No announcement yet.

How much of a chance does Bob Foster have in stopping a prime Dwight Qawi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a chance does Bob Foster have in stopping a prime Dwight Qawi

Bob Foster is widely regarded as one of the most murderous LHW punchers of all-time. That being said I'll ask two questions: one, would he beat Dwight Qawi, and two: if you say yes, how much of a chance would he have in stopping Qawi?

He has a fairly good chance. I rate Dick Tiger as one of the toughest men to ever fight, yet Foster got rid of him with just one good left hook.

Comment

It would be a good brawl and Foster has a god chance of stopping Qawi. Bob is a tremendous puncher and really did damage every time he hit. After his fights the damage on one of his opponents was always noticeable. That said, Dwight can take tremendous punishment himself and this could turn out to be an entertaining scrap.

Comment

Dwight went 15 with the great Evander Holyfield @ CW after he was already slightly past his prime. He was never KOed at 175 period, and Foster couldn't beat anyone worth a damn past 175. So I'd say, very little chance. In fact, I would pick Qawi to win the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
          Dwight went 15 with the great Evander Holyfield @ CW after he was already slightly past his prime. He was never KOed at 175 period, and Foster couldn't beat anyone worth a damn past 175. So I'd say, very little chance. In fact, I would pick Qawi to win the fight.
          Holyfield was inexperienced though and never really that great of a puncher. Evander got Qawi out of there in 4 rounds during the rematch although Qawi was obviously a diminished fighter at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
            Holyfield was inexperienced though and never really that great of a puncher. Evander got Qawi out of there in 4 rounds during the rematch although Qawi was obviously a diminished fighter at that point.
            Inexperienced? He should have been an Olympic Gold Medalist. Holyfield was damn good at the time, physically he was p4p at his peak. Also if you ask Tyson about how hard Holyfield hits, he may have a few objections.

The rematch shouldn't even be brought up. Qawi was over the hill.

Comment

Inexperienced? He should have been an Olympic Gold Medalist. Holyfield was damn good at the time, physically he was p4p at his peak. Also if you ask Tyson about how hard Holyfield hits, he may have a few objections.

The rematch shouldn't even be brought up. Qawi was over the hill.
              It was Holyfield's 12th fight. He had only gone past 6 rounds once in his career at that point, defeating Tyrone Booze in 8 rounds by a decision.

Few thought he would be able to win a decision over a much more experienced Qawi in a 15 rounder but he did, winning a close split decision.

I'm not sure if Tyson feels that Holyfield hits hard. In his recent documentary he said that he was practically out on his feet due to Holyfield's headbutting but didn't feel any of the punches. It's not like Holyfield KO'd Tyson with one punch, he had to throw everything but the kitchen sink at him to score a TKO win.
              Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM.

Comment

It was Holyfield's 12th fight. He had only gone past 6 rounds once in his career at that point, defeating Tyrone Booze in 8 rounds by a decision.

Few thought he would be able to win a decision over a much more experienced Qawi in a 15 rounder but he did, winning a close split decision.

I'm not sure if Tyson feels that Holyfield hits hard. In his recent documentary he said that he was practically out on his feet due to Holyfield's headbutting but didn't feel any of the punches. It's not like Holyfield KO'd Tyson with one punch, he had to throw everything but the kitchen sink at him to score a TKO win.
                Holyfield scored 6 straight KOs before the first Qawi fight and got 13 straight stoppages immediately afterward. His ability to stop a guy was very real, not with 1 punch usually but a whole lot of them. And he always had a whole lot to throw at the guy.

I obviously know Holyfield's pro career was short at the time, but calling him inexperienced is wrong. His amateur pedigree is more experience than someone like Manny Pacquiao got until he became a featherweight.

Comment

Holyfield scored 6 straight KOs before the first Qawi fight and got 13 straight stoppages immediately afterward. His ability to stop a guy was very real, not with 1 punch usually but a whole lot of them. And he always had a whole lot to throw at the guy.

I obviously know Holyfield's pro career was short at the time, but calling him inexperienced is wrong. His amateur pedigree is more experience than someone like Manny Pacquiao got until he became a featherweight.
                  Amateur experience usually doesn't help in 15 round fights. Holyfield however was something else and proved this against Qawi. He later said that he lost a lot of weight during the fight, so much that he was pretty much a light heavyweight by the end of it, it was such a grueling battle.

Holyfield had the ability to batter opponents into submission but Foster was a one punch KO artist at LHW.

The KO over Dick Tiger shows what he could do against a short pressure fighter. Doesn't mean that Foster would necessarily KO Qawi but he certainly has the ability.

Comment

Amateur experience usually doesn't help in 15 round fights. Holyfield however was something else and proved this against Qawi. He later said that he lost a lot of weight during the fight, so much that he was pretty much a light heavyweight by the end of it, it was such a grueling battle.

Holyfield had the ability to batter opponents into submission but Foster was a one punch KO artist at LHW.

The KO over Dick Tiger shows what he could do against a short pressure fighter. Doesn't mean that Foster would necessarily KO Qawi but he certainly has the ability.
                    1) Dick Tiger was over the hill

2) Qawi is a much bigger guy. Weight plays, and it plays a lot. Foster's KO power didn't really show up against good large fighters.

Comment

Working...
                    X