No announcement yet.

Improve stamina

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improve stamina

I'm having stamina problems, i can run 4 miles in the moring with out opening my mouth I just breath in my nose and out of it. But when I hit the mitts spar I feel more tired than I should be. I started sprints
    100mx2
    200m
    400mx2
    200m
    100mx2
    Am I doing something wrong? Maybe i'm reathing through my mouth instead of my nose. Any suggestions?

This is not my opinion, I heard about the issue from big boxers like James Toney and Roberto Duran: you cannot solve the ring stamina problem merely by running and such. It has to do with how comfortable and relaxed you are in the ring. Only sparring can do that. Hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar555 View Post
      I'm having stamina problems, i can run 4 miles in the moring with out opening my mouth I just breath in my nose and out of it. But when I hit the mitts spar I feel more tired than I should be. I started sprints
      100mx2
      200m
      400mx2
      200m
      100mx2
      Am I doing something wrong? Maybe i'm reathing through my mouth instead of my nose. Any suggestions?

I'd guess that the four miles you do breathing only through your nose are at a very slow pace. Nothing wrong with that, its good aerobic training. But its not going to help too much with fast paced/anaerobic pad work and sparring.....other than to give you a passable cardio base.

Nothing wrong with doing sprints either. What sort of recovery time do you take between each rep? I will say that your sprint session is a little short. You are only covering a mile in that session. I'd aim for 3 miles of speedwork, but no more than twice a week or it becomes counter productive.

I do 12 x 400m reps with 1 min rest

or a session of 8 x 200m & 8 x 400m alternating with 1 min rest

However with boxing training there is no substitute for simply doing it. Perhaps some heavy bag drills might help?

Comment

Running won't help much with stamina except overall a bit more endurance.

Sparring, mitt work and heavy bag work are the the ones that will build up your stamina in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
          Running won't help much with stamina except overall a bit more endurance.

Sparring, mitt work and heavy bag work are the the ones that will build up your stamina in the ring

Whilst I agree completely with your second paragraph, you're very wrong with the first.

Done correctly, distance running and interval training/speedwork are two of the best ways to condition yourself in an aerobic and anaerobic way. Boxers for generations have used running in their preparations and for good reason. Many heavyweights now seem to substitute running for swimming as it has less impact on the joints, but the mentality is the same. Cycling works too....

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
            Whilst I agree completely with your second paragraph, you're very wrong with the first.

Done correctly, distance running and interval training/speedwork are two of the best ways to condition yourself in an aerobic and anaerobic way. Boxers for generations have used running in their preparations and for good reason. Many heavyweights now seem to substitute running for swimming as it has less impact on the joints, but the mentality is the same. Cycling works too....
            Or you could row a boat as Jack Blackburn had Joe Louis and Sugar Ray Robinson do. Jack also fished at the same time though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              I'd guess that the four miles you do breathing only through your nose are at a very slow pace. Nothing wrong with that, its good aerobic training. But its not going to help too much with fast paced/anaerobic pad work and sparring.....other than to give you a passable cardio base.

Nothing wrong with doing sprints either. What sort of recovery time do you take between each rep? I will say that your sprint session is a little short. You are only covering a mile in that session. I'd aim for 3 miles of speedwork, but no more than twice a week or it becomes counter productive.

I do 12 x 400m reps with 1 min rest

or a session of 8 x 200m & 8 x 400m alternating with 1 min rest

However with boxing training there is no substitute for simply doing it. Perhaps some heavy bag drills might help?
              well I guess it is slow I run 6km in 30 minutes. I sped up the pace today and shadow boxed in between as well for sprints I do a 1 minute rest between.

Comment

thank you for your feedback I will apply some of the training methods.

Comment

As stated by others already here, running stamina does not = boxing stamina.

I've seen guys who can run tons of miles but get exhausted after a few rounds of sparring. It happens because they're tensed up and not relaxed, that adrenaline really kills your stamina. Try to be more relaxed next time you spar/do mitt work, just keep training boxing related exercises and your gas tank will get better. Keep doing your jogging and sprints along with the boxing work out, you'll get adjusted soon.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    As stated by others already here, running stamina does not = boxing stamina.

I've seen guys who can run tons of miles but get exhausted after a few rounds of sparring. It happens because they're tensed up and not relaxed, that adrenaline really kills your stamina. Try to be more relaxed next time you spar/do mitt work, just keep training boxing related exercises and your gas tank will get better. Keep doing your jogging and sprints along with the boxing work out, you'll get adjusted soon.
                    thanks for the advice bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X