Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amateur vs Professional - Does Skill in one Translate to the Other?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
    What u also have to realize is that amateur success translating to professional success also depends in a BIG way on who u sign with and who the matchmaker is...take two kids, one an olympic gold medal winner and the other just a local kid...have them both fight and beat the same 20 guys in the EXACT same fashion. OK, well, the guy with the solid promoter is going to be ranked # 8 in the world afterwards and the other kid is going to be # 44...same opponents, same win/loss ratio, etc...one gets rewarded, the other doesnt...one gets opportunities based on it, the other does not...
    Very good explanation..green k..

Comment

It is a COMMON myth that amateur boxing is this soft and safe sport...the headgear limits CUTS, not actual equlibriem (sp??) damage so much..some of the best KO's I have ever seen have come either in amateur fights or the gym with headgear on...also. the gloves ARE NOT HUGE LOL I dont know who told someone that and they ran with it but amateurs fight in 10 or 12 ounce ounce gloves depending on the weight class, same as pro fights (Ive fought in 12's as a pro a coule times)...you should definitely not make the mistake of thinking punches in amateur boxing are soft and weak...anyone going to a gym and putting on 12 ounce amateur fight gloves will NOT wish to get hit with them, I can assure you of this.
      Thank for your post....

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Cuban View Post
        Thank for your post....
        Hey, Angry, because of ur screen name and ur location (Hialiah) I am going to post a photo for you in a new thread in a minute...Ill send u the link...see if u can guess the guy in it...YOU'LL LIKE IT...

Comment

What u also have to realize is that amateur success translating to professional success also depends in a BIG way on who u sign with and who the matchmaker is...take two kids, one an olympic gold medal winner and the other just a local kid...have them both fight and beat the same 20 guys in the EXACT same fashion. OK, well, the guy with the solid promoter is going to be ranked # 8 in the world afterwards and the other kid is going to be # 44...same opponents, same win/loss ratio, etc...one gets rewarded, the other doesnt...one gets opportunities based on it, the other does not...
          ray leonard>aaron pryor

Comment

Bumping this thread, cause this fight is no longer Hypothetical.

Comment

bumping again because this was pretty much the reasoning behind my prediction for the Donaire/Rigo fight.

Comment

Well I mean compare these two:

Rigondeaux
                Audley Harrison

Sometimes an amateur pedigree is good, but sometimes it can harm you. Amir Khan is a good example

Maybe for the case of Rigondeaux, it's just his natural skill as a fighter, amateur or not

Comment

Originally posted by techliam
                  Well I mean compare these two:

Rigondeaux
                  Audley Harrison

Sometimes an amateur pedigree is good, but sometimes it can harm you. Amir Khan is a good example

Maybe for the case of Rigondeaux, it's just his natural skill as a fighter, amateur or not
                  Like I said in another thread, it depends on the fighter. When you try to dismiss someone as skilled as Rigo cause he's an "amateur" its dumb.

The example I used was Zou Shiming, 2 time gold medalist but when you look at his "skillset" do you really think he's gonna make it in the pros? Regardless of age or not.

Amir Khan too, very successful amateur but he can't use his tools for **** so he gets ****ted on. I'm a fan but still, its the truth.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                  X