No announcement yet.

Shadow boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow boxing

What dose this help? I shadowbox quite alot but ive never really been told what it does..

technique, to work on your angles and form

Comment

Originally posted by megadude View Post
      technique, to work on your angles and form
      and stamina

Comment

Originally posted by DJ QUIK View Post
        and stamina
        stamina comes simply from pushing yourself, shadow boxing is specific for that or nothin though

but yea, guess it can help

Comment

Warming up.

Comment

it puts everything together. technique, combination punching, defense, speed, stamina, footwork (e.g. ring movement and pivoting off the front foot to create angles). while shadowboxing can be done anywhere, it is good to have a mirror to ensure proper technique. i prefer shadowboxing in the ring b/c it gets you acclimated to the ring environment. i talked to luis collazo about shadowboxing and what he said and showed me helped me out tremendously... so much that i feel that my skills have made huge gains in just the last 2 months. in short, he said that the best way to shadowbox is to anticipate reactions from an imaginary opponent so it is just like sparring or fighting in a sense. this way,you are always doing either 1 of 2 things: 1 punching, or 2. moving (with your feet or head/body via slipping/weaving).

Here is an example sequence i may start with that illuminates what Lou was saying. Throw a 1-2 combo, weave right under your imaginary opponents counterhook. step to the right and throw 2-3 combo, then weave left under the counter 2. when i step left. i step with my left foot first (i should mention i am orthodox by the way, so this is my lead foot) and then pivot with it so that i swing my right foot around. this way i am not just moving side-to-side, but there is a 3 dimensional component. you are circling your opponent and forcing him to turn around to prepare for your next punch. you can rinse and repeat this sequence, or step out of range when you are finished throwing....

i use weights intermittently. i start without weights for 1 round, then grab the 1 lb weights for a round, then 2 lbs, then 3 lbs, then i work my way back down to no weight, thus making for about 7 rounds total. by the end of the sequence, i am very warmed up and i am punching MUCH faster than when i started.

When asked "how do you punch faster?" Bruce Lee responded, "punch faster!" When I shadowbox, I try and punch as fast as I can, almost focusing on bringing the punch back faster then I throw it. In combination punching, I feel I can will myself to punch faster by exhaling with my punches faster. anyway, i have found shadowboxing to be the most helpful thing in developing my skill short of sparring....

Comment

Originally posted by mspiegelo View Post
              it puts everything together. technique, combination punching, defense, speed, stamina, footwork (e.g. ring movement and pivoting off the front foot to create angles). while shadowboxing can be done anywhere, it is good to have a mirror to ensure proper technique. i prefer shadowboxing in the ring b/c it gets you acclimated to the ring environment. i talked to luis collazo about shadowboxing and what he said and showed me helped me out tremendously... so much that i feel that my skills have made huge gains in just the last 2 months. in short, he said that the best way to shadowbox is to anticipate reactions from an imaginary opponent so it is just like sparring or fighting in a sense. this way,you are always doing either 1 of 2 things: 1 punching, or 2. moving (with your feet or head/body via slipping/weaving).

Here is an example sequence i may start with that illuminates what Lou was saying. Throw a 1-2 combo, weave right under your imaginary opponents counterhook. step to the right and throw 2-3 combo, then weave left under the counter 2. when i step left. i step with my left foot first (i should mention i am orthodox by the way, so this is my lead foot) and then pivot with it so that i swing my right foot around. this way i am not just moving side-to-side, but there is a 3 dimensional component. you are circling your opponent and forcing him to turn around to prepare for your next punch. you can rinse and repeat this sequence, or step out of range when you are finished throwing....

i use weights intermittently. i start without weights for 1 round, then grab the 1 lb weights for a round, then 2 lbs, then 3 lbs, then i work my way back down to no weight, thus making for about 7 rounds total. by the end of the sequence, i am very warmed up and i am punching MUCH faster than when i started.

When asked "how do you punch faster?" Bruce Lee responded, "punch faster!" When I shadowbox, I try and punch as fast as I can, almost focusing on bringing the punch back faster then I throw it. In combination punching, I feel I can will myself to punch faster by exhaling with my punches faster. anyway, i have found shadowboxing to be the most helpful thing in developing my skill short of sparring....
              Those are really excellent comments!

The only thing that I would add, is that you can practice for different situations. For example, you can shadowbox as if you are boxing against an aggressive slugger, where you have to be defensive and keep moving off the angles, or against a boxer like Ali, where you have to move forward. You can also practice different timing, like regular pace, and then fast flurries for a minute as a way to change up the practice. That way you can practice punching faster, as mspiegelo said.

Shadow boxing is good for a lot of stuff. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Uchi Deshi View Post
                Those are really excellent comments!

The only thing that I would add, is that you can practice for different situations. For example, you can shadowbox as if you are boxing against an aggressive slugger, where you have to be defensive and keep moving off the angles, or against a boxer like Ali, where you have to move forward. You can also practice different timing, like regular pace, and then fast flurries for a minute as a way to change up the practice. That way you can practice punching faster, as mspiegelo said.

Shadow boxing is good for a lot of stuff. Keep it up!
                thanks this is true is as well. as an amateur you always have to mentally prepare for different types of boxers. unfortunately, we don't have the luxury that pros do of being able to prepare for specific opponents for months, study tape, and come up with game plans. we have to be prepared for everyone, from boxers, to punchers, runners, stalkers, taller fighters, shorter inside pressure fighters, etc... shadowboxing is a great way to incorporate different approaches on a round by round or day by day basis so that we are ready for any and everything....

Comment

When I first started I use to shadow alot even when I was chilling at home. It helps your visualisation and imagination alot. Use your imagination to get your shots perfect. It helps your form and technique, your stamina and you can warm up or cool down with it. If you didn't realise this when you were doing it, then maybe you were not concentrating.

Comment

Working...
                  X