greatest light weight!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatest light weight!

who was the greatest light weight ever?

Easy question! Roberto Duran!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Benny Leonard #1

Comment

i gotta say duran on this one

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi
          Benny Leonard #1
          What is your justification? Did you ever see him fight, is there even any film of this guy?

Comment

of couse there is film on Benny, I have him number 2, right behind Joe Gans.

Benny has film fights of Jimmy McClarnin, and Lew Tendler.

And Lenord ALso have beating like 8 or so HOFer's or near Hofer's.

Comment

Originally posted by machotime
              What is your justification? Did you ever see him fight, is there even any film of this guy?
              Yeah, there is some film of Benny Leonard...not much, but there's some footage from his fights with Lew Tendler in his prime (as well vs. McLarnin when Benny was well past it), and he looks excellant with the tremendous footwork that he shows, as well as other outside skills (great& fast jab, straight rights, and combos).

My justification?

Amongst other things (like dominating a deeper division, etc), Ray Arcel's opinion must hold some weight...You know that guy who was a longtime trainer for Duran, don't you? Yeah, I'm sure you do...Anyways, he called Benny Leonard not only the greatest Lightweight of all-time, but also said this in 1991, "People ask me who's the greatest fighter I ever saw. I hesitate to say, either Benny Leonard or Ray Robinson."

Now why should I disagree with Duran's own trainer from his Lightweight reign?

Comment

Roberto Duran

Comment

Originally posted by Dempsey1238
                  of couse there is film on Benny, I have him number 2, right behind Joe Gans.
                  You sound like you have a list already made up, Greek...Care to share it?

Mine would look something like this, I think;

1. Benny leonard
                  2. Joe Gans
                  3. Roberto Duran
                  4. Henry Armstrong
                  5. Ike Williams
                  6. Tony Canzoneri
                  7. Carlos Ortiz
                  8. Pernell Whitaker
                  9. Jack Blackburn
                  10. Barney Ross

Something like that, with consideration also given to the likes of Joe Brown, Lou Ambers, Freddie Welsh, and Jack McAuliffe. If considering 130 pound accomplishments, Arguello would have a spot somewhere around the 8th spot for me, as well.

Rough & quick list, although my top seven are just about the way I'd always see it...Unless I learn something new, that is.

Comment

why not

1 Joe Gans(I have 2 fights with him, I pretty amazing with him)
                    2 Benny Learod.
                    3 Roberto Duran
                    4 Ike Williams
                    5 Joe Brown
                    6 Barney Ross
                    7 Tony Canzoneri
                    8 Battling Nelson
                    9 Jack McAuliffe
                    10 Henry Armstrong Top ten of couse, but he did not relly do that much in the lightweights imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X