Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Grandpa right about Floyd not doing enough to be considered an ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem is mayweather was never involved in any classic fights, you Dont ever hear people saying 'wow I just rewatched that classic mayweather fight' in most of his fights he landed a few more jabs than the other guy to nick the rounds and then ran or covered up when the action started. It was effective but he has no defining fights in his career. Also he had serious problems with a past prime de La hoya and retired to avoid the rematch which is the sign of a coward and not an atg.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
      Only fighters Floyd missed on his way up were kostya Tszyu and Margarito. But nobody in their right mind brings up Tszyu because he isnt the guy to beat Floyd mayweather.

Floyd could have fought Margarito too but offer to fight Baldomir was better so he went with that. Floyd wasnt a true WW at that point though and im not sure what would happened between him and margio

Same beating Mosley gave margarito... Floyd would have gave him. Minus the knockout.

It would have been a 12 round masterpiece. And he would have got no credit.

Comment

Pretty sure Floyd had less catchweight fights than Manny, so that doesn’t make sense. His one catchweight fight was when Canelo’s team said they will fight at 152, their idea, Floyd said ok..

Manny had more catchweight fights, i think. Also, Floyd fought a slightly younger De La Hoya at 154, Manny drained him down to 147. “But Manny started his career at flyweight!” Yeah, at 16 yrs old. A lot of guys around 135 to 147 were probably same weight as a Flyweight at 16, it’s just you don’t think about it because it’s not on a pro record. I bet Floyd wasn’t far off that weight at 15 or 16 too, it’s just he stayed amateur until after the olympics. He could’ve probably been beating Thai and Filipino bums at 16, weighing nearly what a Flyweight was.

Floyd is an ATG and the best of his era, Manny the second best of the era. Floyd beat him pretty easily too, and Floyd is older. The funny thing is, people say Floyd’s style is better for a long career..is it? His style was massively based on fast reflex and timing, which goes as you get older, which is why he often fought more flat footed from about 2010 onwards. It was his boxing brain that made him last a long time.

So, your grandpa is wrong. Floyd beat the who’s who of his era, barely ever looked like losing and retired undefeated. Did he fight everyone at their best? No, but who does? It’s probably logistically impossible. Manny didn’t either.

I think it hurts people to give Floyd the credit he deserves as a boxer. Like him as a person or not, he’s one of the greatest ever, no doubt.

I’m pretty much a neutral when it comes to Floyd v Manny, but Floyd was the greater fighter, just not as exciting for the most part.
        Last edited by deathofaclown; 04-09-2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Floyd is an atg. The goat status is an argument to be had, but no question about being one of the greats. His styles wasn’t all that exciting at welter and above (although I thoroughly enjoyed quite a few of them cotto, Mosley, Canelo, etc). But he was fighting above the weight for his power to mean jack****, so he adapted, that’s what makes him great.

I think he beats anybody from his generation. I don’t like when people bring up margo as some sort of boogie man (he’s a tough sob, but he’s a cheat), he would in all seriousness get outpointed at any point in his career by Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by Silkpajamas View Post
            Floyd is an atg. The goat status is an argument to be had, but no question about being one of the greats. His styles wasn’t all that exciting at welter and above (although I thoroughly enjoyed quite a few of them cotto, Mosley, Canelo, etc). But he was fighting above the weight for his power to mean jack****, so he adapted, that’s what makes him great.

I think he beats anybody from his generation. I don’t like when people bring up margo as some sort of boogie man (he’s a tough sob, but he’s a cheat), he would in all seriousness get outpointed at any point in his career by Mayweather.

They only really use Margarito for some moral fantasy victory because the fight never happened. If he hadn’t fought Canelo, Cotto or Mosley or whoever, they would be using their name instead right now. But he did fight them and he beat them. Just like he would’ve beaten Margarito, it’d be an easy points victory for Floyd.

They do it with Khan now, saying Floyd avoided Khan because of his speed. Really, the likes of Algieri, Peterson and Julio Diaz pretty much coped with Khan’s speed ok and had competitive fights, so people really think Floyd wouldn’t? Haha. Floyd and Khan are two entirely different calibre of fighter, no amount of speed could’ve bridged the gap.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather was the best fighter of his generation, but unfortunately did not have a defining fight where? He was forced to push his abilities to the absolute limit 'Nobody was good enough to push him to the absolute brink'.

He also always seemed beatable 'You would not watch Floyd Mayweather and think? WOW this guy is unbeatable or intimidating, he always seemed beatable' Where as fighters such as Mike Tyson, Roy Jones Junior had a aura of invincibility 'When they where on their game, they looked formidable to the point where normal humans beings who are not fans of boxing would of UNDERSTOOD? Those guys are frightening.

Floyd Mayweather never had that kind of presence inside of the ring.
              Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 04-09-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HitmanTommy View Post
                This conversation came up last night when we were watching something on tv about mayweathers daughter stabbing another girl.

Grandpa said that mayweather was a decent fighter, but he didn't dare to be great like Pacquiao and in his eyes, didn't do enough to be considered an ATG. I asked how and he said he never challenged himself by moving up to 154 and 160. He said a lot of great fighters were at 154, especially 160 and he should have fought them at those weights with no catch-weights attached.

Is my grandpa right?
                If your gP is black then he’s correct but if he’s white then he’s basically just an oldskool racist. Ha ha joke man just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Madison boxing View Post
                  Problem is mayweather was never involved in any classic fights, you Dont ever hear people saying 'wow I just rewatched that classic mayweather fight' in most of his fights he landed a few more jabs than the other guy to nick the rounds and then ran or covered up when the action started. It was effective but he has no defining fights in his career. Also he had serious problems with a past prime de La hoya and retired to avoid the rematch which is the sign of a coward and not an atg.
                  agreed... floyd doesnt have those career defining type fights.. even in the fights where his fans claim it was a complete shut up and that floyd schooled his opponent, that shiiet was STILL BORING as hell! lol!!

Comment

He’s unquestionably an ATG but failed to achieve the same greatness as Robinson, Armstrong, Ali, Leonard etc. That’s probably the point your Grandad is trying to make.

Comment

He did enough but nowhere close to top 20 atg. He didnt fight the people that would have put him in the top 20 atg list at the right time and some cases not at all

Comment

Working...
                      X