't think there is any possible way, no matter what you are looking for, that Barrera could have won that. In fact, I think the scores were probably closer than they should have been and that it was a definite 116-112 type fight.

Forget the knock down. He had his extra point taken away for the very late punch, and is lucky he wasn't DQ'd. That's not a factor. If it is to you, just look at it like this, even were the KD counted, it only becomes an even round for the point taken off and the fact that Marquez had utterly dominated it to that point.

Anyway, I just don't get it. I've watched that fight many times, and both have been favourites for a long time, so is it just rose tinted glasses or what? Barrera didn't get close to winning the fight, no matter what style of fight you prefer. He lost the boxing match and he lost the fight.

What's the deal guys?
    m
    b
    b
    b
    m
    b

ima have a cig and watch the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

What's the deal guys?
      It probably boils down to a case where too many people were watching the fight with their "fan glasses" on. I think historically Barrera has been the more popular of the two fighters amongst fans and that shades their perception of the fight.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        It probably boils down to a case where too many people were watching the fight with their "fan glasses" on. I think historically Barrera has been the more popular of the two fighters amongst fans and that shades their perception of the fight.

Poet
        Yeah man, I agree. But what bugs me about it is that I could see it, even though, at the time, I would have been a bigger Barrera fan than Marquez, yet I still the scored the fight right. A semi-close but very clear Marquez win.

Cheers Mastrangelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          m
          b
          b
          b
          m
          b

ima have a cig and watch the rest.
          then from the 7th
          m(9-10)
          b
          9-9
          m
          m
          9-9

so draw at 113-113 with the point taken away Marquez wins, but its my opinion that his knee hadnt touched the ground.
          Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-02-2012, 08:59 AM.

Comment

I was at Barrera's first US fight, days after his 18th birthday. I've watched him workout, seen him live two other times, and seen every televised fight going all the way back. I remember the first Boxing After Dark fight, Barrera/McKinney, when the HBO team was biased against Barrera. I saw Marquez's 5th pro fight, and have followed him ever since. I have seen him workout several times. I am a fan of both, to equal degrees, though I long thought that barrera and Morales, whom I consider to be a full step behind Marquez and Barrera, ducked Marquez.
            Anyway, I thought that Marquez won. I think by two points, though I haven't seen the fight since it happened.

Comment

Those are my two favorites, so obviously, I've watched the fight a million times and every time, I see Marquez winning a very close, tightly contested fight. Don't remember my exact card from last time, but it was a 115-112, I believe.

Now here's how I score the 7th: 10-8. Marquez was on his way to a 10-8 round before the knockdown (and that's definitely a legit knockdown), so at the very best, Barrera was headed towards a 9-9 round. When you factor in the point deduction (which easily could have been a DQ, that was as flagrant a cheap shot as you'll see), it's a 9-8 round, which I sort of would have liked to see because you NEVER see a 9-8. But you have to score what the ref rules, and he ruled it no knockdown, so it's back to a 10-9 round, because the knockdown eliminates the 10-8 for Marquez. THEN with the point deduction, it's back to 10-8. One of the weirdest scoring rounds I've ever seen, but Nady's error really only cost Barrera a point, which wouldn't have made the difference on my card.

That being said, it's an incredible fight. So much tactical, extremely high level boxing going on in that one, and with such action! Definitely one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by greynotsoold View Post
                I was at Barrera's first US fight, days after his 18th birthday. I've watched him workout, seen him live two other times, and seen every televised fight going all the way back. I remember the first Boxing After Dark fight, Barrera/McKinney, when the HBO team was biased against Barrera. I saw Marquez's 5th pro fight, and have followed him ever since. I have seen him workout several times. I am a fan of both, to equal degrees, though I long thought that barrera and Morales, whom I consider to be a full step behind Marquez and Barrera, ducked Marquez.
                Anyway, I thought that Marquez won. I think by two points, though I haven't seen the fight since it happened.
                Roy was, but you'll have a lot of trouble convincing anyone that Lampley was ever biased against Barrera. And with Roy, it's understandable. McKinney was one of his boys from the Olympic team. I'm glad they got him for the fight anyway, he still did an outstanding job calling the bout.

Comment

I thought Marquez won the fight clearly. Close, but clear.

Barrera showed his greatness by putting up a fight but he lost the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post

Poet
                    "Fan glasses"

Happens alot with boxing fans.

Comment

Working...
                    X