Jones vs. Sonnen set for April

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheNegation View Post
    I do understand what you're saying.

I'm just citing that they've been participating in Reality TV for quite a while now as an example of selling out. You saying they've officially sold out is kinda stupid, because really they sold out a long time ago when they decided to do TUF.

Secondly TV show or Main Event fight, the point remains that the UFC is a business and businesses are about making money. Chael as undeserving as he is, will make more money that a Hendo, Gustaffson or a rematch with anybody Jones has already beaten. It's not like they have a whole lot of options and Gustaffson still doesn't have enough hype behind him or big wins to quantify getting in the ring with Jones yet.

It's not like Chael is a complete scrub either. I've never seen the guy shy away from contact or completely disengage from a fight. He's not a guy who is going to get in the ring and just stand around like Belfort or run away when he gets hit. He'll make it a fight for as long as he can, I think he has a decent shot.

Plus the foundation of hype for this fight has already been laid out for a couple months now. I don't know why the UFC would go another direction.
    The reality tv show is not the reason they sold out, it's the fact that they give one of the most important title shots in the sport against a completely undeserving clown just because of his mouth. Again, I don't care about TUF. Their fight is set in what, half a year? That is a lot of time that a REAL challenger could have taken to prepare.

Also, the points you made about the hype having been set already and so on, there's some irony there: Henderson's fight against Jones had been hyped for real for months, much much more than Sonnen. Not only that but a Hendo vs Jones fight would do just fine in numbers. Besides those two points, lets not forget the most important aspect: Nobody right now deserves it more than Henderson, and that scumbag Phael is the last person on the planet who deserves it.

And come on, Sonny has no chance in hell. "decent shot"? not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
      The reality tv show is not the reason they sold out, it's the fact that they give one of the most important title shots in the sport against a completely undeserving clown just because of his mouth.
      That's precisely my point. They keep TUF going because it generated revenue, why would you ever put it past the UFC to do the same thing in anything else they do?

Also, the points you made about the hype having been set already and so on, there's some irony there: Henderson's fight against Jones had been hyped for real for months much much more than Sonnen.
      Good Point. But Sonnen can generate more. In fact he probably generated more hype and support for this fight over the course of 3 days when 151 got canned, than the UFC was able to generate with Henderson over 3 months.

Not only that but a Hendo vs Jones fight would do just fine in numbers. Besides those two points, lets not forget the most important aspect: Nobody right now deserves it more than Henderson, and that scumbag Phael is the last person on the planet who deserves it.
      No argument there, Dan is more deserving. But giving fights to undeserving fighters isn't exactly uncommon in the UFC. Edgar/Bendo for example.

Jon Fitch had been well deserving of a rematch with GSP, but for political and economical reasons, he didn't get it.

So once again, you can't be surprised by this and saying the "officially sold out" because of this incident isn't quite rational since this has happened before.

And come on, Sonny has no chance in hell. "decent shot"? not even close.
      You can't count anybody out. Jones while very talented is still rather raw as a fighter, he's not Anderson by any stretch. He makes far more mistakes and poor decisions in fights than someone like Anderson.

Sonnen does have a chance. Not a great one. But he does have one. A hyper aggressive wrestler with strong top control, solid boxing and a great chin. I think he can definitely make it a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by CHOWWOKKA View Post
        Because there is a GIMUNGUS gap between LHW and HW?
        because jones isn't 6'3 with an 84 in reach and 230+ naturally.... oh wait.

jon 1 month ago: what does a sonnen fight do for my career? it's lose, lose.

**1 1/2 months later....

jones vs sonnen.

WHAT A F@G!!!
        Last edited by F l i c k e r; 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

whats wrong with some of you people..few weeks ago you were calling jones a coward for ducking sonnen now that the fight is gonna be made you people still riding on him..

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
            A hater here said Jones is scared of Sonnen when Bones refused to fight him because of a laughable reason.

The same hater said its a joke of a fight for fighting blown up MW when Jones' finally going to fight the loudmouthed Sonnen.

LMAO.
            Jones ducked Sonnen like he ducked Rashad. This isn't up for debate. He had absolutly no reason not to fight Sonnen at UFC 151. He had already had a full training camp, Sonnen had none. So now he's butthurt because everyone said he was scared so he wants to save face and fight him now. Where did I say it was a joke? I just said that Bones needs to stop fighting puffy middleweights. Let me guess what fight they're gonna make after this one. Jones vs. Hughes! Maybe Jones vs. Penn! Oh I know, Jones vs. Serra! There is not one good reason he couldn't have or shouldn't have fought Chael 2 months ago...

Comment

The only good thing about this fight is that it will sell. Chael is a draw, he get's people interested. He'll probably put up a better fight than he would've if they fought at 151, but Chael's gonna get a beating...

Comment

Originally posted by Bacatit View Post
                Don't you realize fans like you are the reason why Dana can pull a fight like this off ?
                If you weren't such a damn hater nobody would have ever considered Chael a threat to Jones but guys like you stayed beating the war drum now Hendo's out and Sonnen's in...dumb ass !!!

This way you get to eat your words about Jones ducking anybody and after he beats Sonnen you can talk about how Jones sucks and beat up on a MW.

You can't be older than 16.

I always knew Jones would beat Sonnen, Dana can pull this off in spite of fans like me. I wanted them to fight at 151 to save the card, and not let the other guys who spent the last 2 months putting their lives on hold training to be able to collect their paychecks, and the truth is, Sonnen is probably one of the only dude that can sell a fight in 8 days. You can't give one good reason why Jones didn't take that fight. Jones ducked him, plain and simple, just like he ducked Rashad for so long. It's the Greg Jackson way...

I'm much older than 16, and I've forgotten more about this sport than you'll ever hope to know...

Comment

I don't mind this fight simply cuz TUF is gonna be entertaining. I have only watched 2 tuf seasons(1st one and the one with Rampage-Rashad) and I'm definitely gonna be tuning into this one.

The only problem I have is that Dana keeps saying that he gave it to Chael cuz he was the only one that stepped up and said he wanted to fight Jones. And when asked about Hendo, he said some bs that Hendo is injured. Lol. Jones is also injured yet they expect him to be ok in 7 months.

Dana should just say it like it is, this fight is for ratings. Nothing wrong with that IMO only if they go back to giving the real contenders the title shot after that.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
                    I don't mind this fight simply cuz TUF is gonna be entertaining. I have only watched 2 tuf seasons(1st one and the one with Rampage-Rashad) and I'm definitely gonna be tuning into this one.

The only problem I have is that Dana keeps saying that he gave it to Chael cuz he was the only one that stepped up and said he wanted to fight Jones. And when asked about Hendo, he said some bs that Hendo is injured. Lol. Jones is also injured yet they expect him to be ok in 7 months.

Dana should just say it like it is, this fight is for ratings. Nothing wrong with that IMO only if they go back to giving the real contenders the title shot after that.
                    Jones is out until April because of his strained arm, Hendo was ready to go in Feb. That's what I've read anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by led* View Post
                      A hater here said Jones is scared of Sonnen when Bones refused to fight him because of a laughable reason.

The same hater said its a joke of a fight for fighting blown up MW when Jones' finally going to fight the loudmouthed Sonnen.

LMAO.
                      Not sure who/what it is you're talking about precisely, but it might have had something to do with the fact that a card ended up being cancelled over Jones not fighting Sonnen in one week's notice and instead insisting on 3 weeks (I always maintained that a fightcard cancellation can't really be blamed entirely on a fighter, and a lot of responsibility lays with the promoters. They probably could have thrown enough money at Jones to take the fight.) In this case, the fight is being booked 6 months in advance.

Comment

Working...
                      X