Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather Hasn't Faced A Prime Opponent since 2011

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When was Mayweather's prime? Defining that period would add better perspective to these types of threads....

Comment

Note: Mayweather has been out of his prime all of those years.

Comment

in 2011 Floyd was 34..was he somehow still prime???lol

Comment

Guerrero
          Maidana
          Canelo

were all prime

and Floyd himself was not prime

Comment

I thought he deserved a high PFP rating. So he didn't fight these boxers in their exact prime. No other boxer was fighting all these prime aces either. He beat damn good boxers fight after fight. Yes, he should have fought Canelo at 154 but his PFP rating was based on Floyd the welterweight not Floyd the junior middleweight. He never fought Bradley because he would have had to do business with Arum and their hatred for each other was real. He was better than Bradley and few would have picked Bradley to beat him at any time. Khan was never a top choice at welterweight. He had too many KO losses that he never avenged. Khan had lost to Peterson and had been KOed by Garcia and Khan had no big welterweight wins. There was not a good reason to fight Khan.Mayweather beat Cotto and he beat Mosley, Guerrero, and Pacquiao when they were world champions. He was older than both Cotto and Pacquiao. If some other welterweight had defeated CH Pacquiao, Maidana twice, Cotto, CH Guerrero, CH Mosley and CH Ortiz they would be rated very highly PFP so why shouldn't Mayweather be highly rated PFP for these wins?

Comment

Floyd is a marketing genius to have cats talk so much about him even when he's retired. I mean sh^t if there was one week since Floyd's retirement post-Berto that there wasn't a Floyd thread on this forum I'd be surprised. How many retired boxers have had that type of effect historically. Granted back in the 50's people couldn't go online to talk about Rocky Marciano or whoever, but I'd bet people didn't bring him or other guys up in random boxing conversation with like minded friends like Floyd's been brought up in his retireement.

Interesting thing doe. Respect to Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                When was Mayweather's prime? Defining that period would add better perspective to these types of threads....
                From pro debut to 6 years from now to hear some cats speak on it. Its hilarious to me when people say Floyd didn't fight so & so in his prime & they ignore Floyd was older then that guy f#cking was lmfao. Floyd makes even some reasonable cats insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  From pro debut to 6 years from now to hear some cats speak on it. Its hilarious to me when people say Floyd didn't fight so & so in his prime & they ignore Floyd was older then that guy f#cking was lmfao. Floyd makes even some reasonable cats insane.
                  He absolutely does drive otherwise sane analysts crazy.

All they wind up doing is being hypocrites and making up new ways to measure Floyd that they would never employ with any other fighter.

They slow down film, dispute punchstats that they are quick to rely on with other fighters, and dwell on anything except what he actually did in the ring.

I guess that is a way of underlining his impact in the sport, to be so good the only way to make you look bad is to use an impossible yardstick.

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                    Pacquiao faced Bradley 3 times post prime and fought bigger guys in Algieri and Horn, in the case of Algieri, some 4 or 5 inches taller.

Mayweather had to boil a guy down...who was an inch shorter lol

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
                      He absolutely does drive otherwise sane analysts crazy.

All they wind up doing is being hypocrites and making up new ways to measure Floyd that they would never employ with any other fighter.

They slow down film, dispute punchstats that they are quick to rely on with other fighters, and dwell on anything except what he actually did in the ring.

I guess that is a way of underlining his impact in the sport, to be so good the only way to make you look bad is to use an impossible yardstick.
                      No impossible yardstick. Pac has a better resume, more HOF worthy wins and more dominant wins. Deal with it

Comment

Working...
                      X