Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate Floyd in ATG p4p list?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
    Floyd has never even been knocked down before. 50 fights and not even a flash KD.

You have to watch the Judah fight in super slow mo, like a creep lookin for a nipple-slip just to find a single flaw in his 21 year career! Thats insane.
    No one denies Floyd has a grade A chin. It's not unique though. He's not the only one to go 50 + fights without being knocked down.

Castillo and Maidana ran Floyd very close. Shot Oscar did too. A higher calibre of fighter would have beat Floyd on those nights.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Viper View Post
      DJ your whopping tail in this thread man....you make a good point about mayweather not beating all the 80's greats and keeping his zero. i even made this point in the mayweather mosley thread asking would mayweather go 6-0 vs prime forest/oscar and winky(2 times a piece) lol i'm not sure he could do that let alone clear out the 80's greats.......
      I'd have Oscar and Mosley beating Floyd at lightweight. Floyd didn't look great at lightweight. I even pick Ken Buchanan, Ismael Laguna and Carlos Ortiz to run Floyd close at 135. Ike Williams and Duran would **** Floyd up at 135. Not sure about The great Benny Leonard due to lack of film but according to Ray Arcel Benny was the toughest, most skilled and cleverest fighter he ever trained which is scary because Arcel trained prime Duran.

The great welters who I have no doubt would beat the best of Floyd Mayweather at welterweight are Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Duran of Montreal vintage, Kid Gavilan and Jose Napoles. The Floyd who turned up vs Maidana would have been absolutely destroyed by all of the above.

Comment

• Originally posted by Johnny2x2x View Post
        QFT.

The same way NBA and NFL players from today would blow the minds of NBA and NFL players from the 80s and earlier. Can you imagine John Havlicek seeing a 6-8, 265 lb monster like Lebron James coming down the court at him? He'd probably just leave the court. Can you imagine what Ndomukong Suh would do to the 280 lb interior offensive linemen from the 80s? He'd literally severely injure guys on every series.

Boxing is the same as any other sport, the athletes of today would absolutely destroy the athletes from yesterday.
        A better comparison for LeBron would be Magic Johnson (same position). Johnson in his prime would school LeBron.

LeBron would have gotten MUGGED if he played in the 80's. NBA players today play in a much safer environment compared to yesteryear.

The Suh comparison however is spot on NFL players now ARE BIGGER FASTER AND MORE AGGRESSIVE.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry-greb View Post
          You're smoking some serious ****. Floyd needed two fights to see off chino maidana!!!

If sugar ray robinson fought twice a year he'd be unbeaten til he was a hundred years old
          Mayweather was 37yrs old and 148lbs, while Marcos was in his prime at 30 and 165lbs. Mayweather been dominating fighters like Chino his entire life, why try to be slick, and watch him had a hard time with him at an old age, and try to use that at a gauge!? You aint slick! Floyd vs SRR= blatant mismatch in Floyd's favor

Comment

Greb is God
            Greb is arguably the greatest of all time. I've got the Greb book 'Live Fast Die Young - The life and times of Harry Greb'. Only flicked through it reading bits and bobs. Need to get down to reading it all.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Johnny2x2x;18023328]HOF is the definition of All Time great, it's not Floyd's fault his era didn't have any other top 10 all time fighters. Heck, maybe if Pacquaio would have beaten Floyd he'd have been top 5 All Time. Once again, people hold Floyd to a different standard than any other fighter.

Compare the SRL vs Hagler fight vs the Floyd vs Oscar fight.

Hagler was 33, Oscar was 34. Floyd moved up in weight to fight Oscar, SRL moved up in weight to fight Hagler.

SRL made all kinds of ridiculous demands and got them, massive 12 oz gloves, massive 22X22 ring, 12 rounds instead of the standard at the time 15 rounds. Leonard had several non head gear real matches behind closed doors. The fight ended in a controversial split decision that many think Hagler won to this day. Leonard reportedly said that to Hagler that Hagler had won that fight.

There was no controversy in the Mayweather fight. MAyweather gave Oscar every advantage, his gloves, his ring, everything.

Why is SRL's win over Hagler better than Floyd's win over Oscar? The answer is that it's not.

First of all, ray leonard came out of a three year retirement and went straight for the middleweight champ.
              Secondly, even after a 3 year hiatus, srl was still the draw so hagler had to acquiesce to his demands.
              Floyd may act like he "gave" Oscar every advantage when in reality he had to give in to Oscars demands because Oscar was the draw.
              Oscar's previous fight before fighting Floyd was mayorga.
              Haglers previous fight was mugabi.

No comparison
              Last edited by harry-greb; 09-10-2017, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
                Skill wise he's the GOAT and should considered top 10 by anyone who really knows the sport. Bumgarito couldn't even beat Daniel Santos beating him means nothing. Williams lost to Quintana and nobody ever put him in the same sentence as Floyd. Tszyu would've got the fight but he lost to Hatton so Hatton got it. You're clutching at straws, the guys he beat were better than the guys you mentioned. 26 world champions on his resume and you trolls still moan about his competition SMH. What do you want? The dude to fight 35-40 world champs? Skill wise he's the best ever whether you like it or not. There's never been anyone with as much skill, ever.
                He's in the conversation for the most skilful.
                Margarito fought Santos in 2004 at light-middle. I'm talking about the 2007-2008 welterweight margarito.
                It looked to me like he chose baldomir ahead of margarito when the same purse was on offer.
                Williams blitzed quintana in 1 round in the rematch. He would have given Floyd all he could handle.
                I'll give u the tszyu situation. Probably missed each other by a year or two.

Stop with the 26 world champions nonsense. Only in boxing do u have 4 or 5 or 6 people claiming to be world champion. Lineal champs or no.1 in the division is all that matters.
                Gatti and Judah and anyone else who was a former "titlist" doesn't count.
                I'm a huge Floyd fan, loved watching him in the ring but I can't stand the TBE idiots

Comment

• Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
                  Mayweather was 37yrs old and 148lbs, while Marcos was in his prime at 30 and 165lbs. Mayweather been dominating fighters like Chino his entire life, why try to be slick, and watch him had a hard time with him at an old age, and try to use that at a gauge!? You aint slick! Floyd vs SRR= blatant mismatch in Floyd's favor
                  Floyd was the freshest 37 year old in the history of boxing. I'm just saying that if a come forward fighter like maidana and Castillo cud give him hell what cud a murderous punching sugar ray Robinson do???
                  The fonz was slick and i m no fonzy

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
                    Greb is arguably the greatest of all time. I've got the Greb book 'Live Fast Die Young - The life and times of Harry Greb'. Only flicked through it reading bits and bobs. Need to get down to reading it all.
                    Have it myself. He's like the bogeyman. Did he even exist?

Comment

Have it myself. He's like the bogeyman. Did he even exist?
                      Well apparently Whitey made up the legend of Harry Greb so that they had a white guy to compete for the title as GOAT with Robinson, Armstrong and Langford.

Comment

Working...
                      X