Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amir Khan to face Gomez on June 21st

Can't help but feel this is a backwards step for old Amir
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7385918.stm

If this was the Gomez of 4 years ago it would be an excellant test but now it's just a typical Warren fight. To be fair to Amir he has said that he believes he's beyond the domestic scene now, about as far as he can go in critisising Warren's matchmaking without actually calling him a stupid tool.

Gomez to make it interesting for about 4 rounds before tiring and being stopped around 5 or 6.

After the fight Warren will declare Khan's next fight to be against a world famous name. 2 Weeks afterwards we'll find out that it is the honeymonster and they will be contesting the IBO belt.

Comment

Agree completely.....

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Sugarj
      Yea Gomez looked great for a while against Johannson, it wont be a walk in the park, a good tune up for Rees in September and then hopefully a world title fight.

Its definately a fight Amir will win, I cant see him doing an Alex Arthur at this point in his career!

Quote:
      Originally Posted by uppercut_84
      I think its not that bad of a fight. Gomez can bang and will certainly test Amir's chin a bit. He gave Carl Johanneson a good fight for 6 rounds until he was stopped. I'm expecting Khan to win in under 5 rounds.

Gomez did look dangerous against Johannsen in the first couple of rounds but that was at super-feather. Khan is much bigger than Johannsen (probably around 140-147lbs on fight night) and a lot more skillful than Johannsen.

The Gomez of a few years ago would have given Khan hell but moving up in weight and due to his inactivity I cannot see him having the stamina to trouble Khan. As I said it will be interesting to see if he carries his power up in weight. If he does then in the early rounds I think he will cause a few problems with his aggression and "take two to give one style".

I hope it will be a good fight and you are both right but I personally think it is about time Khan fought someone who weighs the same and carries a a good punch. As yet we are still to see that.

Peace.

Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!

Posted in
      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180076
      Last edited by good_looking01; 05-06-2008, 06:26 PM. Reason: Quotes in Bold

Comment

i dont want to whinge too much as khans still a young lad and doesnt need all the hassle. especially when its frank warren whos behind the poor matchmaking. however i think this is definately a step backwards, i think gomez is washed up. he'll have a couple of decent rounds as always then get outclassed and knoced the **** out.

how much longer is khan contracted to warren for? if it is a long time then i can see these no hope fights going on for a long time. warren obviously has no problem duping the british publuic and has done it many times before

Comment

I think tactically its a good fight..Right now Khan is learning. We know he has a dodgy chin and so slowly they need to test it..
          Gomez has a decent punch and can be competitive for a few rounds..khan will have to take a few decent shots, before he knocks gomez out.Gomez wont have that much in him to land too many shots that will risk khan losing the fight.
          From this fight they'll learn how good/bad his chin is, he'll also get the experience of bein punched a lil harder.

Comment

got a feeling this might be another Earl situation with Gomez being totally shot but with Gomez you just never know, he will defo catch him with a few good shots before getting caught himself, it will be interesting to see wether Dean Powell changes anything or not, its definatly a step back tho , and i cant see the point in fighting Rees next either, whats the point in getting yourself manouvered into a title shot position then not going for it?

bit of a strange move firing Oliver Harrison but getting an American coach might not be a bad thing just not Buddy Mcgirt , so against Gomez there will be a new trainer another fight more or less lined up next with Gavin Rees big things for a young lad to be coping with mentally and if he hasnt coped with by fight time Gomez could have him wobbling a few times but Khan should still see him off around the 4th or 5th then fight Rees prob on Satanta if he comes through both unscathed thats the last you will see of him on free tv

Comment

Originally posted by smokeyjackson View Post
              got a feeling this might be another Earl situation with Gomez being totally shot but with Gomez you just never know, he will defo catch him with a few good shots before getting caught himself, it will be interesting to see wether Dean Powell changes anything or not, its definatly a step back tho , and i cant see the point in fighting Rees next either, whats the point in getting yourself manouvered into a title shot position then not going for it?

bit of a strange move firing Oliver Harrison but getting an American coach might not be a bad thing just not Buddy Mcgirt , so against Gomez there will be a new trainer another fight more or less lined up next with Gavin Rees big things for a young lad to be coping with mentally and if he hasnt coped with by fight time Gomez could have him wobbling a few times but Khan should still see him off around the 4th or 5th then fight Rees prob on Satanta if he comes through both unscathed thats the last you will see of him on free tv
              Agreed pretty much entirely .... good post

Comment

does this mean Kahn cannot physically break Naz's record now? Had he given up on that idea anyway?

Knowing Warren he'll prob lumber Amir with a WBO strap for the next 100 years.

Comment

Frank Warren strikes again!!!, you just cannot keep the man down, Mr Mismatch is back.

Comment

Working...
                  X