Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time? (tough question)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time? (tough question)

Poll: Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time?
    (That's actually a tough poll)- I added the boxrec links next to the fighters!

-Wilfred Benitez: boxrec

-Wilfredo Vazquez Sr.: boxrec

-Carlos Ortiz: boxrec

-Miguel Angel Cotto: boxrec

-Felix Trinidad: boxrec

-Hector Camacho Sr: boxrec

-Edwin Rosario: boxrec

-Wilfredo Gomez: boxrec

Wilfred Benitez
    29.73%
    Wilfredo Vazquez Sr.
    0.00%
    Carlos Ortiz
    16.22%
    Miguel Angel Cotto
    2.70%
    Felix Trinidad
    21.62%
    Hector Camacho Sr.
    5.41%
    Edwin Rosario
    0.00%
    Wilfredo Gomez
    24.32%
    Last edited by Salardo; 03-10-2012, 11:24 AM.

Carlos Ortiz.

And by quite a margin, in my opinion.

Comment

For the Ricans it will always be Tito.

Comment

I added the boxrec links next to the fighters.

Comment

I was tempted to vote for Benitez cause I love defensiver fighters and Benitez is one of the best who ever did it as far as defence is concerned. But he lost most of his biggest fights (Leonard, Hearns). Trinidad has a sick number of title defences and ruled for about 7 years at welterweight.
          Cotto is close to being the best ever in my opinion.
          Then we have old timers like Carlos Ortiz, Hall of Famer. It is a very difficult decision to say who is the greatest Puerto Rican ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Halls of Fame View Post
            I was tempted to vote for Benitez cause I love defensiver fighters and Benitez is one of the best who ever did it as far as defence is concerned. But he lost most of his biggest fights (Leonard, Hearns). Trinidad has a sick number of title defences and ruled for about 7 years at welterweight.
            Cotto is close to being the best ever in my opinion.
            Then we have old timers like Carlos Ortiz, Hall of Famer. It is a very difficult decision to say who is the greatest Puerto Rican ever.
            Benitez won big fights, he won more big fights than he lost - Cervantes, Duran, Palominio.

Miguel Cotto is no where near there. Not even in the argument an to be honest shouldn't be in the poll.

The argument is between Carlos Ortiz,Wilfredo Gomez and Benitez.

But in all honesty, it's pretty clearly Carlos Ortiz. His resume is far superior to almost everyone on the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              Benitez won big fights, he won more big fights than he lost - Cervantes, Duran, Palominio.

Miguel Cotto is no where near there. Not even in the argument an to be honest shouldn't be in the poll.

The argument is between Carlos Ortiz,Wilfredo Gomez and Benitez.

But in all honesty, it's pretty clearly Carlos Ortiz. His resume is far superior to almost everyone on the poll.
              I have Cotto in there cause nobody belongs into this list as much his him. Cause Cotto fought the toughest, best fighters in the world over and over and over again. Look at his record and you see one killer in his prime after the other, and Cotto got in the ring with ALL OF THEM. And at the end of the day he lost only against Pacquiao cause the first Margarito fight is in question because of the plaster of paris situation with Margarito.
              You dont have Trinidad in your top 3? I dont think Ortiz should be number one although he could be....

Comment

Poll: Which of those is the greatest Puerto Rican Boxer of all time?
                (That's actually a tough poll)- I added the boxrec links next to the fighters!

-Wilfred Benitez: boxrec

-Wilfredo Vazquez Sr.: boxrec

-Carlos Ortiz: boxrec

-Miguel Angel Cotto: boxrec

-Felix Trinidad: boxrec

-Hector Camacho Sr: boxrec

-Edwin Rosario: boxrec

-Wilfredo Gomez: boxrec

Ortiz. Then Benitez , then Gomez. ( IMO, benitez-gomez is interchangeable depending on style preference ). Then Tito. Then Vasquez. Then Camacho. Then Cotto.

Comment

I have Cotto in there cause nobody belongs into this list as much his him. Cause Cotto fought the toughest, best fighters in the world over and over and over again. Look at his record and you see one killer in his prime after the other, and Cotto got in the ring with ALL OF THEM. And at the end of the day he lost only against Pacquiao cause the first Margarito fight is in question because of the plaster of paris situation with Margarito.
                  You dont have Trinidad in your top 3? I dont think Ortiz should be number one although he could be....
                  In that case, where is Juan Laporte in your poll?

Juan Laporte always fought the best, look at his record. Look who he got in the ring with over and over and over again. Who Cotto fought pales in comparison to who Laporte fought.

Laporte fought; Chavez, Nelson, Sanchez, Gomez, Tszyu, McGuigan, Pedroza the list goes on.

He beat some good fighters too.

I don't see why a fighter should be ranked highly because he fought the best. Yeah, fighting the best is admirable but it's who you beat which elevates your greatness.

Miguel Cotto's resume simply is not even close to being in the argument to being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time. It just simply isn't. It pales in comparison to the ATG Rican's.

And I don't have Trinidad in my Top 3, no.

I don't consider Trinidad an ATG like I do Ortiz, Gomez and Benitez.

In my opinion it goes;

1. Ortiz
                  2. Benitez
                  3. Gomez

And those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Although, like I said, I can't really see how Ortiz isn't the greatest Rican fighter of all time.

His resume is so superior to everyone elses IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    In that case, where is Juan Laporte in your poll?

Juan Laporte always fought the best, look at his record. Look who he got in the ring with over and over and over again. Who Cotto fought pales in comparison to who Laporte fought.

Laporte fought; Chavez, Nelson, Sanchez, Gomez, Tszyu, McGuigan, Pedroza the list goes on.

He beat some good fighters too.

I don't see why a fighter should be ranked highly because he fought the best. Yeah, fighting the best is admirable but it's who you beat which elevates your greatness.

Miguel Cotto's resume simply is not even close to being in the argument to being the greatest Puerto Rican fighter of all time. It just simply isn't. It pales in comparison to the ATG Rican's.

And I don't have Trinidad in my Top 3, no.

I don't consider Trinidad an ATG like I do Ortiz, Gomez and Benitez.

In my opinion it goes;

1. Ortiz
                    2. Benitez
                    3. Gomez

And those 3 are head and shoulders above the rest.

Although, like I said, I can't really see how Ortiz isn't the greatest Rican fighter of all time.

His resume is so superior to everyone elses IMO.
                    honestly, I dont see how Benitez is higher than Cotto. Benitez also lost to Davey Moore and Hamsho (besides losing to Hearns and getting ko'ed by Leonard). a win against a blown up lightweight like Duran at 154 isnt exactly the greatest thing ever. I dont see anything Benitez or Gomez have done that would put them above Cotto really.
                    as for LaPorte: he lost all those fights against the big names. Cotto won all those fights against top fighters (almost all)

Comment

Working...
                    X