Poll: Les Darcy Vs Harry Greb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Les Darcy Vs Harry Greb

A fight that very nearly happened..

Both fighters were very similar in ability & fighting styles..
    Both of their lives were cut short due to injuries suffered in the ring..
    Both were victims of primitive medical negligence..

All 'old school' Please reply...
    Darcy KO/TKO
    0.00%
    Darcy DC
    0.00%
    Greb KO/TKO
    0.00%
    Greb DC
    100.00%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
    A fight that very nearly happened..

Both fighters were very similar in ability & fighting styles..
    Both of their lives were cut short due to injuries suffered in the ring..
    Both were victims of primitive medical negligence..

All 'old school' Please reply...

Its great to see Les Darcy in threads now.

In terms of this matchup its very hard to tip against Greb. Althought Les was good, we never saw his best, so because of that factor id have to go with Greb, But dont count out Darcy.

Good thread Mickey

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
      Its great to see Les Darcy in threads now.

In terms of this matchup its very hard to tip against Greb. Althought Les was good, we never saw his best, so because of that factor id have to go with Greb, But dont count out Darcy.

Good thread Mickey
      Agreed... Greb actually achieved ATG status.. Darcy only just missed out..
      On what we know, Greb takes it, probably by UD though cos Darcy was a tough hobre for sure.. Les Darcy was an ATG waiting to happen, but we'll never know for sure what heights he could have aspired to.. Where as Greb became the one and only man to put a dent in the resume of great HW, Gene Tunney.. So we can safely say that we know a bit more about him.. Regards MM

Comment

Obviously you have to respect Les Darcy and the obvious potential he had.
        Do wonder (and I am sure to get totally shot down for this) whether there is an element of the James Dean here. I was alive and kicking in James Dean's day and he was good but rely on my fading memory he was by no means as huge as is mentioned he was now.
        So I think his early death may have helped his legend rather than hindered it.
        Totally not disrespecting Darcy just trying to maybe put his career into context.
        Greb walked the walk whereas Darcy was taking his first steps before being tragically cut down.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
          Do wonder (and I am sure to get totally shot down for this) whether there is an element of the James Dean here. I was alive and kicking in James Dean's day and he was good but rely on my fading memory he was by no means as huge as is mentioned he was now.
          Totally not disrespecting Darcy just trying to maybe put his career into context.
          Greb walked the walk whereas Darcy was taking his first steps before being tragically cut down.
          Sure... First steps in those days were 40 odd fights..
          However... Greb faught considerably more & in better company..
          Greb's the man.. Darcy may have been...

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Agreed... Greb actually achieved ATG status.. Darcy only just missed out..
            On what we know, Greb takes it, probably by UD though cos Darcy was a tough hobre for sure.. Les Darcy was an ATG waiting to happen, but we'll never know for sure what heights he could have aspired to.. Where as Greb became the one and only man to put a dent in the resume of great HW, Gene Tunney.. So we can safely say that we know a bit more about him.. Regards MM
            DARCY IS ATG............ end of story....... Most people have no idea how good Les was... Seeing as though the poll has ended, I'm going to say that Darcy would have grown to become better than even Harry Greb.................. Les is Absolutely an A.T.G....... and I thank all the organizations that have rightfully given him that recognition.... Kudos to the Halls of Fame.

Comment

They weren't the same fighting styles from what I've saw/read.

Anyway I'll take Greb decision for his better MW pedigree, I don't think Darcy could have become better than Greb as far as resume goes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
                I understand you said that before I was around....... but seriously though, I don't know of anybody who's greater because they died at 21,... than they would have had if they'd reached old age..... yes I'd say that death at age 21 is a HINDRANCE........ He proved in his domination of the division,... against some guys that gave Greb headaches.... McGoorty and Smith for instance.

Comment

25 year old Darcy defeats GREB anyway,..... his resume wouldn't matter Head to Head....... his resume would have been better at the time (1922).

Comment

Working...
                  X