No announcement yet.

Changing stances

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing stances

How many people here practice both orthodox and southpaw stances?

I am currently trying to develop my skills in southpaw stance. I am actually left handed but was taught orthodox from when young. The result has been that a have an effective and strong left jab that I can keep shooting outwithout too much fatigue. My right hand gets its power mostly from leverage so its something I want to improve. It feels a bit uncomfortable jabbing with the right in Southpaw stance though, and it tires really quick, feel the burn just below the shoulder really fast.

My goal is to increase power and control of the right hand. I feel that if I can jab as hard and consistent with my right as well as my left it can only improve my game.
    anyone else have experience in doing this?

I understand the theory behind it, but personally i don't. Whether it is a good idea is soley up to the boxer i think. But it's a gamble, because if your opponent knows how to fight a southpaw, you might be set up.

Only with boxing i stay in once stance. But if i'm using my legs as well, i switch depending on what technique i'm going to throw.

Comment

Im a natural orthodox but switched to southpaw because I like my right hand to do the most work. When I switch to orthodox, i become a mid-close range power puncher but when im southpaw I use my speed and footwork. I use both equally well and they both carry finishing power.

I like broken rythm, so my opponent can never get a feel for it.

Comment

I occasionally mix my stances up only when I'm hitting the bags or double-end bag. I've noticed a marked improvement in the speed and snap of my right hand because of it.

Comment

most trainers will tell u to pick a stance and not deviate because most ppl can't fite both properly and get hurt. same reason why most trainers don't preach the philly shell/hitman stance, cos every1 thinks it looks cool but u need a lot of ability to make it work.

i used to train at two gyms, at one i trained ortho, the other southpaw (its a bit extreme but i'm pretty intense). its important to learn the fundamentals of each before u mix them up. just like with any sport, when u start out there r always things u absolutely don't do (in hockey, u never pass the puck in front of ur net). but after u learn enough, ur able to break the "rules" because u know theres a time and a place. there are pros and cons to each so i choose depending on who i'm fighting.

Comment

Working...
          X