Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "in his prime"?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it mean to say that a fighter is "in his prime"?

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "past his prime"?

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post

What does it mean to say that a fighter is "past his prime"?
    As I explained to you in the other threads, basically:
    1.) Being on top of your game.
    2.) Being in tip-top shape, both physically and mentally.
    3.) Having and maintaining the sharpened skills necessary to beat opponents who face you.
    4.) Defeating all (or at least most) of the opponents you face.

Comment

A fighter is in his prime when he has the maturity and experience to go along with undiminished reflexes. Once his reflexes start to slide he's past-prime, simple as that. When his reflexes are gone he's a shot fighter. Age has nothing to do it beyond the fact that I can't recall seeing a fighter older than his early 30s that still had his reflexes fully intact.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
        A fighter is in his prime when he has the maturity and experience to go along with undiminished reflexes. Once his reflexes start to slide he's past-prime, simple as that. When his reflexes are gone he's a shot fighter. Age has nothing to do it beyond the fact that I can't recall seeing a fighter older than his early 30s that still had his reflexes fully intact.

Poet
        roy jones when most of his reflexes left him along with his freakish athleticism, and with no solid fundamentals to rely on became a very beatable fighter...

very much in contrast to fighters with excellent longevity relying with their fundamentals to compete against younger and bigger foes like duran and hopkins...

Comment

Originally posted by GymRat View Post
          As I explained to you in the other threads, basically:
          1.) Being on top of your game.
          2.) Being in tip-top shape, both physically and mentally.
          3.) Having and maintaining the sharpened skills necessary to beat opponents who face you.
          4.) Defeating all (or at least most) of the opponents you face.
          By that definition, a fighter's prime could consist of only one fight. Is that acceptable?

Comment

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
            roy jones when most of his reflexes left him along with his freakish athleticism, and with no solid fundamentals to rely on became a very beatable fighter...

very much in contrast to fighters with excellent longevity relying with their fundamentals to compete against younger and bigger foes like duran and hopkins...
            Some fighters are able to make adjustments and continue to have success after they reach past-prime status.....some, like roy jones, can't.

Poet

Comment

For me, it's starts when a boxer is physically and mentally mature, we know that it will be different for every boxer.

For exemple: i'm 42 now and consider myself way past prime. From what i can remembered, i was prime from 25 to 35, at 38 i was past prime. I still have power, but at 25 i could go to the gym 6 times a week and run 6 km a day, at 42 i would be dead if i was doing that !

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                By that definition, a fighter's prime could consist of only one fight. Is that acceptable?
                Sure. Maybe not acceptable, but it can be that way. Mostly fighters are in their prime for a streak of 10 or more fights or so, so being prime for only one fight is rare. If a prime Roberto Duran beat someone clearly and most skillfully and then took two years off and partied, got fat, didn't train, and dropped the ball entirely and then fought the same person he steamrolled last fight and he lost embarrassingly this time (or won, either way), he would no longer be in his prime.

Comment

When the boxer is healthy and has experience against elite level fighters , or at least dangerous opponents.

Comment

On here it means when Tyson was champion and unbeatable by any other fighter in history.

Comment

Working...
                    X