Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack Dempsey drop "step" applied when stationary?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Dempsey drop "step" applied when stationary?

Ok I can do a drop step (or at least I believe I can) when I step in with a punch be it a jab cross etc (thanks grey not so old)

But if I throw a cross etc while staying still im not sure how to apply the jack dempsey drop.

Do I drop all my weight onto the front foot for a cross? Or do I drop my weight down onto both feet evenly? Also do I strike as I am falling down, as I land or just after I land?

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
    Ok I can do a drop step (or at least I believe I can) when I step in with a punch be it a jab cross etc (thanks grey not so old)

But if I throw a cross etc while staying still im not sure how to apply the jack dempsey drop.

Do I drop all my weight onto the front foot for a cross? Or do I drop my weight down onto both feet evenly? Also do I strike as I am falling down, as I land or just after I land?
    If you read his book, he says many times: punch with a step when applicable for more power.

From what I understood, you are southpaw. When you say "I throw cross", you mean 1) you lead with the left hand or 2) you counter with the left hand? Lets be clear on definitions of what YOU call cross.

If you do 1-2, I guess, you better be on the rear leg(left for you), before you throw the powr punch. If you lead with the punch with drop step technique of the Jack Dempsey and want more power- stay on your front leg.

Hope it help.

Comment

Originally posted by NVSemin View Post
      If you read his book, he says many times: punch with a step when applicable for more power.

From what I understood, you are southpaw. When you say "I throw cross", you mean 1) you lead with the left hand or 2) you counter with the left hand? Lets be clear on definitions of what YOU call cross.

If you do 1-2, I guess, you better be on the rear leg(left for you), before you throw the powr punch. If you lead with the punch with drop step technique of the Jack Dempsey and want more power- stay on your front leg.

Hope it help.
      I mean I throw a straight left punch with my rear hand as a counter so stationary no drop step fowards or no step just a drop by itself. (Basically like sitting down on your punch just instead of sitting you are dropping down fast)

So while he said if possible take a drop step fowards even if its a tiny amount, I want to know how to do it completely stationary. The "drop" still adds power even thought its not as much as with the "drop step".

Sorry to be confusing!
      Last edited by AlexKid; 04-17-2013, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X