Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Robinson - Randy Turpin II. Premature stoppage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinson - Randy Turpin II. Premature stoppage?

Some time before this fight referee Ruby Goldstein had been critisized for halting a fight to late resulting in a ring fatality.

The saying is that this prompted him to stop Turpin to early in his rematch with Sugar Ray.

Here it is. What are your thoughts by todays standards?

I think it was a fair stoppage

Comment

I think it was a fair stoppage, I think you need to forget SRR's cut like you need to forget that Lyle was winning against Ali when that was stopped. The referee has to look and decide whether the fighter is defending himself on both occassions both Turpin and Lyle was taking numerous punches without reply

Comment

I would say it was a fair stoppage.

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        Some time before this fight referee Ruby Goldstein had been critisized for halting a fight to late resulting in a ring fatality.
        If I'm not mistaken the fight was Emile Griffith and Benny Paret 3 ?, the reason it was a late stoppage was because Griffith had a (false) reputation as a cushion puncher and Benny Paret had a reputation for faking injuries.
        Neither Robinson or Turpin had a reputation of this sort.

Comment

It was a perfect stoppage in my opinion. Turpin was flattened by a right hand, but managed to get up and was allowed to continue as a champion should be. Robinson kept pouring it on, landing some and missing some, until having Turpin defenseless against the ropes with a combination of rights to the body and left hooks to the head.

Comment

It was a brutal stoppage - just because he stayed on his feet against the ropes doesn't mean he wasn't finished. No issues with the call.

Comment

Good stoppage.

Turpin was finished.If the fight would have continued he would have went down in a matter of seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                I would say it was a fair stoppage.

If I'm not mistaken the fight was Emile Griffith and Benny Paret 3 ?, the reason it was a late stoppage was because Griffith had a (false) reputation as a cushion puncher and Benny Paret had a reputation for faking injuries.
                Neither Robinson or Turpin had a reputation of this sort.
                Indeed it was Griffith-Paret. I wouldn't have thought Goldstein would have reffed that fight but he DID referee an awful lot of fights.

Looking at Robinson-Turpin today, the stoppage seems right and definetely not to early. Turpin takes and awful lot of punches without firing anything back. It says a lot about the evolution of the publics bloodthirst that the stoppage at the time seemed premature.

Comment

Nothing premature at all, the knockdown was heavy, not one returned blow from Turpin in the follow up. Look at how he sagged after the last combination!

Comment

Good stoppage

Comment

Working...
                    X