cutting weight without running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting weight without running

hey everyone,

The situation i am in is kinda ****ty. I physically can't run for another 3-4 months due to a dislocated knee injury and I am looking to cut weight about 10lbs. I am 158 right now and hoping in 5 months to be at 148 ish plus or minus a little. Since I cannot run, I have to resort to other types of cardio. Mainly I am doing swimming 2 hours a day for 3 days. I am also doing the eliptical every once in awhile. I am wondering what are other ways to cut weight without running part.

I am also planning on changing my diet to become healthier. Can anyone recommend what type of food I should eat.

thanks for the help

I'm sure there are paople who could go into detail about nutrition than me but for a start i would say limit your carbs, especially on non training days, substitute meat for fish and eat plenty fresh fruit and vegetables, get through 1 1/2 litres of water per day and CUT OUT ALL THE ****. Pretty basic stuff really

Comment

Originally posted by msagrain View Post
      eating good(common sense), maybe skiping? if you can do it on one foot.
      great way to set yourself up for injury down the line. DO NOT skip on one leg.

Comment

check out the site i posted on my thread..
        its all about eating every 3 hours, balanced..

Comment

Eeeek, don't try skipping on one leg. I you have one bad knee you could do some serious damage to the other one.

Swimming will often bulk you up more. I've never known someone that swims to lose weight from it. It builds up muscle well, but it won't cut fat. Your best bet would be to learn some very good nutritional habits. By the stage that you get back into some running when your knee is better you'll have a good nutritional foundation which will make cutting body fat ten times easier and it will be healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            Eeeek, don't try skipping on one leg. I you have one bad knee you could do some serious damage to the other one.

Swimming will often bulk you up more. I've never known someone that swims to lose weight from it. It builds up muscle well, but it won't cut fat. Your best bet would be to learn some very good nutritional habits. By the stage that you get back into some running when your knee is better you'll have a good nutritional foundation which will make cutting body fat ten times easier and it will be healthy.
            Muscle burns fat...the more muscle you have the more fat you burn...however muscle also ways more than fat....catch 22...

Cardio wise....swimming is just as intense as boxing....it is more demanding than running and a hell of a lot easier on the joints...since it is non-impact....
            ?????????????????????????????????

try taking a fish oil omega 3's & 6's complex with CLA and L-Carnitine daily....you will lose fat while maintaining muscle mass....

Comment

thanks for all ur replies.

I just need to tell you guys that I can physically skip rope as long as I am on a soft surface usually like grass or turf. I talked to my doc and he said that this is okay.

i am now trying to implement a strict diet regime and a diligent work out schedule.

As for nutrition I am trying to stay lean. For breakfast I usually have a yogurt with granola and fruit and lots of water/juice. For lunch I am eating turkey sandwiches with some fruit. And for dinner eating grilled chicken with some veggies. All in all I am trying to cut back on drinking beer/liquor but find it sometimes difficult just to kick back with a brew.

For training, I am trying to incorporate two workouts a day. One in the morning which includes either swimming, skipping rope or the eliptical and at night I usually box (shadow box, speed bag, double end, and heavy bag) I try to do this at least 4 times a week. I spar every once in awhile but find it hard to get a regiment and consistent partner due to my schedule. On the days I am not doing this training I work out and do capoeira (brazilian martial arts)

Any comments would be helpful. thanks for the help

Comment

Trash bag and a sweat suit always works!

Comment

Originally posted by mr. buttons View Post
                  thanks for all ur replies.

I just need to tell you guys that I can physically skip rope as long as I am on a soft surface usually like grass or turf. I talked to my doc and he said that this is okay.

i am now trying to implement a strict diet regime and a diligent work out schedule.

As for nutrition I am trying to stay lean. For breakfast I usually have a yogurt with granola and fruit and lots of water/juice. For lunch I am eating turkey sandwiches with some fruit. And for dinner eating grilled chicken with some veggies. All in all I am trying to cut back on drinking beer/liquor but find it sometimes difficult just to kick back with a brew.

For training, I am trying to incorporate two workouts a day. One in the morning which includes either swimming, skipping rope or the eliptical and at night I usually box (shadow box, speed bag, double end, and heavy bag) I try to do this at least 4 times a week. I spar every once in awhile but find it hard to get a regiment and consistent partner due to my schedule. On the days I am not doing this training I work out and do capoeira (brazilian martial arts)

Any comments would be helpful. thanks for the help
                  Any Comments will be helpful??????????????????

Did you read any of these so far.....do you pay attention when you read or are you just going through the motions??????????????

Forgive me for being blunt but your diet will fail......3 meals a day is not enough to lose any weight.....

you need to learn how your diet affects the body....because you do not understand yet do you?????

I will comment no more on your weight loss.........good luck

FYI: If you continue to do 3 hours of cardio, box and dance aerobics (capoeira) then eat like an 80 year old woman you will definitely end up doing more harm than good..........you will be very fragile during your dance routines.....seriously...up the protein or your body will begin to use its remaining muscle mass as fuel..........
                  Last edited by Detroit101; 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X