No announcement yet.

How high do you rank Miguel Cotto?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
    I'm personally a big fan, but, until seeing his full record a moment ago, I didn't realise that the only man he ever beat to take their world title from them was Yuri Foreman. WBO Light Welterweight, WBA Welterweight and WBO Welterweight titles were all vacant when he fought for them.

No doubt that he's an excellent fighter, one of the best in the last decade IMO and has some great wins on his record, but has his success been in spite of the lack of any other Puerto Rican star and somewhat manufactured?
    Miguel is up there with the Mosleys and De la Hoya's of the world. Not quite the best of his era like Manny and Floyd but more like an A- fighter. Top 5 of his era for his weght classes. Many great fighters have lost fights, legitemetely, he only loss to the best.

Comment

He lost the big fights that mattered. Exciting fighter indeed and willing to fight anyone.

Beats B and B+ fighters but never been able to beat an A fighter. The close decision to Mosley is his best win.

He is similar to Terry Norris and Meldrik Taylor, look great and when they step to the top tier they lose. Those two guys looked great but never got over that hump to win the big one

Comment

Cotto was great fighter. Something was missing after the Margarito fight and I am certain he had his plaster wraps. That fight derailed his career and was a turning point.

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          yeah but Cotto lost that one.

You know, he was a decent B+ level fighter

The word "warrior" gets thrown around too much, "warriors" don't take knees, quit, and run away like he has done many times.

He was B+, he beat the guys he was supposed to beat and lost to the ones he was supposed to lose to, his resume is good but not great and he was a bully type fighter who was great when things were going his way but not so good under pressure.
          So would you say that Chaves Sr, Duran, and Morales are not warrior? They all quit

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
            yeah but Cotto lost that one.

You know, he was a decent B+ level fighter

The word "warrior" gets thrown around too much, "warriors" don't take knees, quit, and run away like he has done many times.

He was B+, he beat the guys he was supposed to beat and lost to the ones he was supposed to lose to, his resume is good but not great and he was a bully type fighter who was great when things were going his way but not so good under pressure.
            I agree with this. Coming up, Cotto was being prepped to be the next great Puerto Rican superstar and performed quite well, but was mainly a tough brawler more than we was a boxer.

Once he stepped up in comp, things got a bit tougher and the knockout power and potential slowly diminished.

He was in some historically exciting fights to say the least.

In my opinion, Trinidad brought more excitement due to his punching power and comebacks from knockdowns to close many shows.

Comment

very good fighter. good skills, decent power, average chin, poor stamina and a bit lazy if you ask me. he should still be fighting at 147, but i guess he likes his mams cooking too much. not a HOF fighter imo.

Comment

Hey bro, hes better than the #1/#2/#5/#6 and #8 on your faviorte fighters list. How can you say hes not a HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by JuanRakan View Post
                  Hey bro, hes better than the #1/#2/#5/#6 and #8 on your faviorte fighters list. How can you say hes not a HOF.
                  hahahaha. i hope your not talking to me!

there is no way cotto is better than marquez. get real.

you could say he is better than hatton but they are about level for me.

clearly isnt better than margarito since margarito knocked him out when they were both prime.

i dont think he is any better than mosley either, about level.

yeah he is better than burns.

HOF fighters are guys like mayweather, pacquiao, barerra and morales etc. not guys like cotto and hatton.

Comment

Cotto was and maybe is a great fighter who have something that most champs haven't..the willingness to fight everybody...

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
                      Cotto was and maybe is a great fighter who have something that most champs haven't..the willingness to fight everybody...
                      Totally Agree... See Trout, high risk.. low reward... now we got a bunch fighters who wait for the perfect time to fight a threat... Cotto is a dying breed.

Comment

Working...
                      X