Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How badly will learning to box mess up my hands?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How badly will learning to box mess up my hands?

Ive wanted to learn how to box for years but have always decided not to because I am a musician and my hands are very important to me. If I did bite the bullet and take it up honestly how likely is it that my hands will be damaged? do any of you guys box and play an instrument?

Started boxing when I was 10 yrs old and also started playing drums at 11! You can hurt your hands very easily if your not carefull to wrap them according to what exercise your performing from bag to spar. The gloves you use again need to be the correct gear for the task your performing. You will get stronger in your forearms and wrists and your tendons will be strengthened. If your looking to train as a fighter does without trying becoming a fighter your risks are minimal as long as you use common sense. I didn't listen to my Uncle who started off training me along with my older brother and his best friend Gaspar Ortega a top ten welter at that time. I punched the heavy without wraps or gloves at times and my knuckles split and wound up with inflamation inbetween my knuckles to the point of hand treatments for the rest of my life. Alot of that breakdown was foolishness but also genetics. Just be cautious and use quality wraps and gloves. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ds121 View Post
      Ive wanted to learn how to box for years but have always decided not to because I am a musician and my hands are very important to me. If I did bite the bullet and take it up honestly how likely is it that my hands will be damaged? do any of you guys box and play an instrument?
      I don't play an instrument, but I have been boxing on and off for the past 19 years - My hands are perfectly fine. Nothing at all wrong with them. In fact, very few amateur boxers have problems with their hands as far as I'm aware?

Wrap your hands well, use suitable gloves and hit a suitable bag (i.e. not too hard / heavy) and you SHOULD be fine.

Comment

I did Filipino Martial Arts for a number of years (i.e. taking lots of hits to the knuckles with a rattan stick), and recently started boxing. All through it, I've been playing guitar, and I've never had a hand or finger injury that kept me from playing for more than a few days.

Having said that, I'm not a great guitar player and I'm not a crazy intense martial artist or boxer. The possibility for injury is real, so if keeping your hands in good shape is important, I would suggest two things:

1. Be diligent with protective gear. Learn how to wrap correctly and always use proper gloves--standard stuff that any good boxing gym should be doing.

2. Adopt a gradual pace when getting into boxing. Put in extra time to ingrain movements slowly, using the mirror, before going heavy on the mitts or punching bag. And if you have lasting soreness or other signs of minor injury, let it heal before continuing. (Also, figure out what caused the pain and fix it!)

Obviously, someone who pushes themselves will progress much faster, but this is at greater risk of injury. If you're willing to use yer noggin a little more to watch others carefully and analyze your own mistakes, and you're willing to accept a slower rate of improvement, then I think it's possible to eventually get where you want to without exposing yourself to high risk of injury.

Comment

I've done martial arts and boxing for over 19 years and even when not sparring, the heavy bag gets a good workover.

I play the Keyboard, drums and electric guitar.

Poor punch technique and/or bandaging issues might cause temporary problems but my hands are better than ever right now.

To be honest, tendonitis and carpel tunnel syndrome as a result of improper warmup or over playing your musical instruments too much is far more detrimental to your musicianship.

Frankly, you'd be daft to give the heavy bag a serious workover just before a piano recital or a gig of some kind. But boxing training done properly should not impair you at all.

Comment

I fought for 15 years or so and I never had a problem with my hands. A sore knuckle was the worst that I ever had. Just be sure that your hands are properly wrapped. The wraps that have a little elasticity are the best ones, they'll give you a nice snugg wrap..........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
            X