No announcement yet.

How to throw a check hook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to throw a check hook

First off, as a naturally right handed southpaw fighter, I LOVE the check hook. So effective against right handed fighters. But I've seen guys throw it with different techniques.

Technique #1 - Floyd Mayweather vs. Ricky Hatton (Pivot Out)

Throwing a hook while your opponent is moving forward leaves you a bit open. With this technique, you pivot out away from potential punches at the same time you throw the hook.

Good = Virtually no chance of getting hit in exchange.
    Bad = The hook won't have much power

Technique #2 Nonito Donaire vs. Vic Darchinyan (Block and Counter in Pocket)

This is actually may favorite way although it's more risky. Donaire tucks his chin and body behind his right hand and arm to catch a straight left should it get through, but doing so allows him to plant his feet and get full power on the hook. Particularly useful against opposite handed fighters to protect against straight punch.

Good = Limited chance of getting hit in exchange
    Better = Hook will have devastating power

Any other techniques useful with the check hook?

As I understand it the check hook is when an opponent is coming forward and you hook him while pivoting out of the way.

If you aren't pivoting out then it's not a check hook.

Comment

That Donaire hook is just a counter. Floyd is illustrating the check-hook. As the guy above me said, if there's no pivot out, why glorify a counter?

Comment

PM me.....

Comment

I would also preferred way although it's more dangerous. Donaire tucks his chin area and system behind his right side and arm to capture a directly remaining should it get through, but doing so allows him to place his legs and get complete energy on the connect.

The Transformation Spot - Cary Personal Trainer
          Last edited by Dasim22; 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X