Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Should Adonis vs. Andre, B-Hop Be Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Should Adonis vs. Andre, B-Hop Be Next?

by David P. Greisman - To be a fan of the sport of boxing is to have dual desires.

We want to see great fights, to be entertained and enthralled, to witness moments that render us speechless, that make us scream and that leave us talking for days afterward.

We also want to see the best fight the best. There are no seasons in the Sweet Science, but there are storylines, and in our minds the main characters must ultimately meet before we can know which of them truly is the better fighter.

Sometimes these dual desires becoming dueling desires.

That mental conflict is evident in a discussion about a physical conflict — about who Adonis Stevenson should face next after defeating Chad Dawson by technical knockout, a win that came on the strength of one left hand landed in the first half of the first round.

That punch installed Stevenson as the new, true light heavyweight champion. He had barely finished an ecstatic celebration before he was asked to step out of his present jubilation and focus on the future.

He mentioned Bernard Hopkins, a former lineal light heavyweight champion who had lost that label to Dawson last year. Hopkins, a 48-year-old wonder, recently collected a world title with a win over Tavoris Cloud.

He also mentioned Andre Ward, the lineal champion of the super middleweight division, and a man whose superiority at 168 has become so evident that some fans and observers want him to move up to 175. [Click Here To Read More]

Forget those fights, Bellew in Liverpool is what I want! Would be a brilliant atmosphere and a great scalp for Bellew if he could pull it off.

Comment

B.Hop can school the crown off that dude and defend it against Ward.....in my perfect world!!!

Comment

b-hop whoops this kid..... and i know he wants it.....

but ward needs it.... cos he really has no options.

Comment

Ward needs 2 stay @ '68...AS has 2 much siz3, taher c Andre go 2 '60...let hopkins take it as he has backed ot on fightng his "great friend" Ward...

Comment

That doesn't make sense. You don't stop fighting in the middle of the round, turn your back and walk away because 'ow my eye hurt'. You also didn't argue the stoppage when it happened either.

Comment

Boxing pundits already not so eager to match Stevenson with P4P superstar Ward.

Comment

Regardless of what Jim Lamply says, B-Hop and Ward are obviously the most logical next steps for Stevenson. Clearly, Lamply and HBO have an agenda and that's why he shot down the B-Hop and Ward fights immediately. Him not wanting Stevenson to fight B-Hop is obvious. HBO is no longer doing business with GBP. Therefore if Stevenson-Hopkins happen, it would be on Showtime. As for Ward, HBO is hoping to eventually build him into a PPV fighter. And right now, they are giving Froch and GGG major pushes in order to build them into big time dance partners for future PPV events with Ward. Stevenson is still green to the public, and they wanna let that fight marinate. Either way, I hope Stevenson goes after and gets one of these guys. Forget HBO and whatever way they try and steer him.

Comment

Ex-pimp Adonis is full of good humour… Stevenson to call B-Hop or Ward next?… Adonis knows that neither Hopkins nor Ward would accept the challenge… They will both say that Adonis is not tested yet…
                  Fortunately, Adonis has big purse fights at home — Pascal or Bute… Unless Hearn invites him to fight Froch in London…

Ward (P4P big star) will never fight again.
                  Unless Chavez Jr. accepts an Oakland fight at the catch weight of 170 lbs.

Comment

I'm all for a Provodnikov keep-busy fight on HBO. As long as I've known about him he's been a joy to watch. Just put it on the undercard, please. I seriously can't stand having the equivalent on a Friday Night Fights main event as the featured bout of the evening on BAD or ShoBox. Maybe that's a bit pretentious, but there's a reason I pay for HBO and Showtime. Don't get me wrong, I love FNF. I just prefer FNF stays on ESPN2.

Comment

Working...
                    X