No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison Versus Mike Tyson compare and contrast

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Morrison was a product of the ages: Guys like Robinson had women, wine and song, yet managed to stay on the rails...was it because they fought more? I don't know.

Morrison just stopped doing the things that made him win fights properly at a certain point.
    He also was a drug cheat.

Tyson did admit to taking cocaine and smoking the mary jane, but we all KNOW T. Morrison was on steroids. That right there should put him in the asterisk category at best, the irrelevant category most likely, and the scumbag category at worst.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      I think in that fight he was just legit scared of Foreman and didn't want to get hit. At least that is the way he fought that night.

I can't remember if it was his manager or brother who said Morrison even said himself that he was terrified of Foreman's power.

Tommy was the white Erislandy Lara that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
        I can't remember if it was his manager or brother who said Morrison even said himself that he was terrified of Foreman's power.

All he needed was the Watson twins walking him to the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
          He also was a drug cheat.

Tyson did admit to taking cocaine and smoking the mary jane, but we all KNOW T. Morrison was on steroids. That right there should put him in the asterisk category at best, the irrelevant category most likely, and the scumbag category at worst.
          We don't know who took what, especially at that time. Actually if one looks historically from the sixties we have cocaine binges, and other recreational drug use in all professional sports.

During the 80's and 90's steriod use became rampant. Many athletes indulged. I would not single out Morrison and besides that much of his best work was done coming up when he was not obviously roided up. He always had a physique like a statue.

In my opinion one cannot single out one guy for what many guys were doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post

So... your a professional fighter, at the peak of your capacity, ready to challenge Achilles himself, when you are informed that your next opponent is a 50 something year old man, who is fat, and immanently capable of not beating you...but leaving you laid out like a two dollar whore on main street after calling her pimp ugly. you kind of think it through..."Hummm? Not much upside here, I mean if you beat a fat old dude..but wait a minute!! this old dude is gigantic!! you can't hook him to the body, good luck getting there, through the fat, through the guard, and the old dude's head? You have to take the Staten Island Ferry to get near it! crossing two massive pistons, a body that is unhittable...

Morrison was quite right in seeing that this fight was terrifying. Juggernaught speaks to this well, I believe he maintains that old George was more dangerous than original George. From a certain perspective this holds true.

My point is that I would not want to be facing Big George. You can hit him all night and not make a dent and when you lose its awful! and when you win? you ran from an old guy all night!!!!

Comment

So... your a professional fighter, at the peak of your capacity, ready to challenge Achilles himself, when you are informed that your next opponent is a 50 something year old man, who is fat, and immanently capable of not beating you...but leaving you laid out like a two dollar whore on main street after calling her pimp ugly. you kind of think it through..."Hummm? Not much upside here, I mean if you beat a fat old dude..but wait a minute!! this old dude is gigantic!! you can't hook him to the body, good luck getting there, through the fat, through the guard, and the old dude's head? You have to take the Staten Island Ferry to get near it! crossing two massive pistons, a body that is unhittable...

Morrison was quite right in seeing that this fight was terrifying. Juggernaught speaks to this well, I believe he maintains that old George was more dangerous than original George. From a certain perspective this holds true.

My point is that I would not want to be facing Big George. You can hit him all night and not make a dent and when you lose its awful! and when you win? you ran from an old guy all night!!!!
              Ran from an old guy aka you fought smart and didn't get hit much, which is kind of the objective, hit and not get hit. Holyfield might have gotten crap for not fighting Ruddock, but at least he can't be accused of running in his fight against Foreman. I don't fault Morrison for how he fought Foreman. He should have fought that way more often, with his chin and weak defense, but probably figured he could knock out his opponent first.

Comment

My point is that I would not want to be facing Big George. You can hit him all night and not make a dent and when you lose its awful! and when you wtin? you ran from an old guy all night!!!!
                True, Morrison didn't have a chin like Holyfield had to stand toe to toe with Big George. I don't blame him for fighting cautiously, but I do recall him literally turning his back and running away from George like he stole his grill.

Morrison also isn't known to be a defensive guru and he had to do what he had to win within his abilities, but he still ran from an old man lol. Morrison had many toe to toe wars afterwards, like that battle with Ruddock which was one of my favorite fights.

And at least Morrison got a good payday and win over a legend.

Comment

--- Tacticly, George of course had not trained for a runner, he trained for a slugger.

Guaranteed if you transposed Ali's form on Tommy for an identical fight, Ali fans would be creaming over his ring genius.

And guaranteed Ali and Field would have had healthier careers and lives had they chosen to run. There's a distinct downturn in their careers after George beat em up.

Comment

We don't know who took what, especially at that time. Actually if one looks historically from the sixties we have cocaine binges, and other recreational drug use in all professional sports.

During the 80's and 90's steriod use became rampant. Many athletes indulged. I would not single out Morrison and besides that much of his best work was done coming up when he was not obviously roided up. He always had a physique like a statue.

In my opinion one cannot single out one guy for what many guys were doing.
                    That's true. And I definitely see what you're saying. I was just making it clear that T. Morrison definitely was using. He admitted it.

Tommy ''The Duke'' Morrison Speaks Out on Steroids in Boxing
                    SN: Tommy, you have always been very open about the fact that during much of your professional boxing career, you used steroids. Can you tell us when you started using them?

I can tell you when, but I won't say how (laughs). Actually, I got into them a little bit in high school, but it was more in the pills, the oral stuff. The injections and stuff wasn't until later. As far as my professional career, probably around 1991. I used them not while I was training, but in between bouts. I just want to make sure that is clear.

SN: In his book "Juiced," Jose Canseco reveals that he doesn't believe that he would have even made it to the major leagues without the benefit of steroids. How far do you think you would have gone in professional boxing without them?

I wouldn't have gone as far as I did, I guarantee you that. I probably would have fought as a cruiserweight. When I was in training, if I didn't have that extra fifteen to twenty pounds, I would have fought there. I always had the power and the speed, I just needed the endurance, which was my problem.

SN: Did you ever feel like you were cheating by using steroids?

Hell no. I thought I was doing myself and my family a service. I was making myself a bigger and stronger person, and I loved it. It made me feel like in the morning when I got out of bed I wanted to tear down the wall. I was snorting like a bull, walking around the house. I wanted to bang everything that moved. (Laughs)
                    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/ZQBW7Vx9gWc

The problem I have is that without proof, you have to give a pass. But his admission is proof. I would respect him for admitting it, but seems he only admitted it because he said it was the reason for his "false positive HIV test." I can't respect him obviously cheating, especially in a sport where someone could be killed. If Holyfield is given a hard time over "Evan Fields," this should be no different in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                      You wouldn't want to fight/argue with me, Poop Deck Pappy, the reason being that you cannot win, even with neutral judges, or come close to it.

Don't worry, I will not attack you. I respects me elders. I've saved your tender bacon from these young savages before, an' I'll do 'er again.

Now, exactly what I do during long forum lulls is force people to speak. This time it happened to be you. I didn't know who it would be, but obviously I figured it would be someone.

Why do I do it? Simple. I am paid to do it. Right now I do the same for fourteen other forums too. I create traffic with buzz. I make people speak when I have to.

Now I need you to go stand with your nose in the corner until I say you are excused.

You don't have to support me just because we are friends.

P.S. When we going out on the boat again?

P.S.S. How can I tell you all this publicly and still keep my job? Simple again. Telling you is controversial enough in itself to create buzz, which is why I am hired in the first place.

Internet forums are just honest houses of opinion. Right? Hee haw.

It is true that my employers issue me warnings all the time, but they do not fire me.

So you see, I am a leader--higher than a mod--and behind the scenes I boss mods. They like to chew me out in public sometimes to give the appearance of being in control, and I have to let them do this as a parameter of the job. But make no mistake about it--I BOSS MODS behind the scenes on fifteen forums. I do this for the owners of the sites who want your business, who want you speaking all the time because it brings in booty.
                      Lmao @ “poop deck pappy”

Comment

Working...
                      X