Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Cotto have the right game plan for Trout? Consecutive Hooks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pedro Diaz sucks basically, complete wrong gameplan for trout they made the fight easy for trout.
    Last edited by ElBossHogg™; 01-06-2013, 10:20 PM.

Comment

He was missing by a mile on some of the shots you described. IDK if he's ever been that inaccurate and I really can't even remember a significant blow landed by him in the fight. I chalk that up to Trout's own ability because Cotto looked alright to me, I don't think he's that far gone.

He put himself into good positions with his footwork but Trout's body is really hard to hit at distance and even in close because of the angles he was taking. I still have questions about Trout's resistance to the body because he's kinda skinny, but maybe it never comes to that. for cotto, without being able to land to the body early it was pretty much over

I thought he tried some different approaches, but nothing worked. I guess he did a little better when he had Trout coming to him but he was only doing that because he was tired and had to move...i don't know if that was necessarily a decision they made midfight, he does it all the time when gassed.

Comment

The size and speed of Trout was a bad choice , in hindsight I dont think Cotto with any game plan can over come the advantages Trout has over him .

Comment

I think that Cotto was perfectly capable of throwing a straight right hand to the body or chest and trying to land with his left hook to the head. They were trying to land consecutive hooks. Obviously Cotto is not Ward, they have different names. I do think Cotto a veteran fighter is capable of throwing a straight right hand instead of a right hook...It takes to long to get there.

Comment

I thought Cotto had a sound gameplan through the first 6 rounds. In the past Trout had faded late and I think that Cottos team was looking to exploit that. Trout did a good job handling his conditioning down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Wait, what?? So the shorter fighter (Cotto) should have tried to fight off the backfoot?? Listen bro, shorter fighters need to get inside the longer fighters reach.Bob & weave his way in & work the body & head, tie up & repeat.

Not necessarily.A fighter with good movement and timing can fight in such a manner and have success. Arash Usmanee was a good three or four inches shorter than Rances Barthelemy and had some difficult early on with his reach,but he adjusted,took a step back and had success timing Barthelemy coming in.

Comment

Cotto had successes when trout was coming in.. when cotto was the one coming he barely touch trout due to the awkward angles. I think its best if he counter punched trout instead and throw flurries of combinations when trout is coming in.

Floyd had trouble hitting cotto too when cotto was jumping outside.. I think its really tough to look good against trout if u ain't that athletic.

Comment

Cotto has always done better when he's being followed. It was evident in the fight with Floyd also. I agree that he should have fought in reverse as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310
                    nah, he did his best. There's literally no way he could've won outside of a lucky shot.

He's a gatekeeper for REAL champs and elite fighters. He did his job.
                    Nothing wrong with that
                    now Cotto is a gatekeeper... you sound stupid.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas
                      He was missing by a mile on some of the shots you described. IDK if he's ever been that inaccurate and I really can't even remember a significant blow landed by him in the fight. I chalk that up to Trout's own ability because Cotto looked alright to me, I don't think he's that far gone.

He put himself into good positions with his footwork but Trout's body is really hard to hit at distance and even in close because of the angles he was taking. I still have questions about Trout's resistance to the body because he's kinda skinny, but maybe it never comes to that. for cotto, without being able to land to the body early it was pretty much over

I thought he tried some different approaches, but nothing worked. I guess he did a little better when he had Trout coming to him but he was only doing that because he was tired and had to move...i don't know if that was necessarily a decision they made midfight, he does it all the time when gassed.
                      Cotto landed some viscious left hooks in that fight (which was a close fight).... I question whether you even saw this fight. Cotto fought in a very similar style to that he used against quintana... with more movement... while he had some success ... his handspeed isnt the same as it once was... he lost a couple miles on the fastball...

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X