No announcement yet.

Today's division champions vs 1990-1991 division champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's division champions vs 1990-1991 division champions

How do the division champions of today fare against the champions of 1990-1991?

lightweight- Pernell Whitaker

jr welterweight- Julio Cesar Chavez

welterweight- Meldrick Taylor Buddy McGirt

jr middleweight- Terry Norris Vinny Pazienza

middleweight- Michael Nunn James Toney Julian Jackson

Heavyweight- Mike Tyson Evander Holyfield

I know I'm missing some divisions and a few names but I didn't want to bore you too much.

Originally posted by texasboi15 View Post
    How do the division champions of today fare against the champions of 1990-1991?

welterweight- Meldrick Taylor Buddy McGirt

jr middleweight- Terry Norris Vinny Pazienza

middleweight- Michael Nunn James Toney Julian Jackson

Heavyweight- Mike Tyson Evander Holyfield

I know I'm missing some divisions and a few names but I didn't want to bore you too much.
    Whitaker and Chavez would OWN Lightweight and Jr. Welter. Locked down.

Taylor and McGirt would struggle with Floyd and Manny; I'd favor today in any pair.

There isn't a single Middle in the top ten, much less the champ, right now who could beat Nunn or Toney (or McCallum) if they were on. Jackson...could be in a good fight with Serg. Not sure who lands first there.

Mike by 1990 has trouble with either Klit; Vitali and 90/91 Holy is a war of epic proportions; Holy breaks Wlad's soul.

Comment

ooOOOoOOh...1990 Evander vs the Klitchkos....that would definitely be sick

Comment

it's surprising to know that in that early 90s, chavez sr was the champ at a higher weight than whitaker but when they fought a year later, chavez had to ask for a catchweight. whitaker basically fought up 3 weights in a year time just like pac.

Comment

Great post TS. Amazing to see how many hallmark names were running things that point in boxing.

1990 Holyfield vs Vitali would be an absolute classic, classic heavyweight contest.

Comment

Great post TS. Amazing to see how many hallmark names were running things that point in boxing.

1990 Holyfield vs Vitali would be an absolute classic, classic heavyweight contest.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
              ooOOOoOOh...1990 Evander vs the Klitchkos....that would definitely be sick
              Yeah. Would be somewhat like Bowe vs Holyfield. Love the 10 or 11th rd of Bowe - Holyfield I.

Comment

welterweight- Now if you don't put Whitaker here. Pac vs Taylor would be interesting.

jr middleweight- Not sure

middleweight- James Toney

Heavyweight- Bowe ( I think Bowe, Holyfield can take on the Klits )

Divisions in 1990-91 is better?

Comment

Working...
                X