Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Andy Ruiz Stops Joshua Mania, Taylor, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldTerry View Post
    You know in thinking about Joshua's stamina and his very muscular physique I was reminded about an observation made by the great Gil Clancy. Gil Clancy didn't believe in body building for boxers for various reasons. He talked about how fighters with big muscles tired more easily, something to with big muscles requiring a lot of energy and causing fighters to tire out more easily. Makes sense to me.
    Is that the guy who did ballet & was an amateur boxer & said that Muhammad Ali & Sugar Ray Robinson had the ideal physiques for boxing because they were built like male ballet dancers?

Just want to know because I've been trying to find that quote for years.

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
    Lewis and Klitchko came back after murderous losses. Joshua can too. It's all about the proper training specifically for Ruiz. I don't think he had that at all going into this most recent fight. Like The Man here says, Joshua's second wind is very slow coming into play... so IMO obviously his people have to get a better conditioning coach into his camp for the rematch. And obviously some very finely tuned specific prep to fight Ruiz again. I've seen a few weaknesses of Ruiz. They're obvious to anyone who has watched fighter tendencies often enough. This is a rematch Joshua can win. And yes, he must win this fight. I think he can get the W. And obviously, this will be the most important fight of both fighter's careers.

Yes, exactly. Bodybuilders in football is a good idea... but a terrible one for boxing.
    Both of Lennox Lewis' losses were fluke-ish because a guy got a good shot in and just got him.

AJ was DOMINATED for 7 rounds mostly by Ruiz.

Klitschko wasn't dominated by anybody either, except Fury and that's when he was like 40 years old.

A prime elite fighter should not be getting dominated like this, except if he's ill or on drugs (not the performance enhancing kind).

And there's not too many bodybuilders in football either.

You'll see more guys built like Andy Ruiz in the NFL than Anthony Joshua.

Comment

Doubtful. ...I'm very well conditioned. & I know good & damn well he couldn't run a faster 40,60,100, or mile than me. Nor could he do a faster shuttle run....Or climb a 60 ft wall...Or any obstacle course on earth....OR pedal a ****ing bike faster or longer than me. I guarantee you if AJ assaulted that tubby midsection his ass would wear down. Not a doubt in my mind. I know he can fight. & I give it to him. I don't take that away. But there are just certain things as an athlete that you just pick up on as weaknesses right away. I'd target AJ's cardio as well. He's got to get oxygen to all those big ass muscles...No way a fatboi is going to outlast me.

Comment

Agreed. That's why I was so annoyed when I watched it. I couldn't believe a giant 250 lb man let that guy push him back like that. His job wasn't to outbox & maneuver fat man. It was to overwhelm him....in every way physically imaginable. Instead it went the other way. & Take nothing from Ruiz. He can fight. But Joshua should've blown him the fu*k out.

Comment

If you've ever been in the ring & taking a shot to the body...jab...hook...str...wutever. Any shot. Then you'd know how debilitating it can be. There's no way taking shots to the gut & sides from a giant 250 lb man doesn't drain the life out of a man. Especially one w/ a huge body target like Ruiz....That would take all that waist bending & dipping away from his big ass right away.

Comment

Yes....It does dogg. Conditioning is everything in sports. Especially when ur dealing w/ two pros...It's as much of a skill as anything else. The mind can't operate when the body is screaming at it for oxygen & acid is building up everywhere..

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
              Is that the guy who did ballet & was an amateur boxer & said that Muhammad Ali & Sugar Ray Robinson had the ideal physiques for boxing because they were built like male ballet dancers?

Just want to know because I've been trying to find that quote for years.

Here is what I found on Gil Clancy - Gil Clancy graduated from school teacher to boxing professor.

His work as a teacher led him to a PAL boxing gym in Queens, New York, where he began training young fighters. Eventually, he began working with professionals and rose to prominence as one of the great boxing trainers and managers.

Clancy's first pupil to find success in the pro ranks was Ralph (Tiger) Jones, a top middleweight contender who defeated the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Kid Gavilan and Joey Giardello.

Clancy's first world champion was Hall of Famer Emile Griffith, whom Clancy and Howie Albert guided to the welterweight and middleweight crowns. Clancy was a fixture in Griffith's corner for his entire 20-year career. Among the other champions Clancy tutored are Rodrigo Valdes and Juan LaPorte.

Clancy has worked with countless other fighters -- including top contenders such as Johnny Persol, Jorge Ahumada, Harold Weston and Tom Bethea. At different times he also worked with Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Ken Buchanan, Jerry Quarry and Gerry Cooney. In the '90s, he came out of retirement to work with Oscar De La Hoya.

In 1978, Clancy became the matchmaker for Madison Square Garden Boxing. He held that position for three years and then turned to broadcasting. He emerged as one of the premiere boxing analysts on television in the '80s and '90s. He worked for CBS, HBO and the MSG Network. In 1983, the Boxing Writers Association of America presented him with the Sam Taub award for Excellence in Broadcasting Journalism.

In 1967 and 1973, the Boxing Writers Association of America named Clancy the "Manager of the Year."

Comment

Quote:
                Originally Posted by PunchyPotorff
                Lewis and Klitchko came back after murderous losses. Joshua can too. It's all about the proper training specifically for Ruiz. I don't think he had that at all going into this most recent fight. Like The Man here says, Joshua's second wind is very slow coming into play... so IMO obviously his people have to get a better conditioning coach into his camp for the rematch. And obviously some very finely tuned specific prep to fight Ruiz again. I've seen a few weaknesses of Ruiz. They're obvious to anyone who has watched fighter tendencies often enough. This is a rematch Joshua can win. And yes, he must win this fight. I think he can get the W. And obviously, this will be the most important fight of both fighter's careers.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by OldTerry
                You know in thinking about Joshua's stamina and his very muscular physique I was reminded about an observation made by the great Gil Clancy. Gil Clancy didn't believe in body building for boxers for various reasons. He talked about how fighters with big muscles tired more easily, something to with big muscles requiring a lot of energy and causing fighters to tire out more easily. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
                Yes, exactly. Bodybuilders in football is a good idea... but a terrible one for boxing.

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
                Both of Lennox Lewis' losses were fluke-ish because a guy got a good shot in and just got him.

SAME WITH JOSHUA. RUIZ LANDED THE PICTURE PERFECT PUNCH AND JOSHUA WAS SCRAMBLED AFTER THAT.

AJ was DOMINATED for 7 rounds mostly by Ruiz.

Klitschko wasn't dominated by anybody either, except Fury and that's when he was like 40 years old.

I SEE YOU FORGOT ABOUT COREY SANDERS

A prime elite fighter should not be getting dominated like this, except if he's ill or on drugs (not the performance enhancing kind).

AGAIN, RUIZ LANDED THE PICTURE PERFECT PUNCH AND JOSHUA WAS SCRAMBLED AFTER THAT.

And there's not too many bodybuilders in football either.
                You'll see more guys built like Andy Ruiz in the NFL than Anthony Joshua.
                THAT'S TOTAL B.S. VERY FEW RUIZ BODY STYLE IN NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                  Quote:

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by OldTerry

Quote:

THAT'S TOTAL B.S. VERY FEW RUIZ BODY STYLE IN NFL.
                  Dude, there's a ton of fat offensive linemen in the NFL

Comment

Working...
                  X