No announcement yet.

finally sparred on sunday...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally sparred on sunday...

i went 4 rounds... and as for those who know me, its been a long road...

i did 3 rounds with this guy about 20-30 pounds heavier then me... he dominated most the action blocking almost all my straight shots and hitting me with combinations throughout the rounds... the only shots i remember landing were a few jabs, one left hook to the body... and a nice hard right hand down the middle to the belly... also got him with a quick left hook off a jab...

he messed me up pretty good though as i would bob n weave side to side instead of tryin to block... i would lay leaning on one side until i felt like i should roll to the other, but this form of defense didnt serve me well as i took a lot of shots i couldnt see coming... the hardest one was a sharp left hook he landed right in between my eyes on the bridge of the nose... right after he landed that shot was when i came on and landed the hard right to the body set up by a jab... so i stood my ground overall but got beat up...

the other guy i sparred is a successful amatuer of over 40 fights... he only went one round with me, and basiclly let me do whatever i wanted . he didnt throw much... i landed a bunch of jabs on him.. again with a left hook to the body but he caught me with a jab at the same time so i fell off balance looking sloppy... i was tryin to throw some uppercuts in this round but wasnt landing / timing was off... he backed me up landed some straights as the round ended...

i learned right off the bat i gotta work a lot more on my defense, and since sunday ive had the most intense workouts of my life, went back to the drawing board. lol..

i also realized i threw like NO hooks, which was a big mistake, especially against the first guy, because he wanted to bang and my left hook would have landed a lot more then my attempted right hand.. based on his blocking ability of the straights...

i didnt really take too many hard shots, barely any to the body.. so i felt fine after.. i plan to spar again wensday night, possibly against one or both of the same guys again, maybe different...

either way, i was lookin for some feedback / advice of what to work on

work on stepping in with a short left hook to the head, and follow it up with a hard, straight right, its a simple enough combo, and devastating when thrown well ,set it up with a soft, quick jab to find your range, step and pivot sharply with the left hook and then drive home a straight right, it should work well if you say this guy cant defend well against hooks or wateva or alternately you can throw the right hand to the body after the left hook..........

Comment

very good feedback.. ill try that exact combo next time i spar him

Comment

If it was your first time sparring I wouldn't try to throw hard hooks. Work your defense, work on circling away from his punches. Work your jab, work your straight. If I sparred a new guy and he was trying to throw heavy hooks on me I'd lay him out... hard hooks have their place, but not when you are brand new going against someone trying to teach you something.

Comment

Just keep it up mate. It'll get easier the more you do it and realise you will never be satisfied with what you do, ever.

Comment

yeah thats true i neva fell satisfied unless i do it completely perfect .....and no ones perfect lol

Comment

oh and how did u go sparring on wednesday? did u try the combo out?

Comment

thanks for all the feedback peeps..
                count ur absolutely right, as long as im a rookie in there i aint gunna be throwin bombs on nobody lol... or ill get ****ed right upp.. but near the ends of the rounds, ill turn it on if i want to, u gotta go into the deep end sooner or later...

but ya i havent sparred since.. itll be a week tomorrow.. i wanted to go a few of the days last week after sunday.. but i trained so intensely all week i was always sore.. and my gym has sparring in a seperate gym at certain times.. two hours a day.. so it didnt happen last week..

i been training like an animal, 100% ready, on monday night ill be sparring for the 2nd time and i feel like this time ill actually do well.. im in the best shape of my life...

ill drop an update tuesday sometime

Comment

Working...
                X