No announcement yet.

Running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

All of people say that to be a good boxer you have to run a lot, but i dont want to run outside because its been getting cold here and there isn't anywhere to run like the streets are busy, so i've been looking forward to getting a treadmill or eliptical, etc. Which would be the best alternative to running and be the best for a boxer

Streets shouldn't be busy at 5:00 in the morning. If it's cold, put on a scarf. :-)

Comment

personally, i've tried to replace it (i hate running so goddamn much) but you cant. stationary bike, swimming etc is good but it does not replace running. treadmill is fine if you can run on one, but make sure you can before you shell out for one, their expensive. i cant stand the damn things, boring and it feels strange compared to running on roads. Have you tried wrapping up nice and warm and running in the early morning when theres less people around?

Comment

I think you need to pinpoint exactly what you're trying to achieve from your running. If its cardiovascular endurance, replacing your running with swimming is a good idea, and I've always felt that a hard swim works my body more (all-around, even just the cardiovascular system) than does a hard run. There will be tons of people on here that will disagree with me, but this is just my personal opinion.

Again, running cannot be completely replaced, and should be part of your training regime. However, if you absolutely cannot go running, swimming is probably your best bet to maintain cardiovascular endurance.

To me, I think the whole thing with roadwork is more a psychological factor in the sense that people just see it as always being a part of a boxer's regime, and thus feel that there is absolutely no equal. I know for sure that there are boxers that don't run and have good cardiovascular endurance from swimming, using the row machine, cycling, etc.

I have a problem with my legs that physically prevents me from sprinting, and from running for too long. So, while I still try to run as much as my legs allow me, I swim on a consistent basis, and probably have some of the best cardiovascular stamina out of anyone in my gym.

Comment

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
          I think you need to pinpoint exactly what you're trying to achieve from your running. If its cardiovascular endurance, replacing your running with swimming is a good idea, and I've always felt that a hard swim works my body more (all-around, even just the cardiovascular system) than does a hard run. There will be tons of people on here that will disagree with me, but this is just my personal opinion.

Again, running cannot be completely replaced, and should be part of your training regime. However, if you absolutely cannot go running, swimming is probably your best bet to maintain cardiovascular endurance.

To me, I think the whole thing with roadwork is more a psychological factor in the sense that people just see it as always being a part of a boxer's regime, and thus feel that there is absolutely no equal. I know for sure that there are boxers that don't run and have good cardiovascular endurance from swimming, using the row machine, cycling, etc.

I have a problem with my legs that physically prevents me from sprinting, and from running for too long. So, while I still try to run as much as my legs allow me, I swim on a consistent basis, and probably have some of the best cardiovascular stamina out of anyone in my gym.
          That's a very good point! Running is the traditional cardiovascular workout for boxers, but running is hard on the knees and ankles - especially when done on the streets - and swimming is a superior exercise. Maybe more consideration should be given to regular swimming as a way of getting in shape for boxers.

Comment

when its cold even better! run! self discpline don't be a *****!

Comment

Wear a coat.

Comment

I hate the cold too. Wear some Skins or running bottoms underneath a sauna suit, a sports jacket on top of that, a scarf and a beanie hat. Sometimes when it hits zero, I even run in a balaclava. The ones that cover your head and leave your eyes and nose, not the rapist ones with holes in them! Treadmill is a shortcut that will never be as good. It does help bums get going who can't make themselves run but even then you need to graduate to the road.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
                  Sometimes when it hits zero, I even run in a balaclava. The ones that cover your head and leave your eyes and nose, not the rapist ones with holes in them!
                  I love those things. I didn't know I was a rapist though. I might need to do something about they eh?

Comment

Trust me, if you wear one of the rapist mask balaclavas you will get arrested or even shot. Go for the one in middle:

One on right is only for rapists and murderers, or swat teams in countries ran by G's.

Back to the topic, all I can say is if you want to take shortcuts and make excuses then prepare to live with the consequences. That's what i say to all bums who ask me for avice in gym. They want it both ways. You can't get fit without doing the hardwork! If you want to take it easy and have a cuppa on eliptical bollocks, then b happy with your big gross belly.

Comment

Working...
                    X