No announcement yet.

James "Broadaxe" Broad & Jeff Sims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James "Broadaxe" Broad & Jeff Sims

Does anybody know how these two guys from the 1980's died? I heard from a buddy that Sims was shot and killed, but that's "the rumor" he heard, not confirmed.
    I was shocked when I found out that Broad had died at age 43 in 2001. I don't ever remember reading anything about his passing.
    Thanks for any help here.

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
    I was shocked when I found out that Broad had died at age 43 in 2001. I don't ever remember reading anything about his passing.
    Here's a short writeup I have of Broad after his death from an old issue of Boxing Digest, Terry, although it doesn't give the exact cause of death. The top paragraph does paint the picture that Broad wasn't in the best of circumstances though, when he did die;

"JAMES BROAD REMEMBERED (1958-2001)

Former heavyweight boxer James Broad died at the age of 43 on November 20th, 2001. Unfortunately he was homeless, living his last days in a bus shelter near Las Vegas. Before he died he was rumored to be suffering from brain damage and alcohol addiction. A sad ending, he deserved better.

James was from Greensboro, North Carolina and was nicknamed 'Broad Axe' because of his tremendous punching power. After a successful amateur career he entered the professional ranks.

His first bout was on August 11, 1981, in Atlantic City, New Jersey. He stopped Al Collins in the first round by knockout. His last bout was a ten round decision loss to Calvin Jones on August 20th, 1993, in Melrose Park, Illinois. His overall record was 23 wins, 10 losses, with 15 knockouts. An above average fighter, he fought numerous ranked fighters and had many televised bouts. Some of the well known fighters he fought against were Tim Witherspoon, Razor Ruddock, Tony Tucker, Greg Page, James Smith and Marvis Frazier. He lost to all those fighters except James Smith, whom he knocked out in four rounds. James Broad also knocked out Marvis Frazier in one round in the amateur ranks. His best career performance was on August 8th, 1984. On that date he fought on MSG Network for the NABF heavyweight title against then undefeated Eddie Gregg. James showed up for that bout in great shape and had Eddie Futch in his corner. He used a strong jab to keep his opponent off balance and when in close, threw power shots to the body of Gregg. After eight rounds, James won by a TKO, giving Gregg his first pro loss. For that bout he lived up to his nickname and he showed the viewing audience he had the skills of a first class professional.

Through the years, James left boxing fans some good memories. To see one of our own pass on is always sad. However, even more so in James' case, because of the way he died with neither fanfare or media interest. Boxing fans and media should express regret at the circumstances of the last few days of his life and give him a final salute for his contribution to boxing. James Broad will be missed."

Comment

http://www.boxrec.com/media/index.php/Jeff_Sims

Comment

wow didn't realize broad was dead, thanks for the info

Comment

Yogi and Machine,
          The info was much appreciated. Thank you both.

Like Duffgun, I was surprised to hear about this. I wonder how many other non world champion boxers from the 1970's and 1980's have passed with little or no fanfare?

Sad that they ended this way.

Thanks again fellas.

Comment

Broad was a nice fighter for a time, would've loved to see him fight Mitch Green as originally planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
              Broad was a nice fighter for a time, would've loved to see him fight Mitch Green as originally planned.
              Dynamite,
              Do you remember when Witherspoon knocked Broad down & out in the 2nd round of their fight and as soon as Broad started to fall, Witherspoon ran to a neutral corner and jumped up on the turnbuckle and held his arms around the corner post. Afterwards, in the interview, he said that Broad was so big that when he fell, he thought he might fall thru the ring and suck everything into the big hole!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry A View Post
                Dynamite,
                Do you remember when Witherspoon knocked Broad down & out in the 2nd round of their fight and as soon as Broad started to fall, Witherspoon ran to a neutral corner and jumped up on the turnbuckle and held his arms around the corner post. Afterwards, in the interview, he said that Broad was so big that when he fell, he thought he might fall thru the ring and suck everything into the big hole!
                Terry,
                Oh, yeah,remember that real well! If I was correct, Broad was something like 261 pounds in that fight.Unbelievable.To be honest, I didn't think Tim would take him out that quick.

Comment

Besides the 20 second knockout that Broad had over Marvis Frazier via a right hand to the forehead, which helped earn Broad the heavyweight spot for the 1980 Olympic team that ended up boycotting, the one memory of mine from James Broad that stands out the most comes from his fight with Greg Page on the Tyson/Thomas undercard.

It was a mauling affair under the hot Las Vegas sun (both fighters were out of shape too, so that made it extra tough for them), with both fighters doing plenty of leaning on each other in a rather uneventful fight. But what I best remember from that night for some odd reason is, after the fight, Broad turned to the ringside area and called out for some guy named "Chuck!", "Chuck!", a couple of times, as if to ask this Chuck guy if he had done enough to win or not.

Strange how the memory works some times.

Comment

James Broad vs. Joe Thomas

I boxed as a high school kid, at Willie Reddish Boxing Club. When I was boxing there, Curtis Parker was 15-0 and looked to be an up and coming Middleweight Champion. But then he lost 4 straight. It was a shame, but he fought contended after contender, without a break. At the same time, I was closely linked to Montgomery County Boxing Club, with Steve Traitz Sr. as the Trainer. He had a good stable of Fighters, with a Giant of a Heavyweight, named Joe Thomas.

This was the early 1980's, and the Top Amateur heavyweights were, Marvis Frazier, Tyrell Biggs, James Broad, and Joe Thomas. Of all of them, in 1981, Joe Thomas went on to become the National Golden Gloves heavyweight Champion. But just prior to this, he fought James Broad, in Wildwood,NJ. It was a Battle of Giants. I never saw Joe Thomas ever hit the canvas. But on this Day, the sounds of these 2 Giants, was amazing...I was Ringside. And at one point in the Fight, James Broad caught Joe Thomas with the right punch, that knocked Joe Thomas off of his feet. He didnt appear hurt, but Trainer, Steve Traitz Sr. threw in the towell. Joe Thomas was kind of upset about it. But Steve Traitz explained that he didnt want to risk anything, when he was headed to the golden Gloves nationals, and also Turning Pro. But James Broad showed me on that day, that he had amazing Power in his punch. Joe Thomas was an even Bigger Giant than James Broad...but Broad walked away the Victor. I am shocked to hear that James Broad is Dead, and at such a young age. I am also shocked to find out his last days, as being Homeless, and trapped in Alcholism...with Brain Damage. I didn't know this...and I feel very badly. I will remember James Broad and Joe Thomas as one of the most memorable Amateur Fights I ever saw..due largely to the Size of these Guys...and how you could feel the Floor shake when they hit one another!!! Ray

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                    Terry,
                    Oh, yeah,remember that real well! If I was correct, Broad was something like 261 pounds in that fight.Unbelievable.To be honest, I didn't think Tim would take him out that quick.

Comment

Working...
                    X