Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn’t Mayweather fight Cotto?!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why doesn’t Mayweather fight Cotto?!!!

Let’s admit it, boxing fans, especially the diehard Floyd Mayweather fans; when was the last time you have seen Floyd in a fight with an outstanding boxer that is still in their prime? Don’t say Ricky Hatton because I’d have to laugh at that. My point being I truly believe Mayweather is too good for his last 5 or so fights.

Nevertheless, we’ve had the chance to see Manny Pacquiao fight opponents that Mayweather fought before him. Mayweather put on a brilliant fight versus Oscar De La Hoya in a decision win but Manny’s performance against De La Hoya was priceless, as the Filipino slugger made De La Hoya and his corner give up after being beaten really badly. We saw Mayweather knock out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round in 2007, while Hatton didn’t last a full six minutes versus Pacquiao and laid motionless in the middle of the ring afterwards.

And Oh, by the way, we haven’t seen Hatton in the ring since that night. You might want to compare Mayweather’s bout against Juan Manuel Marquez to Pacquiao’s bouts versus Marquez but take into consideration Marquez didn’t have to gain 20 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Side note: I will forever question Mayweather for the Marquez fight; There were so many better boxers in the welterweight division that he could have fought.

Anyway, my point is last time we saw Miguel Cotto it was in a one-sided bout against Yuri Foreman and Cotto looked great. But before that fight, Cotto was in the ring with Pacquiao and Manny’s speed and power proved to be the advantage of that fight. Pacquiao’s offensive aggression was just too much for Cotto. Since it is clear Mayweather is not going to fight Pacquiao right now, how about if he fights Miguel Cotto.

I believe that should truly be his next fight, if not a fight against Pacquiao. We saw a few years back Cotto beat the very same Shane Mosley that Mayweather just beat. Boxing fans all over do not want to see Mayweather fight another seasoned out of prime fighter. If not Pacquiao, at least Mayweather needs to take on Cotto. How about it?

link

Oh and Cotto is in his prime right now? news to me. Cotto didn't look great at all against Yuri, he looked the same really as he was against Pacquiao. There may have been a few tweaks and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Comment

Even at 154, Floyd would win comfortably and would probably face the same discrediting he did fighting Mosley. Cotto is past prime, too many wars, Floyd cherry picked, and so forth.

I would want to see it, but it probably wouldn't do much for Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
        Let’s admit it, boxing fans, especially the diehard Floyd Mayweather fans; when was the last time you have seen Floyd in a fight with an outstanding boxer that is still in their prime? Don’t say Ricky Hatton because I’d have to laugh at that. My point being I truly believe Mayweather is too good for his last 5 or so fights.

Nevertheless, we’ve had the chance to see Manny Pacquiao fight opponents that Mayweather fought before him. Mayweather put on a brilliant fight versus Oscar De La Hoya in a decision win but Manny’s performance against De La Hoya was priceless, as the Filipino slugger made De La Hoya and his corner give up after being beaten really badly. We saw Mayweather knock out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round in 2007, while Hatton didn’t last a full six minutes versus Pacquiao and laid motionless in the middle of the ring afterwards.

And Oh, by the way, we haven’t seen Hatton in the ring since that night. You might want to compare Mayweather’s bout against Juan Manuel Marquez to Pacquiao’s bouts versus Marquez but take into consideration Marquez didn’t have to gain 20 pounds to fight Pacquiao. Side note: I will forever question Mayweather for the Marquez fight; There were so many better boxers in the welterweight division that he could have fought.

Anyway, my point is last time we saw Miguel Cotto it was in a one-sided bout against Yuri Foreman and Cotto looked great. But before that fight, Cotto was in the ring with Pacquiao and Manny’s speed and power proved to be the advantage of that fight. Pacquiao’s offensive aggression was just too much for Cotto. Since it is clear Mayweather is not going to fight Pacquiao right now, how about if he fights Miguel Cotto.

I believe that should truly be his next fight, if not a fight against Pacquiao. We saw a few years back Cotto beat the very same Shane Mosley that Mayweather just beat. Boxing fans all over do not want to see Mayweather fight another seasoned out of prime fighter. If not Pacquiao, at least Mayweather needs to take on Cotto. How about it?

link
        Bob won't agree to that fight until after floyd manny.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
          Bob won't agree to that fight until after floyd manny.
          Bob would never agree to this fight. Bob killed this fight at 140, and he'll kill it at 154. The only way Floyd will be able to fight a toprank guy is if he signs a deal with toprank.

Comment

Terrible, terrible idea. For everyone involved.

Comment

Not to sound like an asshole,

I honestly don't give a fuck if Arum would agree to this or not. There was a time when this should have gone down and sadly it didn't. Why should Mayweather waste his time with this?
              Last edited by Doctor_Tenma; 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Won't happen...

...Cotto still lives in Puerto Rico..

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Fudo View Post
                  Not to sound like an *******,

I honestly don't give a fuck if Arum would agree to this or not. There was a time when this should have happened and sadly it didn't. Why should Mayweather waste his time with this?
                  It would be a huge f*** you to Pacquiao from from Arum if Arum did negotiate this fight and get it done as well. This is an intriguing but unrealistic option for both Cotto and Mayweather.

Comment

Cotto has to rebuild himself and prove he can still be an elite fighter. Last I heard the guy just had surgery. Even when he comes back he needs to beat a good fighter to prove he's recovered from the cement fist of cheatto.

Comment

Working...
                    X