Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Ward-Kovalev outcome determine the P4P #1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that unless Roman Gonzalez does something crazy, one of the trio of Kovalev/Ward/Golovkin will be p4p#1. There's no way Ward doesn't fight at least one of them, and he could potentially fight both of them. That's why I understand him wanting to wait around for Golovkin, but it looks like he may not be able to now. Which is a shame.

And of course if either Golovkin or Kovalev beat Andre Ward, they are the p4p #1. I don't think it's even a debate without someone else pulling off a remarkable win. Lomachenko/Rigondeaux is the only fight I can think of which could provide the same status to the winner that Ward vs. Golovkin/Kovalev would.
    Roman is top 5, no doubt. Resume wise, he has one of the strongest in the sport at the moment. But its the overall accumulated body of work, I don't see any SINGLE win he could possibly get that would be bigger than a victory over Kovalev or Ward.

I agree, Lomachenko-Rigo would be the only other fight I can think of that one single win for either guy, would come close to having the same P4P implications.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
      one of the two can be crowned p4p #1 but so could GGG, Canelo, or Thurman.

Also if Gonzales beats Estrada again he would deserve to belong on top as he is now.
      What victories do you think GGG, Canelo or Thurman could have that would propel them to the top of the list? (besides Ward for GGG).

Gonzalez is already up there and a Estrada/Gonzalez victory for whoever wins when that happens next year is one of the top possible victories in the sport at the moment, but I think it falls just short of a victory over Ward/Kovalev

Comment

Originally posted by SilverMiles View Post
        Martin Murray is one win away from becoming the #1 SMW.
        James DeGale is the #1 SMW. Wins over Dirrell and potentially Bute > Abraham.

Also Badou Jack is #2 with victories over the other Dirrell and Groves.

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
          What victories do you think GGG, Canelo or Thurman could have that would propel them to the top of the list? (besides Ward for GGG).

Gonzalez is already up there and a Estrada/Gonzalez victory for whoever wins when that happens next year is one of the top possible victories in the sport at the moment, but I think it falls just short of a victory over Ward/Kovalev
          I dont know about Canelo and Thurman but for GGG, here they are

Lemiux, Canelo and Lee and all 3 are very strong possibilities too. Also the fact that he will be Undisputed champ by then + 3 wins away from breaking B-hops record. + Lara if he decides to move to 160.

Comment

kovalev-ward won't happen until late 2016 if it happens, which gives gonzalez plenty of time to rematch estrada and perhaps take on someone else like inoue or nietes. it would be pretty harsh to demote roman after a run like that

Comment

Ward is the #1 p4p fighter, so any fight that he's involved in will determine the p4p #1 fighter.

Comment

No it wouldn't Ward isn't highly rated enough on the P4P rankings.
                Maybe Kovalev/Ward could go upto 2nd.

Comment

Yes I think it's pretty safe to say that the winner of this fight would be the #1 P4P fighter.

Comment

I'd say it would be
                    #1 Roman
                    #2 Winner of Kovalev/Ward
                    #3 Winner of GGG/Lemieux/Cotto/Canelo.. however if winner of these 4 also fights Andy Lee and wins, he should be #2.

Comment

absolutely.

unlesss it was at 168 lbs and they had to wheel kovalev in.

that fight, at 175, is the most significant fight in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                      X