No announcement yet.

Defense for beginner southpaw??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense for beginner southpaw??

In a nut shell I'm a southpaw and my defense sucks.

I get hit alot by a decent straight right.

Any tips??

hold ur left hand in the center of ur face rather than at the side....

pretty basic and simple but i could help u picj off and block those rights...

Comment

Keep your hands up, don't square up and most importantly, circle away from your opponents power hand.

Comment

Are you right handed or left handed? people who are right hand dominant have harder time reacting to things with their left eye then right eye, so a right hand is harder to see coming and react to.

Comment

ok just try this, easy but effective: when you spar, step your front foot OUTSIDE of his front foot. that way his right hand is more out of line with your head and your left hand is more in line with his head. it'll help somewhat.

Comment

lefites are very succeptable to left hooks and right str8s'....my answer is...footwork..move...step in give ur shots and get out...learn pivots..simple step backs etc...

Comment

Thanks guys all taken on board and will try next sparring session..green K coming for all of u once I get on laptop

Comment

Everbody has great advice, the simplest way imo is to simply circle the guy to the right while throwing your own left

Comment

oh yea and the most effective punches for you are your left straight and your right hook of course! i thought that was a given, but i'm telling just to be sure.

Comment

Always circle to your right. If your not punching, circle to your right. Move to your right always.

After you throw punches and you want to escape the range, move out towards your right.

Your getting punches thrown at your face. Move out of range by going to your right at an angle.

Never a straight line back and never move to your left. Not when your a beginner.

Comment

Working...
                    X