No announcement yet.

best weight exercises for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best weight exercises for boxing

im currently coming off ankle surgery and way out of shape i just got back into the gym to lift weights and do some cardio i still can box though does anyone have good exercises for boxing as far as weights are concerned i try to stay away from heavy weights unless its deadlifts or squats i try to do one or the other of these every other day because its a good full body lift and also ive been doing standing shoulder press but nothing besides those 3 as far as weights really

I love doing power cleans.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
      I love doing power cleans.
      yea i really want to do those but because of the motion bringing the bar up to my shoulder where you kinda come up on your toes i cant do that yet coming off of my ankle surgery

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
        im currently coming off ankle surgery and way out of shape i just got back into the gym to lift weights and do some cardio i still can box though does anyone have good exercises for boxing as far as weights are concerned i try to stay away from heavy weights unless its deadlifts or squats i try to do one or the other of these every other day because its a good full body lift and also ive been doing standing shoulder press but nothing besides those 3 as far as weights really
        You should do lifts that involve 3 or more muscle groups. Simple criteria if you can't do 15 or more reps, the weight is to heavy. Also no 1-2 minute breaks in between sets. Do something. Don't be to macho to do lifts for 3 minutes or more.

It's pointless to name exercises... remember the term "Specificity of Training" Do exercises that relate to boxing movements.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryRobinson View Post
          You should do lifts that involve 3 or more muscle groups. Simple criteria if you can't do 15 or more reps, the weight is to heavy. Also no 1-2 minute breaks in between sets. Do something. Don't be to macho to do lifts for 3 minutes or more.

It's pointless to name exercises... remember the term "Specificity of Training" Do exercises that relate to boxing movements.
          Thanks. So on squats and deadlifts I should still do 15 reps or more I've always heard to do less reps on squats and deadlifts I usually do about 10. And I rarely take breaks I try to keep going to keep my heart rate up. Most exercises I do anywhere from 20 -50 reps (push ups, lateral shoulder raises, dips, and ab work) except squats deadlifts and shoulder press all those are around 10 so I may have to lower the weight and up the reps on those.

Comment

I should probably add as far as non weight training that I've been doing about an hour to an hour and a half of cardio a day from riding on the stationary bike, elliptical machine, or the rowing machine. I mostly use the bike and the rowing machine because i get the best work out I feel on the rowing machine and the bike helps condition my legs as well as rehab the since I can't yet run. I do minimum workouts on the elliptical to ease back into the running motion but its still painful to do that. I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the cardio part of my workout or not at this point by going as long as an hour and a half

Comment

If you're looking to get better at boxing instead of just lifting for strength, try plyometrics exercises. They're designed to build fast, explosive strength. So in the usual slow up, slow down, you do for weights, plyometrics will be fast up, slow down, or something to that degree.

That will help get your muscles used to going from a dead stop, to everything you can give them.

Comment

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
                I should probably add as far as non weight training that I've been doing about an hour to an hour and a half of cardio a day from riding on the stationary bike, elliptical machine, or the rowing machine. I mostly use the bike and the rowing machine because i get the best work out I feel on the rowing machine and the bike helps condition my legs as well as rehab the since I can't yet run. I do minimum workouts on the elliptical to ease back into the running motion but its still painful to do that. I'm not sure if I'm overdoing the cardio part of my workout or not at this point by going as long as an hour and a half
                basically would you prefer to be strong 6-8-10 times or 15-25-50-3minutes. Specificity of training. If you go on my website or my youtube pg there are examples. just search conditioning.

Comment

Nice dental care is well-deserved by all of us, but it costs a lot of money in US,
                  It increases your self-confidence and people get attracted towards your pearly smile....

Comment

Lifting,jumping rope,running and jogging all are best exercises for body weight. I also like to do these exercises. I like this topic and thanks everyone for sharing your ideas.

Comment

Working...
                    X