Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Ten Journeymen.....know what a Journeyman is?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten Journeymen.....know what a Journeyman is?

Here's the criteria and category of fighters....

1. Champion
    2. Contender
    3. Fringe Contender
    4. Journeyman
    5. Trial Horse
    6. Ham-n-Egger

A Journeyman is a fighter that can beat a champion on any given night due to his skill and heart; but generally isn't in the best of shape because of fighting too frequently or not being able to focus solely on boxing because of his regular job and need to pay the bills. Most are "Journeymen" due to bad breaks and bad management; but not due to lack of ability. These are the guys that are the preverbial "jack of all trades but masters of none"....they are just a notch below; but on any given night, can win it all. They fight the best and most of the time they lose....they are the fighters that will prove if your young prospect is the real thing or not because they will either make him or break him. Here's to the Journeymen....the backbone of boxing.

(Don't confuse a one-time contender who has slipped into journeyman status with a true journeyman.)....example: Ross Purity was a journeyman as was Oliver McCall before he won the title and Bert Cooper.

So....

Who are the Top Ten best p4p Journeymen ever?
    Who are the Top Ten best heavyweight Journeymen ever?
    Last edited by K-DOGG; 07-31-2006, 02:03 PM.

Emanual Augustus (Burton) is a P4P best journeyman.......**** I don't think there is another fighter ever to have 25+ losses and be as good as this guy......

Comment

For starters, if I were going to pick the Top 10 Heavyweight Journeymen of the last 20 years, my list would probably look like this:

1.-Oliver McCall..so good he actually won a championship

2.-Bert Cooper....hot and cold; but when he was hot, look out

3.-Mike Hunter....so good he was avoided by most

4.-Ross Purity...beat Joe Hipp, Wladimir Klisthko, and drew with Tommy Morrison

5.-James Tillis...slick when he was on, many a contender met the "Punching Cowboy" in the ring to earn his rep

6.-Tyrell Biggs...this former Olympian was always oh-so close to the top and gave nearly everyone a tough go; but lacked the stamina and mentality to close the big shows

7.-Art Tucker....a bit chinny; but he could take you out with one shot

8.-Jesse Ferguson...A staple in the heavyweight division for nearly 10 years; there are very few who made it to the top without getting by "The Boogeyman".

9.-Jose Ribalta...took Tyson into the tenth; and everybody wanted a piece of Jose for the rest of his career....a must stop for any contender in the late-80's and early 90's

10.-Wimpy Halstead...this tough S.O.B. was no wimp

I'm going to have to think a bit more for All-Time Heavy and surely p4p; but knowing there are so many knowledgeable posters here...I was hoping some of you guys could kick-start my list.

BTW....Raesaad....Great post. I don't know if I quite agree; but an argument could be made.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG
        Here's the criteria and category of fighters....

1. Champion
        2. Contender
        3. Fringe Contender
        4. Journeyman
        5. Trial Horse
        6. Ham-n-Egger

A Journeyman is a fighter that can beat a champion on any given night due to his skill and heart; but generally isn't in the best of shape because of fighting too frequently or not being able to focus solely on boxing because of his regular job and need to pay the bills. Most are "Journeymen" due to bad breaks and bad management; but not due to lack of ability. These are the guys that are the preverbial "jack of all trades but masters of none"....they are just a notch below; but on any given night, can win it all. They fight the best and most of the time they lose....they are the fighters that will prove if your young prospect is the real thing or not because they will either make him or break him. Here's to the Journeymen....the backbone of boxing.

(Don't confuse a one-time contender who has slipped into journeyman status with a true journeyman.)....example: Ross Purity was a journeyman as was Oliver McCall before he won the title and Bert Cooper.

So....

Who are the Top Ten best p4p Journeymen ever?
        Who are the Top Ten best heavyweight Journeymen ever?
        ]#
        Thats confused me buddy, if a journeyman is a fighter who can beat a champion on any given night, surely he would be champion?

Comment

Originally posted by platinummatt
          ]#
          Thats confused me buddy, if a journeyman is a fighter who can beat a champion on any given night, surely he would be champion?
          ...nope. for it to happen, the champion has to take him lightly and the journeyman has to actually put it all together for once in his life.

Comment

Sanderline Williams was never a push-over, always forced his opponents to think, some smart moves and decent countering.

Comment

Ross Purity was good when he wanted to be, he had no Amatuer expirence

Comment

don't know if they count but ...Livingstone Bramble,Darryl Tyson,Charles Murray,

Comment

i'll rep mickey ward to the grave. that guy made a pretty big splash considering he was a ****ing steamroller driver.

Comment

Yeah Sanderline Williams is a good pick.

Comment

Working...
                    X