Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chin Debate. Does Knock downs count towards your chin ratings? I think KD'S do.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends, for instance when Cotto scored a flash KD on Clottey I didn't consider Clottey to have a glass chin, it just happened.

Comment

Fighters that get knocked down alot usually end up getting knocked out.
      Floyd Patterson, Amir Khan, Roger Mayweather, Wladimir etc
      it is usually a sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Aztec Wanker View Post
        IMO, they do if you get hurt. Some KDs can be a result of bad balance/flash kds and dont necessarily mean a fighter has a bad chin.
        This^^^^^^

Comment

Yes they do.

Marquez doesn't have a great chin, but his ability to recover from a KD is amazing.

Watch Pac-Marquez series, Marquez vs Babybull, Marquez vs Katsidis.

Babybull and Katsidis are not known for their punching power, but they managed to make Marquez hit the canvas.

Amir Khan has a glass chin. If he gets badly hurt or goes down at any point in the fight he's not coming back.

It's not just about chin though. A lot of it is mental fortitude.

And before you bring up Pacquaio, Pac has a GREAT chin. It's just that ANYBODY can get KO'd from a great punch they didn't see.
          Last edited by ThePunchingBag; 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
            Flash KD'S probably shouldn't count towards chin.

but JMM was hurt a lot of times he was dropped. so saying that it's all flash kds in regards to him is false.

SERGIO and TITO have a lot of flash kd's that being sad.. Sergio was seriously hurt against Jr. and Tito looked to be hurt against Vargas..
            Tito was fine against Vargas. The talk of him being hurt and having to throw a low blow to recover is one of the more ridiculous theories that still gets floated around. He got tagged, dropped, rose and was ready to go. Legs weren't off or anything. I'd say he was more hurt by Obar Carr and the one time I saw Tito hurt prior to Hopkins was against Alberto Cortes, I believe, who had him wobbled and down in the first or second.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
              No, because many times getting knocked down means you just were caught off balance and has nothing to do with your ability to take a shot.

Trinidad got knocked down most of the time that way.
              This.

They count even less when the guy gets knockdown, gets up and fights better than before to eventually knock the other guy out.

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              How about a guy like JMM, he's been KD many times while really hurt

Its not as black and white as most make it out to be
              JMM is another example, been knocked down MANY times and recovers, and fights on like nothing ever happened. I think the last time his lights were completely out for a split second, was the left hook from Katsidis.

Comment

Originally posted by Skittlez View Post
                I hear some people say 'oh JMM and Tito' are fine, because when they get knocked down, they get up.

I disagree.. They do get up, but that still means their chins are not that good. Not glass obviously, but I say average.

The Bottom Line is

IF YOU GET KNOCKED DOWN THAT = -1 Point towards your overall chin ratings in my opinion.

It doesn't matter even if you never get knocked out... if you get knocked down like 40 times... you have a weak chin. You just got good recovery power..
                What about flash kds?

Comment

Boxers think so much different than fans. Juan Marquez is proof of this. He's been put down, but never out. Are you going to tell me that Marquez has an average chin considering who he's been hit by and who has put him down. He's taken punches from Pac, Norwood, Juarez, Barrera, Diaz, and Katsidis.

Comment

Balance, chin, the shot that landed and numerous other things need to be considered. Likewise a fighter that never goes down may never go down because they have a great chin (McCall) or because they are defensively amazing.

Comment

It also depends on who is knocking down who.

Frazier, for instance, hit the canvas numerous times against Foreman.

Still, I wouldn't call his chin weak.

Of course there are also Kd's caused by a lack of balance more than a lack of chin. Some by lack of ring IQ. It really depends.

Comment

Working...
                      X