Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holyfield Broke. Selling off Championship belts, Olympic medal, etc.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Doesn't this good christian man have something like 13 kids with 9 different women and has been divorced about 5 times. That will strain your finances.
    Yeah, not to mention his involvement with Don King and the 109 room mansion the bank just sold out from under him. The Holy Fortress was apparently $1 million+ to keep running yearly.

Comment

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
      I honestly don't care.

How much did he earn during his career? £200m+?

I'll be lucky to see 1/100th of that wealth during my lifetime.

If he ends up broke, so be it.

on the one hand i can see where people are coming from with this sort of logic. everyday people work tirelessly to see a tiny fraction of what these guys make, and they blow it all away.

on the other hand, it's become very obvious over the years that boxers are very naive when it comes to money. they dont really understand it. during their careers most fighters simply train and fight, and allow the financial side of things to be handled. some guys dont even speak the language in which their bank statements show up in the mail, etc. they just dont think about it. often, these guys get screwed intentionally

even if a fighter's handlers are on the up and up (which is certainly not always the case,) they've often got their hangers-on, who dont understand at all the concept of money, and don't really care to becuase it belongs to somebody else. they're not trying to bankrupt the fighter, but they dont keep his finances in mind and say "wow, this must really be costing him a lot of money,"

a perfect example is chad dawson's greedy brother, who recently went to the media and ousted chad for "not giving back" to his family. chad dawson does not make the type of money where he can be supporting his entire family. not yet, anyway. that will drain his bank.

lamar odom, a popular basketball player with a reality TV show, used to pay rent for 20 people. that's a rough comparison, given that odom is a star basketball player and gets a lot more money than most boxers, but you get an idea of the amount of financial support these guys give out.

they're not all gambling it away. some of it is leeched off by the people around them.

now, all of that being said, if you're a highly paid athlete you cant be having a gazillion children with a bunch of different women. his child support bills alone are probably enough to make your head spin.

if you make brandon rios money, you cant drive a bentley. sorry, bam bam, but you arent going to make that much more in your short career than your average professional.

on the one hand, you feel for these guys. they've got the mind of a child in many ways. they dont understand.
      on the other hand, they should. they're making a lot of money very quickly, and they wont have that opportunity forever. they need to be responsible with it.

i'd love to see a program brought about that gives fighters who need it lifelong health insurance. it's basically an impossible undertaking, given that boxing has no national governing body, but i'd love to see it happen in my lifetime.

Comment

The man lost a fortune If like 400 mil in a span something like 10 years

Hard to feel sorry. His great great great grand children should have been set for life

Comment

I don't feel sad for him, he made more than 300 million in his career so if he's broke it's his own damn fault.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            on the one hand i can see where people are coming from with this sort of logic. everyday people work tirelessly to see a tiny fraction of what these guys make, and they blow it all away.

on the other hand, it's become very obvious over the years that boxers are very naive when it comes to money. they dont really understand it. during their careers most fighters simply train and fight, and allow the financial side of things to be handled. some guys dont even speak the language in which their bank statements show up in the mail, etc. they just dont think about it. often, these guys get screwed intentionally

even if a fighter's handlers are on the up and up (which is certainly not always the case,) they've often got their hangers-on, who dont understand at all the concept of money, and don't really care to becuase it belongs to somebody else. they're not trying to bankrupt the fighter, but they dont keep his finances in mind and say "wow, this must really be costing him a lot of money,"

a perfect example is chad dawson's greedy brother, who recently went to the media and ousted chad for "not giving back" to his family. chad dawson does not make the type of money where he can be supporting his entire family. not yet, anyway. that will drain his bank.

lamar odom, a popular basketball player with a reality TV show, used to pay rent for 20 people. that's a rough comparison, given that odom is a star basketball player and gets a lot more money than most boxers, but you get an idea of the amount of financial support these guys give out.

they're not all gambling it away. some of it is leeched off by the people around them.

now, all of that being said, if you're a highly paid athlete you cant be having a gazillion children with a bunch of different women. his child support bills alone are probably enough to make your head spin.

if you make brandon rios money, you cant drive a bentley. sorry, bam bam, but you arent going to make that much more in your short career than your average professional.

on the one hand, you feel for these guys. they've got the mind of a child in many ways. they dont understand.
            on the other hand, they should. they're making a lot of money very quickly, and they wont have that opportunity forever. they need to be responsible with it.

i'd love to see a program brought about that gives fighters who need it lifelong health insurance. it's basically an impossible undertaking, given that boxing has no national governing body, but i'd love to see it happen in my lifetime.
            I second that.

Comment

no sympathy really ............................. he lived the good life for a while now hes back were he belongs ..................................... in the gutter !!

some familys are generation after generation poor for a good reason ........................ there dummy's !

most have low intelligence to blow all that money come on lol

Comment

If he was smart, he would take all his baby mommas back to court to have his child support payments re-adjusted. He no longer has the income to pay them the lavish rewards the courts gave them earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Allucard View Post
                  I second that.
                  It is true because a fighters income is never a truly long term income. Most fighters though treat it as such. They start making good money, so they want to show it off. They go on a giant spending and giving spree because at the time, life is good. Then they start hitting the skids, income declines rapidly, then they have a thousand hands coming at them looking for money.

It is a sad story, but way too common, and not only confined to sports stars. Music artists, actors etc have faced the same fate time and time again.

Comment

You know. These guys could have it easy. After a big paycheck if they followed a couple guidelines, they could have money for life. They could go out and buy a rental property or two after each fight instead of a Bentley. Keep away from borrowing and invest in their future. It would be easy for them, if they only planned ahead.

Comment

I could be wrong but, shouldn't most of his children be considered legal adults by now?

Comment

Working...
                      X