Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love all this talk about Martinez being overrated.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They did the same after Gamboa's fight against Salido (before this the Gamboa-Lopez talk was pretty even, after it, it was overwhelmingly in favor of Lopez)... They can't see that far.

Martinez doesn't deserve all the hate, but from my vantage point, the more haters you have, the more successful you can become. Martinez will eventually destroy their current opinions of him.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Barker does deserve credit, but Pacquiao and Mayweather have both faced more criticism than Martinez is for doing better against better fighters than Barker.

If Sergio is going to be on the Pacquiao/Mayweather level, this is the criticism that comes with it.
      and thats what most martinez fans just aren't getting..............

if we are to put martinez with pac & mayweather he had better be just as good..............other wise, he's highly overrated if u r put him on that level........

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
        Did they stay at 154 or did the run back down to a more comfortable weight-class?

If they fight him at 154 at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. More credit should be giving to them then Martinez himself. But, you can't blame anyone for fighting at a weight-class they're not comfortable in. I will never ask Martinez to fight at a weight he isn't comfortable in fighting in.

Both Floyd and Pac tried it. Didn't like the weight-class and in their very next fight went to a weight-class they felt it suited them more...So what's the problem?
        Yeah, but both Pacman & Floyd are perfectly willing to fight Marquez at welterweight right? 2 weightclasses above his comfort weight. But they cannot fight the overrated #3 pfp at a weight both have title at, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          Don't bother, people who feel Pacquiao and Mayweather are ducking Martinez feel that way, and nothing will change their mind.
          Martinez is on the right in calling out both Floyd, Pac, and Cotto. And, is not like he's calling them out at 160. He's willing to fight them at 150-154.

But, both Floyd and Pac are in the right by saying thanks but not thanks. Because, that's not their weight-class. How can two fighters be ducking a fight at a weight-class they don't feel comfortable in?

Is beyond me...But, you right nothing will change their mind...They just lack common sense it seems.

Comment

martinez should change his promoter. it's not good when he's still considered a high risk low reward guy, that's why everyone is avoiding him. berto has the same problem. dibella not doing a great job there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              Yeah he's overrated, but I'd love you to explain to me how a fighter that stuggled & looked clumsy against a shot 40 year old Mosley would beat him. Floyd would be competitive but he still looses. Pacman just gets steamrolled, that's why he's fighting Marquez at 147.
              If you are so sure those guys lost to Martinez why would you even want to see the fight? Since you are so sure of the outcome why would you complain about those guys not fighting Martinez?

To tell you the truth I agree each guy most likely loses to Martinez. So its a high risk/low reward type of situation for both guys. Martinez doesn't bring name recognition or money to the table. He'd have more to gain and Pac/Floyd would each have more to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                Yeah, but both Pacman & Floyd are perfectly willing to fight Marquez at welterweight right? 2 weightclasses above his comfort weight. But they cannot fight the overrated #3 pfp at a weight both have title at, sure.
                Yes both Floyd and Pac fought JMM at a weight-class they both were comfortable in...Neither campaign at 154...They not even top 10 in that weight-class. You can't blame fighters for not wanting to fight at a weight-class they're not comfortable in fighting...How can you?

Now if you both Floyd and Pac decide to fight someone else at 150+. Then your point would be valid...But, until then you have no point.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
                  Martinez is on the right in calling out both Floyd, Pac, and Cotto. And, is not like he's calling them out at 160. He's willing to fight them at 150-154.

But, both Floyd and Pac are in the right by saying thanks but not thanks. Because, that's not their weight-class. How can two fighters be ducking a fight at a weight-class they don't feel comfortable in?

Is beyond me...But, you right nothing will change their mind...They just lack common sense it seems.
                  I agree, Martinez can call out whoever he wants, and in the cases of Cotto and Chavez Jr., those are clear ducks if they don't fight him. But like you said, Mayweather and Pacquiao do not fight at 154. It's simply not a duck in anyway.

I do think one of them will fight him at 154 though. Probably Mayweather, since 154 would be easier for him, if not easy in general.

Comment

People saying he's overrated because they think highly of him too, but feel he's praised way too highly.

I agree Mayweather and Pacquiao should fight him at 154, but Pac fans say he's too big. Mayweather fans actually want to see this fight, at least from the one's that I have read commenting on this. Then the Cotto fans try to use the same "too small" argument that Pac fans are using even though Cotto is just one weight class south, and Martinez doesn't even use the full MW limit. And people saying for Martinez to fight Hopkins at 170 or fight a 168 guy, when Martinez has never even fought at 168, while Mayweather and Pacquiao have fought for a 154 pound title.

I wish people would just be completely honest with themselves, and say "Sergio Martinez is not a 34 year old past prime De La Hoya, or a washed up/shot punching bag Margarito". Because Martinez is the same height as both Margarito and DLH, give or take 1 an inch, and they all weigh around the same on fight night. Martinez is not too big, he's just too good. Cotto fans are the funniest though, they look worse than May/Pac fans, because Cotto fights at 154 and that clown hasn't even fought a real good top 154 fighter and been there for almost 3 years. He's scared of fighting Martinez even if Martinez offers him his whole purse if he wins. Of course Cotto will reject that offer because he knows he's not gonna win and his fans know this too.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnwoo8686 View Post
                      If you are so sure those guys lost to Martinez why would you even want to see the fight? Since you are so sure of the outcome why would you complain about those guys not fighting Martinez?

To tell you the truth I agree each guy most likely loses to Martinez. So its a high risk/low reward type of situation for both guys. Martinez doesn't bring name recognition or money to the table. He'd have more to gain and Pac/Floyd would each have more to lose.
                      I can still see Floyd maning up though, he had everything to lose with Ortiz. The point is fight fans are trying to say Martinez is overrated. Well if he isn't that good, either Floyd or Pacman,(the 2 supposedly best fighters in boxing) should prove it.

Comment

Working...
                      X