No announcement yet.

Bigger Upset?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Upset?

do you think ali's first win of the title in 1964 or the second win in 1974 was more of an upset?
    Clay-Liston I
    29.41%
    Ali-Foreman
    70.59%

The poll is expired.

foreman fight really made him 'the greatest' because of the upset

Comment

The George Foreman fight.

Comment

Foreman was about 24 years old and in his prime. Liston was middle aged.

Comment

the foreman fight, ali was aging and foreman was in his prime or VERY close to it.

that fight was just sheer greatness for ali, because he fooled so many people even his wife,never thought he'd win.

Comment

I had to go with Clay v Liston I. 7 to 1 underdog. Very few opponents on his record of note. Already dropped by Cooper. Nobody gave Clay much of a chance in this one.

Comment

Liston had never really showed any problems or threats to Ali. Foreman had destroyed Norton and Frazier, the only 2 people who had beaten Ali at the time.

The only reason the odds were bigger against Liston was because he was pretty much unheard of at the time, while against Foreman, he was already a legend and people knew he was an amazing boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydog
                Liston had never really showed any problems or threats to Ali. Foreman had destroyed Norton and Frazier, the only 2 people who had beaten Ali at the time.

The only reason the odds were bigger against Liston was because he was pretty much unheard of at the time, while against Foreman, he was already a legend and people knew he was an amazing boxer.
                THAT RIGHT FORMEN DESTORYED THE TWO MAN TO BEAT HIM WITH OUT BREAKING A SWEET

Comment

i believe foreman was the bigger upset. with liston, clay was a promising young upstart, fighting a deadly, punishing champion. however in zaire, ali was an aging champion that was gonna go after the title one more time aagainstan even more deadlier puncher in foreman who was young and in his prime. many people though liston was going to really hurt clay, but a lot of people thought foreman was going to kill ali, i mean literally end his life. this was ali's climax of his career.

Comment

Well, throughout the entire Liston-Clay fight, Clay in the corner was controlling the fight and making a fool out of Liston.

In the Foreman, after the first 2 rounds, Ali said "My god, this guy is a wrecking machine," and changed his strategy to the rope-a-dope.

That should sum it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X