Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a Cotto win over Margarito at this point even matter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a Cotto win over Margarito at this point even matter?

Think about it. Tony's eyes is obviously not right. So i see it playing out like this. Cotto will outbox him and damage the eye causing it to swell and the fight gets stopped. However, what does that do for Cotto? Had he been the one to mess up the eye and win then its a huge FU to Tony but he wasnt.
    Really how much does this win do for Cotto? My opinion is not much.

Im not a huge fan of either. In the first fight I was actually going for Cotto.

Now if Tony's eye isnt a factor and he has minimal swelling and gets beat then we can say FU to Tony and congrats to Cotto I just dont see his eye holding up at all.

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
    Think about it. Tony's eyes is obviously not right. So i see it playing out like this. Cotto will outbox him and damage the eye causing it to swell and the fight gets stopped. However, what does that do for Cotto? Had he been the one to mess up the eye and win then its a huge FU to Tony but he wasnt.
    Really how much does this win do for Cotto? My opinion is not much.

Im not a huge fan of either. In the first fight I was actually going for Cotto.

Now if Tony's eye isnt a factor and he has minimal swelling and gets beat then we can say FU to Tony and congrats to Cotto I just dont see his eye holding up at all.
    It matters. Would a victory for Durán, in Duran/Leonard III, have mattered? I think so.

Plus in the minds of many people this will be the trial regarding Margo's plaster issue. Cotto wins, he used plaster. Margo wins, he didn't. This is not how I feel about the issue, but that's how many people will probably see it.

Boxing history wise, I do think it matters.

Comment

For his career, it's a chance to avenge one of his two losses.

Second, it's a grudge rematch. Nothing more, nothing less.

Third, in regards to relevancy at 154, it doesn't mean much (if any at all). It's not like Cotto or Margarito are going to be around 2-3 more years after they're done with each other. Alvarez, Kirkland, Lara, Angulo all have better shots at carrying the division more so than Cotto or Margarito because I STILL don't think Cotto can hang with a FULL-FLEDGED 154 pounder in his prime.

You put him in there with someone like Kirkland, it'll be Apollo Creed vs. Ivan Drago II...

...but I wish him the best if he decides to give it a shot.
      Last edited by TintaBoricua; 11-30-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

hell yea it matters,this man beat him to his knees,,,props to cotto for seeking revenge...

Comment

yo, it couldn't matter more as to who the victor of this fight is.

yes, they're not pac / mayweather greats but they are greats of this time.

this fight is ****en huge make no mistake about it.

Comment

Doesn't matter? It's probably the most important match of his career. It's redemption, add to the fact that Cotto believes Margarito had illegal handwraps in the first fight so he knows he must make a statement in this fight. It was a horrendous beating and it would be a good win for Cotto. Margarito's eye is fine, he was cleared so if there was any chance of him going blind or irreparable damage directly due injury they wouldn't have cleared him. It's been repaired. Who knows though, Arum would trade 2 of Margarito's eye for 100 K.

Comment

did a mayweather victory over de la hoya matter?
              did pacquiao's 3rd victory over marquez matter?
              did mayweather's victory over baldomir matter?

Comment

Originally posted by krimzon View Post
                did a mayweather victory over de la hoya matter?
                did pacquiao's 3rd victory over marquez matter?
                did mayweather's victory over baldomir matter?
                no no and no
                hahhaha

Comment

If the fight is stopped because tony's eye closes how can cotto take pride in that if it was already damaged?
                  All Im asking I guess is that how much does a stoppage due to the eye affect the win for Cotto?
                  I know this is a huge fight and all and I do know it matters but to me Ton's eye being messed up tarnishes the win for Cotto.
                  Like I said before if the eye isnt a problem and cotto puts a hurt on Margs then fukn A for Cotto
                  but I cant see that eye lasting more than 3-4 rounds
                  GOd I hope Im wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
                    If the fight is stopped because tony's eye closes how can cotto take pride in that if it was already damaged?
                    All Im asking I guess is that how much does a stoppage due to the eye affect the win for Cotto?
                    I know this is a huge fight and all and I do know it matters but to me Ton's eye being messed up tarnishes the win for Cotto.
                    Like I said before if the eye isnt a problem and cotto puts a hurt on Margs then fukn A for Cotto
                    but I cant see that eye lasting more than 3-4 rounds
                    GOd I hope Im wrong!
                    I can see the eye lasting, keep in mind Delahoya gave Fernando Vargas the same type of injury and he was able to come back and give Mosley a tuff fight in the first fight...

Comment

Working...
                    X