No announcement yet.

M. Spinks called out Hagler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M. Spinks called out Hagler

I watched Michael Spinks defeat Oscar Rivadeneyra and in the post fight interview he called out Hagler asking him to move up so who would have won.
    I believe Spinks size would have led to him taking a 15 round decision but it would have been a great fight.

Originally posted by allupnem View Post
    I watched Michael Spinks defeat Oscar Rivadeneyra and in the post fight interview he called out Hagler asking him to move up so who would have won.
    I believe Spinks size would have led to him taking a 15 round decision but it would have been a great fight.
    It would not have a great fight IMO. It would have been lopsided. There is a reason why Hagler did not take it. He was a small MW, and Spinks was a large LHW. I think IMDAZED had a profile pic with the two of them together at some gala event, and you could see they are completely different sizes.

Throw in as an afterthought that Spinks was the smarter fighter, and it would have been a horrible night for Marvin.

Comment

Yes Spinks had the size advantage but that doesnt mean Hagler couldnt have made it a great fight. It's not like Hagler was some so so MW Champion.
      Last edited by JAB5239; 02-12-2012, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by allupnem View Post
        LOL What does "it would not have a great fight" mean. I guess your not as smart as you think. Yes Spinks had the size advantage but that doesnt mean Hagler couldnt have made it a great fight. It's not like Hagler was some so so MW Champion.
        I guess you need to learn a few more things about these fighters you are writing about.

Comment

Every top fighter "calls out" any other fighter who can get him a good payday. Especially when you have obvious advantages like Spinks would have had against Hagler.

Most fans take post fight comments too seriously anyway.

Comment

Spinks and Hagler were roughly around the same level in terms of their abilities. P4P speaking, it would be a hell of a matchup.

Straight up at 175, not really a fair matchup. Spinks handily beats him.

Comment

Great fight or not, in todays equivalent it would mean a prime middleweight ATG Hagler jumping up two weight divisions to fight a prime ATG light heavyweight......soon to make a move up to heavyweight and beat a pretty useful version of Larry Holmes.

Hagler's chin, desire and ability will make him very game. But this is not a fight he would be likely to win.

Comment

Hagler makes it competative but loses. He wouldn't come in at 160 lbs, he'd bulk up. His stamina would suffer most likely, I see his chin and heart keeping him alive till the final bell though. I also see Hagler having his moments.

Comment

Originally posted by PED User View Post
                  Spinks and Hagler were roughly around the same level in terms of their abilities. P4P speaking, it would be a hell of a matchup.

Straight up at 175, not really a fair matchup. Spinks handily beats him.
                  This ^^^^^

In the history of boxing, you don't really see ATG getting close to beating ATG + another 20lbs of ATG.

And most definitely not if the bigger guy is also smarter, and the smaller guy is less mobile and more aggressive than he used to by the time the fight is staged (this fight would not be anything like Louis-Conn I)

In fact you rarely see such a fight happening. Because the smaller ATG, who usually beats everyone around his size has nothing to gain in getting all beat up and looking relatively helpless (* with rare exceptions happening with LHWs moving up to HW, because a HW title fight used to bring soooooo much money that getting beat up made more sense). Had the outcome not been so obvious, there would have been some pressure on Marvin to move up, but I don't think there was any (although when I was a little fella Marvin was like god to me, so I probably have removed anything bad said about him from my childhood memories)

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    Hagler makes it competative but loses. He wouldn't come in at 160 lbs, he'd bulk up. His stamina would suffer most likely, I see his chin and heart keeping him alive till the final bell though. I also see Hagler having his moments.
                    I am enough of a Hagler believer to think he makes it to the end of the fight. The guy's chin was insane

About having his moments... I just do not see what they would look like. By 1984 he would not outbox Spinks, and well size would make it impossible to outgun him.

Comment

Working...
                    X