Urgent Training advice Regarding fatigue, injury and fitness

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent Training advice Regarding fatigue, injury and fitness

Hi everyone,
    So i started boxing a couple of months back on and off while going to the gym twice a week. My workouts consisted of 2 days boxing and 2 days at the gym. I took a break over and am hoping use my training to lose some body fat. I am currently 20 77kg at 18% fat. However, im struggling to train. I picked up a shin splint injury from skipping and running and the thing which is confusing me is my upperbody is so tired when trying to lift weights. It happened all of a sudden. I could manage 3x8 16kg but today i was struggling making 8 reps with 12. I hadn'd done any training for 3 weeks due to my shin splints but today when i went back this is what i was like. My muscles generally feel tired recently and even from moving my legs my hams and glutes having been feeling tight. Any help to get past this would be much appreciated. I was thinking it may be down to nutrition as i have cut back a little in what i am eating to lose fat but i haven't cut back that much. I am still feeling full most of the day. I Just don't want to lose a lot of muscle mass.

This was my current gym routine, im not really focusing on strength training. It's mainly endurance i'm going to start working on in order to support boxing.
    1) Bench Press 3 x 12 40 kg
    2) Chin ups and Dips 3 sets of failure
    3)military press 3x12
    5) Triceps pull down Reps: 3x10
    6) Shoulder Press (used to be 16kg) Reps 12 (8kg), 12 (8kg), 10(10kg), 10 (10kg)
    Medicine ball throws – 3x6 each arm
    Side swing cable machine 7.9kg 4x8
    Barbell explosive push up (one arm) – 3x6
    Medicine ball slam downs

Saturday - Lower body day
    1) Squats ( Reps, 15 barbell warm ups, 10 (30kg), 10 (30kg) 8(32kg), 8(32kg), 6(35kg)
    2) Deadlift Reps: 5x5 (50kg)
    3) Lat pull down (Reps: 2x10(39kg), 1×10 (46kg) 10(46kg)
    4) Seated Calf raises 3x10 (16kg)
    5) Db row - 3x10 (16kg) t
    6) Dumbbell Squat Jump (Max power lift off) – 3x6
    7)Sledge push and drag 3 sets of 30 seconds. i.e. one sprint each way. 20 kg
    8) Overlead weight Walking Lunges

Originally posted by hrahman7860 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    So i started boxing a couple of months back on and off while going to the gym twice a week. My workouts consisted of 2 days boxing and 2 days at the gym. I took a break over and am hoping use my training to lose some body fat. I am currently 20 77kg at 18% fat. However, im struggling to train. I picked up a shin splint injury from skipping and running and the thing which is confusing me is my upperbody is so tired when trying to lift weights. It happened all of a sudden. I could manage 3x8 16kg but today i was struggling making 8 reps with 12. I hadn'd done any training for 3 weeks due to my shin splints but today when i went back this is what i was like. My muscles generally feel tired recently and even from moving my legs my hams and glutes having been feeling tight. Any help to get past this would be much appreciated. I was thinking it may be down to nutrition as i have cut back a little in what i am eating to lose fat but i haven't cut back that much. I am still feeling full most of the day. I Just don't want to lose a lot of muscle mass.

This was my current gym routine, im not really focusing on strength training. It's mainly endurance i'm going to start working on in order to support boxing.
    1) Bench Press 3 x 12 40 kg
    2) Chin ups and Dips 3 sets of failure
    3)military press 3x12
    5) Triceps pull down Reps: 3x10
    6) Shoulder Press (used to be 16kg) Reps 12 (8kg), 12 (8kg), 10(10kg), 10 (10kg)
    Medicine ball throws – 3x6 each arm
    Side swing cable machine 7.9kg 4x8
    Barbell explosive push up (one arm) – 3x6
    Medicine ball slam downs

Saturday - Lower body day
    1) Squats ( Reps, 15 barbell warm ups, 10 (30kg), 10 (30kg) 8(32kg), 8(32kg), 6(35kg)
    2) Deadlift Reps: 5x5 (50kg)
    3) Lat pull down (Reps: 2x10(39kg), 1×10 (46kg) 10(46kg)
    4) Seated Calf raises 3x10 (16kg)
    5) Db row - 3x10 (16kg) t
    6) Dumbbell Squat Jump (Max power lift off) – 3x6
    7)Sledge push and drag 3 sets of 30 seconds. i.e. one sprint each way. 20 kg
    8) Overlead weight Walking Lunges
    Just sleep

Comment

hmm mighy try that, hadn't thought of that one

Comment

I always recommend keep a workout diary, so that you have a reference point for performance BUT you have to learn to listen to your body too. Push yourself but don't kill yourself doing it

Comment

What does your diet look like?
          What is you protein intake like?
          How many hours a day do you sleep?
          What type of prehab (mobility/stretching) work do you do regularly?

Comment

4 days per week sounds a pretty sensible and a decent routine! leaving 3 days for recovery! So this suggest that maybe you are not eating enough food? also remember that fatigue can often be due to a mineral deficiencies! Protein, fats and carbohydrates are very easy to come by in any western diet but minerals? not so much. Magnesium deficiencies causes fatigue, calcium deficiencies also cause fatigued and muscle weakness because? It is the mineral calcium's which helps your muscles contract! (In simple terms).....and then magnesium helps your muscles relax, also its combats stress!

Even though you are only training 4 days per week, its quite high intensity! so i would suggest you buy a muti-mineral supplement! never take isolated minerals

Here is a video, explaining the importance of minerals (Myself personally i eat oats in the morning, in comparison to nonsensical cereals they are packed with minerals!)...

Comment

Dbl post.......
              Last edited by AddiX; 02-09-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Cut out all that weight lifting, do you want to learn to box or get bigger? Pick one...

Your doing a fcking lifting program designed by bodybuilders who were on steroids, while at the same time trying to learn boxing and get better. you can't do both, and if you were just trying to gain size that lifting program isn't meant for you anyway, I did thst **** for years, it only works for steroids users, beginners, and people with god tier genetics.

Of course your fatigued, your CNS is completely overworked. your muscles aren't healing, your CNS is completely fcked. I bet your having all sorts of other physical problems too, including getting sick easily and depression, digestion problems, possibly having problems even getting your dick hard.

Those injuries are your body's way of saying, stop I need rest.

Cut out the lifting if you wajt to box, it's that simple. And if your going to lift to be better at boxing, definitely don't do a split.
                Last edited by AddiX; 02-09-2017, 01:53 AM.

Comment

ignore Anthony Joshua and his God like physique/genetics

Boxers dont really like to carry bulk. Boxing is one of the hardest aerobic exercise the body will do, you need oxygen to fuel your muscles, the bigger the muscles the more oxygen they take from your blood, meaning fatigue.

lifting has its place definitely but your plan is leaning on the side of body builder.

Im no pro, but i work on suspension training, which helps build core strength on top of the muscle groups your working. Dead lifts (to build explosive power in the legs) and polymetric push ups etc (builds explosive power out the arms and shoulders)

i think your training should be geared 80/20 boxing to weights at this stage maybe even 90/10 but see if anyone else has more tangible answers (this is what works for me)

Comment

not being harsh but you really need to work on pure strength judging by them numbers, cause a lot of the girls even at the commercial gym i go to are squatting and deadlifting significantly more than that. Unless you are lifting delibarately light but if so, whats the point? I'd just do stronglifts 5x5 program or something alongside your boxing training just to build a base level of strength. Doing compound power movements will only help, not hinder, your boxing despite what the old school dinosaurs on here will say

Comment

Working...
                    X